“Had a wonderful stay”

Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Washington, DC
“Had a wonderful stay”
Reviewed 8 August 2006

I stayed in a tower room, 2 queens, for 3 days ($139/night) and was pleasantly surprised. It was roomy and the bathroom was clean and spacious. I dined at two of their restaurants and found it to be fresh and delicious. All of the staff including the cleaning lady, front desk and restaurant waiters were very friendly and helpful during my visit. I would stay at the Riverside Hotel again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not being within walking distance of the beach
  • Tips/Secrets — the tower rooms are great, I am not sure about the older section of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank tkatrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 April 2006

I keep reading about these people who had views, and I wonder why I had no view. Literally, no view. The rooms were painted with a frosted color and the windows did not open. (I had 2 rooms and both rooms were like this.)

I had major problems with the AC not working in the first room, and I had to call the front desk 3 times in a period of 6 hours. The first 2 times they assured me maintenance would come up "right away". The 3rd time they insisted he had come and fixed the problem. I had left a note for the mtc man in the door, and the note was exactly where I left it. I don't care for liars.

I went in person to the front desk after the lie and asked to be moved to another room, which they did do. While the AC did work in this room, the toilet did not flush. I asked again for mtc to come to my room, but after 30 minutes, he'd still not come and it was around 10:00P and I was ready for bed.

In both rooms, by the way, there are sheer drapes and heavy drapes, but the heavy drapes don't close at all (there's no string or pully - they are designed that way, so the sunlight was streaming into the room at 6:30A the next day. Way to spend your vacation, hu?

I asked again in the morning for mtc to come and when I checked out, 5 hours later, he had still not come.

When I checked out, I was asked how my stay was. I told the woman, "It was awful". I explained what had happened and her response was "I'm glad you told me so the next guest won't have a problem."

THE NEXT GUEST???

Now for some positives --- it's in a great location - very near a water bus stop, right on Las Olas Blvd for some good shopping and restaurants, and The Grill Restaurant was delicious and offered fantastic service. The bed was great.

But for $225/night? No way. Not even for $50/night. As a matter of fact, I contacted the hotel when I got back home and they sent their apologies and a complimentary one night stay. If I wanted to stay in a hot room that I couldn't see out of, wake up at the crack of dawn due to sunlight, and end up with an outhouse smell in my room, I might consider it. But the way I see it, there are way too many hotels in Ft Lauderdale to endure that.

8 Thank Felicia D
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2006

Our stay started badly in the old part of the hotel - small rooms with narrow beds (at least by US standards), tiny bathrooms, broken blinds and overlooking the road that runs behind the hotel with noise from the street. Overall, the rooms seemed hideously overpriced, even for the hotel's location on Las Olas Blvd. Also, despite booking over 6 months in advance, when we arrived the hotel was unable to accommodate us in the adjacent rooms we had requested. The final straw was the air conditioning which would have been funny - it was so ridiculously noisy - had it not kept us awake all night!! When I complained the next morning, we were given a free upgrade to rooms in the Tower - it was as if we were in a completely different hotel as the rooms are so much better in every respect and the air con purrs discreetly. Views from the Tower are spectacular - day and night (see photos). Public areas of the hotel are nice as is the pool although it is across the way. Room service was prompt. I was told rooms in the Tower are normally $40 extra and I would say either be prepared to pay for that or go elsewhere.

7 Thank Sue W
tampa,fl
Reviewed 17 April 2006

The stay at this hotel was above average. The location was excellent,right on Los Olas Blvd. You can valet park the car for a charge or use a parking garage across the street also for a charge,but less than valet. We had two rooms as we had children. The checkin staff was very helpful in getting us rooms adjoining. The lobby was clean and updated with 2 fireplaces. We had rooms in the newly renovated "Tommy Bahama" furnished rooms. The rooms were very clean. Be prepared for a smaller sized room than normal especially the bathroom. The bathrooms were clean with great products but extremely small. The view to the river was obstructed by trees. The only negative part of this stay was their Indigo restaurant staff. They were not too welcoming, we felt especially towards families. The service was also below average. You are better off eating at all the other wonderful restaurants and cafes on the Blvd.
We would definately stay here again.

6 Thank tampa,fl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2006

I have stayed here twice in the last month. First time I stayed in one of the tower rooms and it was nice, but overpriced. Last week I stayed in a classic room, priced at 140.00 per night. I was appalled by the room. The square footage of the room seemed like maybe 130 square feet. Not only was the room small, but the air conditioner was noisy, most of the windows would not open and those that did open had to be propped up to keep them open. The windows are so loose in the frames that you need to stuff wash cloths in between so they don’t rattle. The carpet was frayed and the iron leaked water. The toilet was leaking and had to be replaced during my stay. The room charge should have been 35.00 per night. In addition they will tell you that they will give you a corporate discount, but they don’t. They also advertise that they are part of the Entertainment discount group, but offer no discount. Final comments, never again, they should be ashamed to offer such sub standard rooms. One more thing the service at the bar, well it doesn’t exist.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hilton Head Island, SC
Reviewed 6 March 2006

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at the Riverside Hotel. Nice change from the beach area, and fun to walk to shops, King Tut exhibit at the art museum and restaurants. Had a great dinner at the Grill Restaurant at the hotel-pricey but excellent service and good food. Our room in the tower overlooked the city and the New River, and we enjoyed coffee on the balcony as the sun came up and we watched the city come alive. Fun also to look out at the lights and relax on the balacony before bed. We booked room directly with the hotel which guaranteed a tower room for only $4.00 more than the website which goes through Utel Hotels, and was better deal than discount websites which had only non balcony rooms in older part of hotel. Our rate of $224 first weekend in March included continental breakfast. Hotel personnel were friendly, efficient and responsive. Heated swimming pool overlooking New River and it was fun to sit at the pool and watch the yachts go by. Was a 15 minute drive to the ballpark to watch Dodger Spring Training game and water taxiis stop about a block away from hotel.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Lovemypooch
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 6 March 2006

Previous reviews made mention of the poor condition of the rooms in the main hotel, they were exactly right. Unless you are guaranteed a room in the tower building, do not stay at this hotel. The room felt like a college dorm; cramped, terrible furniture, tiny bathroom, noisy, and dirty. While the location is good, there are other options in this area that seem much more worth the $200 this hotel charges. As a regular traveler, I've seen a lot of good and bad hotel rooms; this was one of the worst. The hotel informed us they are in the process of rennovating all the rooms, but when we asked to be moved they told us it would cost more. The one and only redeeming quality was the pool, which was pretty and sat right along the river. However, I will never stay at this hotel again and would discourage anyone else from staying here either.

• Stayed February 2006