“Horrible Service-a very embarassing and miserable experience”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #22 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 2 April 2010

My husband and I were in town for 1 day and wanted to treat our friends that we hadn't seen for 15 years to a nice meal. The wait staff was rude and unattentive from the start-From the extensive wine list we tried ordering 3 different bottles of wine and after 25 minutes, we found out that they were out of all 3 kinds. I ordered the scallops and was finally told 30 minute later that they were out of the scallops. The dish I settled for came out cold, as did my guests dishes as well but we were so hungry at this point and I was embarassed to make any more of a scene. In addition, they did not bring out our soups we ordered before the meal and when I told the waiter, he said he would check and only after I had to get up and hunt down a waiter to tell him to forget the soup at this point, they brought them out after the meal. The bread was almost Frozen in the middle and no one came to refill water glasses or ask if we wanted coffee or dessert. To add insult to injury, on the check I discovered that they charged us for the scallops and it took a long tome to get the check corrected. The attitude of the staff was the most irritating-totally arrogant and unapologetic! I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Coram_NYPharmd08

Reviewed 30 March 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Riverside. Check-in was efficient & staff very friendly. Rooms clean and beds comfortable. We stayed in the tower room - 10th floor - beautiful wrap around balcony. Price was more than we really wanted to pay but I guess it is the going rate for a clean room in this location.
Felt very comfortable walking during the evening on Las Olas Blvd. Close to water taxi - an experience not to be missed!!!
Only downside...if there was one...pool across the street (quiet) - not a problem for us with teenagers but might be with small children. Pool area has lots of towels, washroom facilities, lounge chairs and a view of the intercoastal waterway.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank warwicknan
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I have taken many cruises from Port Everglades. I was scheduled to leave on a cruise on 03/20/2010. I decided at the last moment(A week and half before departure) to arrive in FLL on friday instead of saturday. I needed a room for friday night. All of the rates I saw for one night were just way too high. I figured I would try priceline for the first time, and I was NOT disappointed. I bid $ 99.00 for a room and ended up with the Riverside Hotel. This hotel is beautiful. It is in a great location. The place is VERY clean(Spotless). The people that work here are extremly helpful and nice. Everyone I walked past said hello. We arrived @ 7:00pm on friday 03/19/2010. I asked if we could have a room in the tower, as from what I read, this was the nicest part of the hotel. The girl at the checkin desk was more than accomadating. Not only did she give us a room in the tower, but one with a balcony that gave us a great view of the river. I was not expecting to get a hotel this nice for only $ 99.00. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is in a great location. My wife and I walked up and down Las Olas. There are MANY places to eat and shop. It was a great, and unexpected evening that we had. The next morning, I asked the bellman for a cab, which was there in 2 minutes. We were off to Port Everglades in no time. If you can get this place on priceline, you will be VERY happy. I would stay here again. The hotel was worth twice what we paid.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rpach10115
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel on a Friday night, prior to embarking on a cruise. I got the hotel by successfully bidding on Priceline, and had heard good things about it. I was VERY pleased and would highly recommend. I arrived at the hotel in a rainstorm at 11AM, and was cheerfully greeted and told that my room was available. It is in the old wing of the hotel, which I expected considering the great rate I got, and while the room was old, it was very clean, comfortable and the halls were quiet. It had a lovely view of the cruiseport too! The location right on Las Olas just can't be beat-upscale shops, restaurants, sidewalk cafe's, etc. all right out the door, on a lovely tree-lined street with the canals and boats right behind the hotel. I found a wonderful Italian Bakery for lunch and we had a nice dinner too. The next morning the concierge told us about a fun diner type place for breakfast that we walked to and really enjoyed. It was just a perfect location and a wonderful way to start our vacation!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I stayed with a friend in The Riverside Hotel In Ft. Lauderdale for 3 days and it is a very nice hotel, more for like a business travelers , really comfortable and the location it was what I expected of, I stayed in that hotel a couple years back so I thought it could be a good idea to stay in once again...

When I left the hotel to check out I was in such a hurry that I left my laptop behind on top of the bed linens since my laptop it was white color I totally did not see it since I thought my friend would have it and he wasn't. After a little while (close to 45 mins) I asked my friend to let me have my laptop and he told me he did not have that I left it on the bed and he thought I had it which I did not...
I called the hotel and explained that I left my laptop behind m the front desk transfer me to the security people of the hotel and I advised them I had left my laptop and that I was on my way back and I was about 10 mins away... When I get to the hotel I talked to the the head of security and he walked me to my room to look for my laptop explaining me that the room was still the way that I left it and that my laptop should it be there, we get to the room and we found out nothing, but strangely the beds in the room were stripped down and the room we looked for the computer and there was nowhere to be found, one of the staff from the security people bizarrely complained to us that we left the room a mess which t was totally not call for... Then we wait for them to review the surveillance cameras so they could found out, we request to see the was it was recorded and they did not allowed us to that arguing that the guests are not allowed to review them film.
We called then the Police of Ft. Lauderdale , the question me and my friends and we told them the truth, then they proceed to talk to the Housekeeper manager and the Head of Security along with I believe it was the General MAnager of the hotel... The officer then came back and became threatening to my friends and he was more worry about my friends having a legal stay in the country other than the main reason they were call for, we then proceed to accept their explanation and then they assure us that will do an effort and look more careful to find my laptop and if they were to find it to ship it right in .

One thing that still bothering until now it is that I am pretty much sure i left my laptop behind and that someone took it and just did not want to get it back, and it is just absurd they cannot find it because I know I left the hotel without my property and I have the feeling that they were covering their backs there just to let it go quiet, I lost my information i had in my laptop and was empty handed... It is a shame we had such a experience in a renowned hotel of that city .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yessenia83
Reviewed 3 March 2010

This is the third year I've stayed here - every time I come to town for this annual business trip, I choose the Riverside. And this year they welcomed me back like I was a monthly guest. They even upgraded me from the older part of the hotel to the modern towers. A note on the older part of the hotel - that wing is still charming and I've always enjoyed staying there. The rooms are a bit smaller, but very comfortable. My tower room was fantastic, with a view of the city. Every room I've stayed in is impeccably clean and the service staff is excellent. The concierge and front desk are always helpful, the business center is accessible and easy to use. I didn't swim in the pool this trip, but I did last year and it was delightful. The pool area is across the street from the hotel and in a nice private space on a canal where you can watch the luxury boats go past. The location is fantastic - convenient to great shopping and food. It's a pleasure to stay here and I will continue to be a guest here and to recommend people stay here when they come to Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Phlyjets
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I stayed at the hotel for a weekend as part of a wedding party. The location is great, but there the greatness ends. The hotel is resting on its laurels, or perhaps just resting. While the lobby is pretty, the rooms themselves are old-ish looking (tired looking bedspreads,etc.); the beds themselves are uncomfortable; and no one in our party could turn their heat/air on or off (the fans were blasting in each room the whole weekend). The curtains do not close, and there are no blackout type shades, so the rooms are quite bright at night. Showers were tepid with lousy water pressure. And then there's the service...or lack thereof. Housekeeping didn't get to our friends' room until the evening (at which point our friends said, don't bother). The outside portion of the restaurant is a lovely place to sit and have breakfast, but it's overpriced ($25 for fruit, a bagel and coffee) and trying to flag the waiters down for additional coffee proved so difficult it was actually comical (when we finally got someone's attention, he filled ONE cup and then tried to dash away without giving anyone else a refill, then came back and filled two more cups, and finally came back and filled the fourth cup after we all started yelling, wait, come back!) We called in advance of our stay to ask about gym facilities, and were told that while there was no on-site gym, that hotel guests could use a gym a block away from the hotel for free. Once we got there, though, we learned that the gym is about four blocks away, and not free. No one seemed terribly concerned that we had been given the wrong information. The front desk said we could get vouchers from the concierge so that the gym would only cost $5, but the concierge seemed irritated that we asked him for the vouchers. (The gym itself was very basic, but fine.) We needed a taxi one evening, and when we asked where we could get one, the person at reception just gestured in the direction of the street and said, you can probably find one out there. Finally, we had a very early flight Sunday morning, so on Saturday evening, we asked the concierge about getting a ride to the airport. She recommended getting a car, since she said the taxis were unreliable, and said she'd make sure one was there for us at 6:30 the next morning. Great, right? Well, when we came down the next morning, we found no car, because all the streets surrounding the hotel were CLOSED FOR A MARATHON. You would think, wouldn't you, that the concierge might have had this on her radar? Since there was no concierge on duty, we asked the gentleman at the front desk for assistance, and he provided absolutely zero. Essentially, he told us that the streets would open about an hour after the marathon, and we could get a cab then (long after our flight had departed, of course). We asked him to give us the name of any car service (he had no record of which company the concierge had contacted), or to direct us to a point where we might be able to catch a cab on our own, but he was a complete deer in the headlights and eventually just disappeared into the back, never to return. We were about to strike out on our own, when someone (perhaps the manager?) in a gray suit arrived--he was seriously the only on-the-ball person we saw the entire weekend--he whipped out his cell phone and had a cab for us in two minutes. Unless the man in gray can use his magical powers to whip the rest of the hotel into similar efficient shape, this place is in trouble, especially with all the fabulous new hotels over at the beach. If I'm ever back in town, I am not going anywhere near the Riverside (unless it's to Big City Tavern across the street, which was wonderful).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends