“A couple pros, a few too many cons.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Cape Coral, Florida
“A couple pros, a few too many cons.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Let me start with the positive aspects of this hotel...
It is in an awesome location. Right on Las Olas blvd, atop the Cheesecake factory. Basically surrounded by fancy little restaurants, clubs, shops, boutiques. You don't have to drive to grab a bite to eat. A note of advice would be that if you decide to take a stroll down Las Olas, expect to be given strange looks if you're not wearing something on the fancier side. I don't think I've seen so many women in heels & short dressed (with weather in the 50's) in my life!
The hotel is very attractive & large from the outside. The valet parkers are very efficient & professional. Upon entering the lobby, I was extremely impressed and quickly became excited about my stay. Very elegant looking from the floor level. The receptionist was so kind & helpful. Super friendly & quick. So far, so good!
We got our room key & went up to our floor to see our room. Everything was still perfect until the (very fancy) elevators opened on our floor. I felt like I was in the wrong hotel, or a completely different building! It honestly looked like it could have been the lobby of a one-star motel. Not dirty, but very old, outdated, kind of creepy feel to it. It seemed abandoned as well, considering it was very quiet & the hallway only had about five doors down until it ended at a fire exit. When we opened our room door, it was extremely dark inside, and the lightswitch by the door was useless (i'm pretty sure it's the same for the other rooms as well because our friends who stayed on the floor below us had the same issue). We finally found another lightswitch in the room that actually worked, and once I got to see the room, my first thought was "wow, this is tiny". My boyfriend thought it was "cool" because of how old fashioned everything looked. The outlets & the walls. It was kind of historical looking, considering the hotel was built in the 30's I believe? Not too certain. But you can tell, it hadn't been remodeled since then. I, on the other hand, only thought it was kind of "cool" for a short while & then spent the remainder of my time wishing I was in a more modern hotel, especially since that's what we THOUGHT we paid for.
The bed was very large & comfortable. The top sheet is thin, but didn't bother me too much. Huge closet. Old tv. Musky smell. The bathroom had a public restroom feel, especially the toilet. The bathtub had hair & dirt throughout it. I had to give the tub a cleaning before cleaning myself in it.
At night, we ordered pizza, and along with the pizza man came the security for the hotel. As we were receiving our dinner we were also receiving a rude order to "be quiet". My boyfriend literally answered the door, saw the pizza man & the security & asked "Oh, I'm sorry, were we being too loud?" In which he coldly responded with "yes, very. quiet down" and went back downstairs. It was all very unprofessional. I really regret not going to the door to apologize for the fact that my laugh may be too loud. It is not as though we were screaming, fighting, or acting rowdy. Literally just sitting around, laughing & talking. It's unfortunate that side of the hotel hasn't been remodeled in 70 years, and if they ever decide to, I'd suggest they build thicker walls. In the meantime, they can train their security to represent their hotel a little more professionally. We felt very disrespected. It was all downhill from this point...
In the morning, my friend got thirsty & really wanted water (no mini-bar), so she called the lobby and asked if there was any way to get some & was instead told the time in which the hotel store would open...? Still very thirsty, she went downstairs & asked personally if she could somehow get water, and was then rudely told that there was a Walgreens store open somewhere nearby. She wasn't happy with that answer, so she found an employee at the restaurant in the hotel & told him her situation, and he was kind enough to bring her a glass of water, and also let her know that the Walgreens that was first suggested would have been a very long walk. So much work for a glass of water.
As we were about to check out in the morning, we walked to the elevator & waited forever for it to open. When it finally did, there was an employee servicing it, he acted surprised when he saw us standing there & said "this elevator is being serviced". we asked, "is there another one on this level?" and he nonchalantly answered "nope, just the stairs". So we lugged all of our bags down 7 flights of stairs just to get the heck out of that place! They double charged us for parking. An extra $20 for the parking garage when we had already told them that we got valet, which was $26 and a huge mistake. The receptionist was able to fix it for us, but it added a little more to our stress levels.
I also later found out that we stayed on the "old" side of the hotel. The other side is newer & we probably paid the same price as the lucky ones who had a nicer, larger, more up to date room.
Ultimately, I am happy with the very friendly & helpful receptionist we had. Happy with the location, the fancy lobby, the nice restaurant, and the comfortable mattress. Everything else was just a headache & not worth visiting again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sarahmarie1718
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Dear SarahMarie1718,
thank you very much for your detailed tripadvisor formy hotel, the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. I appreciate you pointing out the great location of our hotel and the wonderful service from the Front Desk staff.

I am sorry to hear, that the historical section of the hotel was not to your liking. You are correct that these rooms are nearly 75 year old with original furniture.

In the early 2000's we built another tower and added a more Old Florida style room to our inventory. Maybe on you next trip you want to book a tower room or suite.

Once again, thank you for your candor.

Happy Holidays,

Heiko Dobrikow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Cypress, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

We stayed here pre-cruise. We requested an early check in and since there was availability, we were allowed to get our room for much needed rest! The gentleman at the front desk obviously had lots of tasks at the early hour of our arrival, though he was very polite. After about 15 minutes, we had access to our room. Happy / sleepy us!!

The hotel lobby was elegant with a small gift shop, small computer room near the front desk, restaurant (which) was open for breakfast early) and a bar. Our Tower room was clean and very spacious. Free internet (ethernet cord in newer tower), table for dining, mini bar, desk and the all important heavy blinds.

The Las Olas / river walk location is great if you don't need to be too close to the cruise port... about 5-10 minutes by cab. Lots of shops and restaurants. The only chain being Cheesecake Factory. The others are local eateries with sidewalk dining... good for people watching. There is a Starbucks and CVS Pharmacy about 3 blocks away.

One negative is the lack of a shuttle to / from the airport and to the cruise port, hopefully that will change. Our cab ride was about $12-15.

Overall, a good stay. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2010
Dear Vegasbaby143,
I want to express my gratitude for you to highlight the excellent experience you had at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. I was so please so see that you truly enjoyed our staff, service and amenities.

As many of our guests have mentioned, we are the perfect location for pre- and post-cruise stays. The proximaty to the Port Everglades is only 7 minutes away and the hotel is located in the best entertainment and shopping district of Fort Lauderdale.

I hope to see you soon again.

Have a Happy Holiday Season.

Sunny regards,

Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

We read reviews prior to booking and chose a tower room. We were not disappointed. The room was gorgeous with a great view of the new river. We booked a pre/post cruise package that included a $25 transportation credit and a discount at the hotel restaurant.

We chose to eat at the Cheesecake Factory, that is attached to the first floor of the hotel. The pool area was clean and secluded with a great view of the new river. The lobby was lovely and the staff were polite and friendly. The hotel is just steps to the water taxi stop, as well as an additional whistle stop. We walked up and down Las Olas and enjoyed window shopping. We hopped on the water taxi and headed to the beach, had some lunch and took in the sights from the comfort of the boat on our trip back to the hotel.

The rooms was huge, with a large bathroom, comfy bed and quiet surroundings. We had ZERO complaints about our stay here. Would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CDNJehn
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2010
Dear CDNJehn,
thank you so much for staying with us at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale. I have taken your comments to my team to recognize their efforts and it was very rewarding to them. I am so happy that we are a hotel that gave you an excellent and memorable experience.

I want to wish you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving and a wonderful Holiday Season.

Cheerful Regards,

Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

Large room (in Tower - go for this if possible) in hotel that caters well for business and holidays alike. Prestons Lobby Lounge has an excellent after work locals crowd in with a superb bar maid (couldn't say the same about the Golden Lyon bar maid). Free internet access in the lobby. The location is perfect on Las Olas unless you are a beach lover, the downside being the expensive parking at $17 per day, although at least at that we were able to come and go freely and there was no pressure to valet park. The pool is a little isolated and although private lacks a bar.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2010
Dear Neal Etherington,
I am so pleased that your gave us a PERFECT score for your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. Thank you for your candor, as it will make us only better. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!

Sunny Regards,

North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

This is my third time staying at the Riverside which I've always loved but it is time for a facelift. I stayed in the older section and there was mold on the outside windows, a stain on the bedspread and a musty odor in the room. It's a great location and the staff were friendly but I hope they update the rooms. The exeercise room was also disappointing on the ground floor in the old building. I gave the hotel a thumbs up but it really needs some maintenance.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
Dear NCtraveller80,
thank you so much for your comments and feedback of your most recent stay. It is great to hear how you felt about the historic section of the hotel and I will certainly convey the message to our ownership as well.

We are planning to make some upgrades to this section in the future and therefore should provide the same quality experience as our classic and tower section of the hotel.

We hope to have you back as a hotel guest in the near future, so you can get pampered at the Riverside Hotel and Las Olas Boulevard.

See you soon again,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

So, my boyfriend and I booked this hotel through priceline and had NO idea what to expect. We had never been to Fort Lauderdale before, all we did was pick a 3 stars and up hotel and got this... for $60! Booking though them it would have been $160.

We got there, it was pretty elegant. They had two bars downstairs, small, but nice. The restaurant was down there as well and a tiny convenience shop. Our room was super clean, nice and great for us. It defiantly needed a makeover, you can tell its been awhile since a decorator has been there.

The location was PERFECT. At first we thought the area was a little too old for us, or meant for older people that is. There are a lot of art galleries, nicknack shops and cafes on Las Olas Blvd. We ventured off a little more and found tons of bars, clubs, restaurants, shops etc. LOVED IT!

We will defiantly go back if we go to Fort Lauderdale again. Hopefully for $60!

My only complaint is that we're both in our 20s and people and staff kept asking if we were lost/needed help etc, and most likely because we were young and didn't seem like the type that would stay there/could afford it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Dear MeganLouise,
thank you so much for staying at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. I am so happy that you were charmed by our intimate Jewel and enjoyed al that Las olas had to offer.

I am looking forward seeing you soon again for another luxury experience.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season,

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

The hotel is very adequate but it needs major renovations. Make sure when you stay at this hotel you stay in their "Executive Tower". Otherwise your stay will be in a much older area of the hotel. I stayed in the tower after getting my hotel room negotiated thru priceline. I paid $20 extra a night for the upgrade to the tower after seeing how tiny their "classic" rooms are. The tower is nice but seriously outdated. They need flat screen TV's, white down comforters and better air conditioning. The internet in the rooms however, is the fastest I have ever found in any hotel. No annoying sign in pages. Blazing fast speeds. I did a speed test and it was 25 MBPS when I tested it. WOW! That in itself was worth everything for me. The views were amazing. However I wasnt too happy with the $14 a night parking fee. I was there for 3 weeks and the staff all made me feel like family. I didnt feel like I was staying at a hotel, I felt like I was a guest in their home. The resturant will get very slow sometimes. Always plan on staying at least an hour if you want to eat there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2010
Dear AFDG,
thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our Riverside Hotel and Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. I am so pleased to see that our team performed well for you. We are currently looking in our option to add WIFI to our hotel, but it was great to hear that you enjoyed the speed of our plug-in option. Flatscreen TVs are on our list for Capital Improvements and I hope that this investment we occur in the near future.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward seeing you soon again.

Always at your service,