“Almost stay there.”
Review of La Casa Del Mar

La Casa Del Mar
New York
Reviewed 17 March 2006

My hasband and I almost made a reservation in this hotel-motel. After reading other people's review, decided not to do it. Previos owners were family oriented - not new ones. If this is become gay motel - they have to tell on website.
By the way, dentist can run the hotel also if he is good businessman. Probably, he was not a good dentist in NY and not a good hotel owner also.

Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

New York NY
Reviewed 11 January 2006

Decided not to stay at La Casa Del Mar. Be wary of Ohad the manager. I called for info and wasn't sure whether to reserve a room or not. He offered to hold the room until the following morning and asked that I leave my card info, which I reluctantly did. I called him back the next morning to cancel because I decided to go elsewhere (the frontdesk almost always goes to voicemail). This was less than 17hrs. He cancelled it but he gave me some line that he was doing me a favor because I had booked the room and that there would have been a $25.00 cancellation fee. I don't know what policy he made up in his head but I thought this guy is a snake. Glad I never stayed there.

Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Clarksville,TN
Reviewed 7 January 2006

In early December I booked a trip to Ft. Lauderdale to stay at the La Casa Del Mar (Soberano Resort) after finding it on lanierbb. I spoke with Wally, an employee of innkeeper Ohad Soberano. As I am on a budget, I was interested in the 99 dollar special advertised on their site. When I inquired about its availability, Wally said he had already given it to me. He then said that the total bill would be 574.20, which he explained to be 99 dollars for five nights plus tax. He told me that their policy was to bill me half the total as a deposit with the other half due on arrival. My credit card was charged 287.10, half the total just as Wally had said it would be for my trip from 12/29/05- 1/3/06. Indeed, on their online billing form clearly stated is the fact that one half of the bill will be charged initially with the other half due upon arrival.

When my partner and I arrived we were told by Mr. Soberano that the total bill would be much higher than the quoted amount. I explained that there must be some mistake as I was quoted 99 dollars for five nights. As I would expect any reputable business person to stand by their quoted reservation I thought that this matter would be quickly resolved. Mr. Soberano however quickly proved himself to be no reputable businessman. He said that if anyone quoted me that rate that they would have to make up the difference out of his pocket and that I should not want any employee to have to do that. He then said that even if his employee did quote me that it was a mistake and that he would not stand by that. He continued to fabricate excuses saying that I should have seen that the special was only for non holiday nights in December and that his computer program quotes the wrong rate until January when it then calculates the correct rate such that there was no way his employee could have know the rate. He said that what I actually had paid for on deposit was two nights stay. When I asked him to verify 99 dollars for five nights plus tax divided by half he came up with 287.10 , the exact amount I explained I had been billed and told was to be half my total. Still he would not honor his quote. He began to express exasperation with me that I would rather have his employee make up the difference than to work with him to negotiate a solution. Of course, I did not feel that it was my responsibility to make sure that he had trained his employees properly, had an adequate computer system, or to negotiate after I had already booked a reservation and paid a deposit.

At this point, when I said I would take the room for the 99 dollars for the two nights he would still charge that before he charged a higher rate and use the time to look for another hotel, he said he would not hold the rooms for me for the other nights and could rent them out immediately to someone just on the phone. Since we were on a budget and had carefully planned our stay around this reservation we had no rental car, therefore, searching for a new place would have entailed walking with our suitcases or paying for a cab until we found an affordable place with vacancies, if there were even any in the area. As I was concerned about the responsibility I had to my partner, having told them about our reservation at a quoted price already, and the possibility of not being able to find any more vacancies not to mention wasting time looking for another place I decided that, even though I knew I was being robbed and the victim of a dishonest innkeeper, I needed to secure rooms for our vacation. I had previously told Mr. Soberano that he had me at a disadvantage as almost a month had gone by from the time I booked the reservation until that point and that there were no longer as many options, if any for me. I accepted the higher rate he charged me at that point, which was approximately 10 dollars more plus tax for the last three nights. I also endured that unpleasant experience of being lied to and having my quoted reservation not honored to start my vacation.

This is without question the poorest customer service I have ever experienced. In fact, I consider it to be a step below the poorest customer service, it is just downright dishonesty. I consider Mr. Sobreno to be dishonest and to use poor judgment. Apparently he was also lying when he said he could rent the room immediately as there was vacancy at his establishment the whole time we were there. Any innkeeper who would treat travelers counting on the sanctity of a quoted reservation so poorly does not deserve to stay in business. I consider the situation he put me in to be akin to highway robbery. Furthermore, he created all of this ill will for approximately 38.50. Obviously, I am most upset about the principal of the matter; being lied to and as a result of that lie being in an untenable situation and forced to accept being cheated to avoid further hassle.

• Stayed: January 2006
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 October 2005

When we booked with them, we thought we were going to a all gay resort since we saw the ad in a gay magazine. When we arrived, we were so disapointed to find families with kids there in the pool. Nice place, just beware it is not a male gay hotel and No heated pool like they say either.

Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank James C
Reviewed 24 July 2005

The new owner is very weired. He is obessed with rules and regulations and does not like childrens. Room and pool are nice, (beware of cockroaches), but we would not stay another time because of him. Breakfast is a joke.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank Schneewittchen
Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 July 2005

The new owner, Ohad, has done a wonderful job. The entire villa has been remodeled inside and out.
They were very accomodating with our special request. Very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and attractions.
All kinds of new ammenities have been added for the guest experience.

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 April 2005

When I made the reservation in january there was no problem with our 3 children staying in our room. When we arrived the attitude was different. As I have read on earlier reviews I understand that it recently changed owners. That explains the new attitude. We got no information about the hotel rules when I checked in, so we missed the breakfast the first morning. I chosed this hotel because of the reviews before january here at tripadvisor. No children under 12 are welcome anymore to this hotel as it says on their new website. The room was very nice and clean, so I hope they change their attitude to their customers. Who wants to stay in a hotel that says on their website "This motel has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason"

Stayed: March 2005