“Good location, friendly staff and great amenities, but rooms are just ok”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good location, friendly staff and great amenities, but rooms are just ok”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked this room from hotels.com last minute, and the price was great, $169/night. They even upgraded us to a room with a partial ocean view.
The room was ok. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean, but the bathroom only had shutters that slid, no real door, so it's not great if you want privacy. The air-conditioning also had condensation that leaked onto the rug, causing a slight smell.
The restaurant has a delicious breakfast, and is upscale but still comfortable, which is a great balance. The management was more than friendly and in the off season it was a nice, quiet atmosphere. All in all I'd say it's a good stay and the rooms are almost there; with bathroom doors and floors without rugs they'd have me sold. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank CLS_22940
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear CLS_22940: Thank you so much for staying with us and choosing our hotel as your travel destination. We appreciate you mentioning your opinion of the bathroom doors, as we are currently discussing ways to improve the privacy and functionality of this feature with our Engineering team. Thanks again for taking the time to share your review and we hope your travels will bring you back soon to The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale.

Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend here a few weeks ago and I can't begin to say enough great things about this hotel. First of all, this was the first time my husband and I where going away together (alone, without the children) in 18 years! I had stayed at the Westin in Denver Colorado 4 years ago for business, and I remembered what a beautiful hotel it was so it was an automatic decision for me to make our reservation at another Westin property.

As soon as you walk into the lobby you will definitely get the sense that this is a special place. Checking in took minutes. No lines, and the young woman was very nice.

We had a 5th floor ocean front room (it's so true what other reviewers have said...it's worth the extra money!) I have made a mental note to request a higher floor next time because we were so close to the pool we really didn't feel comfortable leaving the curtains open (although there are two sets of curtains. The room darkening curtains and another set of curtains that provide some privacy while still allowing you to see your view). Another reason to request the higher floor...noise from the pool if you have the windows open. But this is not a problem when they are closed...complete silence. The bed is sooooo comfortable. This was also another thing I remembered about the Westin in Denver. Many people have commented about the small window separating the bathroom and the room. My husband and I have been together for 24 years, married for 18 and have 3 children so this was obviously not an issue. But I can see where it could be a problem for others.

Our main reason for this long weekend was RELAXATION. I wanted nothing more than to go from my hotel room, to the beach, to the restaurant and back to the hotel. And that's exactly what I got. The bridge connecting the hotel to the beach was a really great convenience. First thing in the morning I packed up my gear, went to the Starbucks in the hotel. Got my coffee and breakfast, went straight to the beach and didn't move from there until 3 or 4 o'clock when I returned to my room to get ready for dinner. My husband spent his days alternating between relaxing in the room, coming down to the beach with me for a while and walking along the boulevard. The gentleman who sets out the beach chairs for Westin guests was so nice and very professional.

The area definitely provides you with many options for meals and there is a CVS within walking distance for any thing else you may need.

We were sad to leave at the end of our 4 night stay but my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it highly to all.

PS Upon returning to work my supervisor told me about an upcoming conference she thought I would like to attend in Indianapolis. The hotel where the convention is being held and where I will be staying. The Westin Indianapolois!! YES!!!

Room Tip: Pay for an ocean front room. Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NYCRN05
Dear NYCRN05: Thank you for sharing your wonderful 5-star review and thank you for your continued patronage to the Westin brand! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and about the service you have received from our staff. It was a pleasure having you, and we hope to see you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here post-cruise in June 2014 and had paid for our room in advance with aeroplan points. After disembarking from the cruise, we went directly to the hotel. Although we arrived too early for check in, we explained that my boyfriend had experienced a bout of hives that day, and we really would appreciate if we could check in and sleep off the effect of the meds. Perhaps this was our mistake. We were able to get a room and it was a stunner. Until you opened the blinds. And looked directly into a concrete wall. Two feet away. Kind of ironic, given that we were so relieved to get out of our interior stateroom on the ship and then ended up with no daylight even in our hotel room. I'm giving this location the benefit of the doubt - I'm hoping that we ended up with this room because we showed up so early...and not because we paid with aeroplan points.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda F
Dear Amanda F: Thank you for providing us with this valuable feedback concerning your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We take all guest responses very seriously and appreciate you giving us the opportunity to improve our product, guest service, and overall experience.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Pool area is very clean and staff does an excellent job. Shula's is delish. Sushi bar is good too. Only thing I would change about the rooms are the shutters in the bathroom. Also and there are no outlets on the nightstands. Storme "Stormin the doorman!' is the best! He remembered us from our last visit and even left a message checking on us during the trip!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear AmyNYC24: Thank you for sharing your wonderful review and for mentioning Storme by name. We pride ourselves in the great service we provide to our guests and are happy to hear our staff made your stay even more memorable! We hope to see you again soon in the near future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is our second time at this hotel and again the service was amazing. The pool manager, Joe, was simply incredible and catered not only to us but to everyone there. His staff is also top notch. Can't remember having to ask for anything as they were always mindful of all the guests. Judy with the kids services was extremely caring, charismatic and a pure gem. My kids loved all the activies and her interaction with them was so much appreciated. The hotel staff was also exemplary.....courteous, genuinely concerned that we have a great stay. We had the pleasure of being attended by Storm and a gentleman whose name starts with W but I just can't remember. This hotel is definitely a five star hotel with their staff. This is a pet friendly hotel but you would never know it as there are no odd smells anywhere. We took our pooch and the maid service was also outstanding. Our room always smelled and looked as if we had just gotten there. Everything nice and clean and smelling fresh. My only regret in this hotel is that it does not offer a cheaper valet service for Florida residents. I did ask as I though the $32+ dollars they charge for valet is outrageous. We were there for 5 days and took the car out once. I think management should try to arrange for a lower more reasonable fee for valet. It's the only aspect of the hotel which would make me think twice. Other than that, I think the hotel staff should all be commended for their excellent work. If you don't mind paying the valet cost, this hotel is definitely a MUST!!!

Room Tip: If you want a room close to the pool, stay in the North Tower. If you want a room close to Starbuck...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank myg0704
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear myg0704: Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We're thrilled that your family had such a wonderful stay at the Westin. Our staff works hard to ensure your comfort and we will certainly pass along your comments. We hope to see you again on your next adventure!

bowie, md
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Very attentive. Facilities were always clean and decorated with modern flare. Shula ' Restaurant offered good food as well as the sushi bar by the pool. Didn't care for the shuttered bathrooms in the room nor the $32.00 per day valet parking.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank derrickanthony1
Dear derrickanthony1: Thank you for sharing your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and about the attentive service you have received from our staff. It is also great to hear you enjoyed your experience at Shula's on the Beach and Amatsu Sushi & Sake. It was a pleasure having you, and we hope to see you again soon!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel is quickly becoming my favorite vacation spots as it is right on the beach in an urban area and has very good proximity to great restaurants and shopping. The A1A strip is always entertaining with a diverse group of people that congregate both on the beach and on the sidewalk. The Westin itself has a very friendly staff and service is always consistently good. If you get a beachfront view it almost seems like you are on a cruise ship as you have uninterrupted vista of the ocean. All in all probably one of the best urban resort vacation spots I can think of.

Room Tip: If you get a beachfront room on a high floor you'll get in uninterrupted view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear masterphotog: Thank you for sharing your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to make it yet another memorable vacation experience! Customer service is very important to us, and we’re very pleased our staff met your standards. We look forward to seeing you in the future for another wonderful stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale.