“3RD TIMES A CHARM”

Ranked #31 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York
“3RD TIMES A CHARM”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I just took my 3RD trip to Ft. Lauderdale and once again, I stayed at the Westin. The location of this hotel is PERFECTION. You do not even need a rental car. You can walk to restaurants, bars and clubs. All staff I encountered were very friendly and quite helpful. At the pool bar, my friends and I were treated like VIP's. The bartender, Michele LaCroix, made the trip for us. Her upbeat attitude and comical demeanor kept us laughing daily(her sarcasm was just as good). If you stay at this hotel, I highly recommend that you seek her out. She made the trip that much more enjoyable. I still feel the food prices are a bit high at Shula's Steakhouse, but like I said, the location is everything.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I visit fort lauderdale once every three months this is my first time at this hotel.The hotel was wonderful, the staff, the pool the vibe, but i will not return because the bathrooms have a louvered door and louvered window right next to the bed. I myself don't like to hear or smell my partner in the restroom wnen i am watching tv in bed.So if you go remenber be prepared for the louvers in the bathroom !!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
sinceresfbh, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 19 November 2010
Dear NewJerseyScottieG: Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and staff; however we apologize that the bathroom was not the experience you had envisioned. We have received other guest comments about the functionality of the bathroom shutters and rest assured this has been communicated to our Engineering team. Again thank you for your comments and we hope to invite you back to our property in the near future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We wanted a quiet weekend just to relax so we wanted to find a nice hotel on the beach hence we picked the Westin. Considering it was Westin I expected a little more. The outside of the building looks a little old. Needs some updating. Rooms were nice and comfy. They did upgrade us to an ocean front room. The beds were "heavenly". They ran out of king size ocean front room and gave us 2 doubles instead. It was really 2 full size bed. It was kinda small and I'm a tiny person. Everything in the room was nice and clean. The pool was nice and warm. It goes from 5feet to 6 feet deep. Not really meant for kids. What I really didn't like about it was they charge you for everything! Valet only parking $25/day. You have to call in to the valet when you want to go out and tip each time. But they were really nice and prompt. Always asked if you need directions. $10/day for internet. Considering I'm paid $159/night for the room I would expect internet. Once you add it all up, you might as well splurge on another hotel thats in the $200/range but offer all of the above for free.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Belfast
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed in an Ocean View Room late October.Ive stayed in a number of Westins in Socal and Colorado. Service here was below average with a relalively "junior" crew.One exception was the Concierge Desk which organised a Tour by Jet Ski with pick up from the Hotel. The Hotel comprises 2 blocks with a linked aerial walkway. The "South Tower " accommodate a large Convention Centre which must traverse to access Rooms. Trucking through a crowd of suits and chinos in your swim suit does detract from the Holiday ambiance (Hello !) .The Restuarant (Shula`s) is Upmarket and pricey relative to the Hotel .The Bar and food dispensary at the pool really doesnt work ,Its too small and public.Access to the beach is safe and quick.$20 for a somewhat tired and modest Parasol is excessive.The Beach Guy adds no value to the the Hotel.The Towel Guy at the Pool was very friendly , Up-beat and helpful.

The Rooms are tastefully decorated and the quality of fit out was good.The room has a fridge you can use as opposed to share with the Mini-bar.The desighn of the WC/shower is unique and shocking. No right thinking person wants to be forced to listen to another`s ablutions. There is no accoustic or olefactory privacy.The slatted sliding door and "windows" are a bizarre design feature that should be replaced by the concential door and partition to afford privacy. I read the other Reviws on this topic before I stayed and concur with criticism of this aspect.

The hotel has an excellent Gym with views over the Ocean . The range of equipment is balanced and of very high quality.Theres a premium priced Starbucks which is very popular for Breakfast.The Morning Crew in the Starbucks are exceptional .The rooms are not so well sound proofed. My neighbour woke at 5 am and began playing a banjo at 5-57 am precisely. As lay there questioning my own sanity and wondering how to speak to Front Desk wihout exposing myself to retaliation from the Banjo Buddy I was relieved that the neighbour on his other side attempted to come through the wall to articulate the suggestion that He was trying to sleep and perhaps the Ocean might be a suitable venue for Banjo practice.
Overall, we had an enjoyable but unispiring stay. We availed of a discounted room rate without which I would have struggled to judge the Hotel Value for money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
sinceresfbh, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 16 November 2010
Dear Belfast_Sailorman: We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share with us your review about your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, as the care and comfort of our guests and associates are of utmost priority. Rest assured, we take all comments very seriously and proactively take measures to ensure the quality of each guests stay. It is great to hear you enjoyed our premium outlets and the new look and feel of our guestrooms, each graced with our signature Westin Heavenly Bed & Bath. Again, thank you for your comments.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We split our recent vacation between the Harbor Beach Marriott and the Westin Beach Resort. I am Platinum Elite with both SPG and Marriott, so I figured this would be a difficult comparison with the Marriott. I was definitely much more impressed with the Westin Beach Resort. I have summarized our stay at the Westin below.

Check In/Arrival:

When we arrived, they were having the 12pm check out rush. Cars were backed up because several of the shuttle drivers were clogging up the driveway. Not the hotel's fault at all, but this stressed me out and left me wondering if I made the right choice. (I did.) My advice would be to avoid arriving/departing around this time.

Once we got inside, we were able to immediately check in at the SPG desk. We were upgraded to a beautiful room, and received a gift bag for our son (scored points with the significant other). We were also given a crib and refrigerator without even having to ask. (Marriott only offered the crib, and offered to upgrade me for $200/day.) Score one for Starwood!

Room:

The room had a great view of the ocean. The rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, so you can enjoy the ocean. Our room had floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room, bedroom, and even in the shower. The Marriott has balconies, but I liked the view at the Westin better.

Desk featured a nice integrated surge strip to plug your electronic gear into. No searching for outets. TV had Bose speakers attached to it. Everything was clean and comfortable!

Service:

Valet staff were friendly ($25/day for valet parking), and the refrigerator and crib arrived right away. Front desk staff were great.

Food:

You have Shula's on the beach attached to the hotel. Much better than the overpriced standard Marriott fare we had before we arrived. The Aruba Beach Cafe would be another excellent choice for a delicious dinner at a fair price. I hear Steak 954 at the W Hotel is also excellent, but did not get a chance to eat there this time.

Overall:

The beach is across the street from this hotel, but there is a skywalk to take you directly there. The private beach at the Marriott was nice, but the beach at the Westin was just as nice, in my opinion.

The Westin seemed a bit more kid-friendly. The Marriott was packed with conference attendees, which was annoying at times. The Westin didn't seem to have that problem.

Overall, I liked the Westin better than the Marriott, and better than most of the other resort hotels I have stayed at. They made our stay effortless, and seemed genuinely happy to have us as guests. Kudos to the staff!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Dear WisconsinBadgerGuy: To begin, we are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience during your recent stay at the newly transformed, Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We have a fantastic team of associates, who strive to go above and beyond all guest expectations! With premium outlets and beautiful accents, our beachfront property is an ideal vacation retreat for couples, families, and business travelers. We hope to see you again in the near future shall your travels bring you back to Sunny Fort Lauderdale!
Cody, Wyoming
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I attended a conference and knew nothing in advance about this hotel. But it turned out to be a wonderful stay. The architecture is wonderful, just wandering around the common areas and the convention center was a pleasure. The beach was so close you could almost touch it. The vewi from my room was stunning. The staff were understated yet always there. Food, pretty good for hotel food!!! And there was lots of food action outside on the town. Its a pricey hotel, so look for deals or just decide to treat yourself. My only gripe, which applies to so many hotels, is that though lobby internet is free, in room internet was $12.95. I still don't understand why every bottom end cheap hotel in America has free internet while a place that is so costly adds on such foolish charges. Bad for morale and loyalty.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed there before and after our cruise the food was fabulous and Michelle our bartender at the pool bar was so great she was the icing on the cake !!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends