“Pleasurable stay always!”
Review of Grand Palm Plaza

Grand Palm Plaza
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We've stayed many times at the PP, and are always pleased with the accomodations. The property is not new, but has so much of the "Key West" charm, very clean and well maintained. During the last several months the property has had some subtle updates and improvements in and out to compliment our visit. Edward the manager and his staff are always friendly and accomodating to attend to our comfort and needs. The location is awesome for a short walk to the beach and a variety of dining options. Thanks Edward...see you next time!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2SunChasers
coledwoz, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you both very much for your nice words. We are looking into purchasing new furniture in the very near future, so we hope it will arrive for you potential visit this summer.

Edward, General Manager

Reviewed 22 May 2013

This was our 6th visit to the property....and as always we had a nice visit. The new staff was very friendly and accommodating. We always request the same room and was pleased to see the refrigerator in the mini-suite was upgraded to full-size as we sometimes bring leftovers from dinner out. If we had any complaints at all, our room on the end tends to have quite a few mosquitoes around the outdoor bistro set we like to have our morning coffee on (but hey it is Florida, right?)...Also, we noticed the housekeepers didn't vacuum daily like they had done in the past, but like I said this is minor stuff in the overall picture. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carnesbear
coledwoz, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Thank you very much for you kind words about our resort. We are in the process of reviewing all of our services, which include housekeeping, engineering and other support staff, and your feedback is valuable to us. We hope to accommodate you again in the future.

Edward, General Manager of The Grand Palm Plaza, LLC

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Great location, friendly staff....clean.... but out dated.. It seems to have lost its charm that distinguished its self from other properties in the area.

There is so much potential for this place...just cleaning up all the clutter in the rooms...and the garden would have made it more appealing. The TV's were the size of suitcases....(a wall mounted flat screen would help)...the furniture was used old yard sale looking furniture. The carpets were thread bare and stained ....I could go on.

OK I will...... the old A/C rattled and beeped all night....but it sure kept the room cool...however there was only one setting...freezing...or off. My room did not even have a smoke detector. When I mentioned it to the front desk they said that they are renovating the place and will put one in later.....I don't think the fire marshall would be too happy to hear that as an excuse.

A few good things were free WIFI...ability to use the other sister properties. The gym the pool.
As for value for money...a bit pricey for what you got. There idea of a complimentary breakfast was lame. A basket in the fridge with bottled OJ...a cheap packaged muffin you would get on an airplane...and yogurt.
They could have showed a bit of effort by setting up a small table with fresh coffee, fresh OJ..(it is Florida)..and fresh pastries.

So if you are looking for a out dated clean motel...stay there...otherwise do your research and remember...pictures can be deceiving ....they were at this place...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank YYZKeith
coledwoz, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Thank you very much for your comments.

In October 2012, we became a part of The North Beach Village Group, owners of multiple resorts in the area. We work closely with our new company to provide excellent customer service and provide unsatisfied guests other lodging options when occurrences like this happen. Every day we are making improvements such as new linen and food services to housekeeping staff and property maintenance. We are hoping to renovate the build some time this year, so the problems you outlined will be fixed.

A few things I did want to point out. We have replaced all of the smoke alarms in the rooms. When you pointed out that we did not have one in your room, we put a portable one in the closet. Never would I allow a room to go without protection.

The daily room price we offer is at price point compared to all of the other resorts in the area. We make sure that we are not over pricing our rooms. Please look at some of our other resorts to compare. We are the only resort in our company that provides the daily baskets in the rooms. Once we renovate, we will be equipped with a continental breakfast room and offer more variety.

I hope you will come back once the renovations are completed. Visit our new website which has the most up to date photos of the place.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I'd contacted the Grand Palm Plaza before my recent trip to Ft. Lauderdale. I was delighted to get such a warm reception on the phone from the general manager, named Edward. He was very helpful in squeezing me into their reservation book---eventhough I was booking last-minute.

I can't tell you how grateful I was for the help and for getting such a reasonable rate at a prime-location near the beach!

When I arrived, I was greeted by Edward and one of his staff members and immediately knew that I'd enjoy my trip. They were so friendly in-person and were more than happy to give me information on where to go in town and what to do.

My room was spacious, and the linens were brand new and as good as any 5-star hotel I've stayed in recently. Everything was very clean and well-kept. I especially enjoyed the fact that they deliver a breakfast basket to your room each night so that you have snacks for the morning! Delicious muffins...

It is true that the building is a little old, but I saw the upgrades that they are starting to do to the property. In the week I was there, the courtyard was given a total overhaul and looks fantastic! Edward shared with me what renovations will be taking place in the coming months, and it makes me excited to come back.

Overall, the staff was incredibly welcoming, friendly, helpful and very professional. The accommodations were comfortable, clean and well-kept, and the place had a friendly vibe. I was very pleased with my experience and look forward to making this my go-to hotel each time I visit Ft. Lauderdale.

2  Thank NYCMascTraveler
GrandPalmPlaza, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Thank you very much for you kind words about our resort. We hope to accommodate you again in the future.

Edward, General Manager of The Grand Palm Plaza, LLC

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I don't know where to start! I feel terrible writing a bad review but there are many things that can be done that would make a big difference for this hotel. I must say the staff was friendly and that's a great start for a facility that has so much potential. The room was clean so I absolutely recognize that too.

Based on the online reviews, I felt the price we paid was reasonable until I saw the hotel in person. For the same price or maybe a few dollars more, there are nicer all male hotels off Birch Rd...I know because I've stayed in them. The price we paid was not reasonable for what we got. I love to support these types of businesses but in return for money, you have to deliver a good product. The price is not in line with the accommodations.

Observations
1. Astro turf in the pool area?? For a minimal cost, there are other options for ground cover that could be used that would give a much classier look. It's the first impression when you walk in the door.
2. The office isn't much of an office. It's a room with a desk in it...kinda odd when you walk in. You think oops I opened the wrong door but it's actually the "front desk".
3. Bed had no mattress pad on it so it was a fitted sheet right on top of the mattress...eww! To be fair, we did not mention this to the staff but any hotel bed should have some sort of buffer between the sheet and mattress.
4. Could not locate a plug in the bathroom which made getting ready a little complicated.
5. Paint in the room was bubbling
6. Most of the room was wired with extension cords

I'm sorry to rate this so bad but I rely on trip advisor and this time it failed me.

7  Thank Scorpiofl
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Where do I even start. The room was practically wired with extension cords. Extremely overpriced for what you actually get. Buyer beware. There is a million other "gay resorts" that are the same or cheaper that are not held together by duct tape. This place needs a serious renovation. You can hear the person next door using the restroom.. And if your showering and someone in another room happens to use any water source, your going to either freeze or get scalded. I do not recommend. How they won awards is beyond me. One star hotel with a three star price. The only pulse in this place is the Mosquitos I had to keep smashing in our room. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013
9  Thank Erikisnothere
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This was my second stay at Palm Plaza which I very much enjoyed. I had a great experience both times I stayed and would definitely be amenable to staying here again. Much as other reviewers have stated, the property is showing its age and therefore I was glad to hear the property has been bought by a larger company who will be able to allocate the resources and manpower to being able to refresh the property. Both times, the staff has been beyond helpful and inviting, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I felt a genuine gratitude and desire for an outstanding experience from the manager and staff which is sometimes lacking at larger resorts.

When I travel, I try to see things in the larger picture and I would definitely say I am pleased with my most recent overall experience at Palm Plaza. It's definitely not a 5 star resort and could definitely use a makeover, but definitely has charm and personality. In my opinion, a small tiki bar would add so much to the property. However, it's understandable that there are definite space and possible resource and manpower limitations.

The location is perfect as the beach is only a couple of blocks away and it is a short drive to many attractions including Wilton Manors. Many local restaurants and other resorts owned by the same company are within walking distance and the pool area makes for a nice BYOB option while relaxing. I would definitely say the overall mood here is relaxed. Both times I've stayed I met several wonderful people with whom I still keep in contact.

I've read some of the other reviews and feel that people expect way too much for what they are paying for. Palm Plaza is one of the best deals in town and I still feel like they try to exceed expectation. If you want 5 star treatment, be prepared to pay for 5 star treatment. However, I'm satisfied with the value and respect I was paid while I was there. I wish all the best to the company, staff, and owners and will definitely keep the plaza on my short list when traveling to Fort Lauderdale in the future.

Room Tip: The first time I stayed, it was in a regular room which was pretty basic, however, a small breakfast...