“An Impressive Affordable Find”
Review of Grand Palm Plaza

Grand Palm Plaza
Reviewed 15 December 2006

When it comes right down to it, what really sets hotels apart from each other, is the quality and sincerity of the hotel staff. This is hardly a Ritz Carlton, a Four Seasons, or even a Hyatt......those bastions of corporate/robotic training, plastic smiles and by-the-book helpfulness. The Palm Plaza has something much better to offer.....a staff that is really glad you`re there and is eager to do everything they can to make your stay welcoming and exceedingly comfortable. You`ll be utterly charmed by the entire unpretentious, low-key, reasonbably priced experience.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NYCfanatic

Reviewed 12 December 2006

I just returned from a week's vacation in Florida and wanted to write a review for the Palm Plaza Resort. It was an incredible bargain and a great place to stay. Several months previous to my trip, I checked out the websites for all the Ft. Lauderdale beach properties and thought the prices were rather steep. The Palm Plaza Resort had a special of 4 nights for the price of 3 and this was very attractive. However, I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.com and thought the place sounded like a bad bet.
The week before my trip, I looked at the site again and saw several very recent reviews of the property and they were all very enthusiatic. I decided to give it a try.

With the new manager, Steve, the place was extremely well-run and I could find nothing to complain about. The staff were friendly and helpful and the place was very clean. It is evidently the budget property owned by the same people that own Windemar Beach Resort.

I would certainly recommend it and plan on staying there the next time I'm in Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank firehose
Reviewed 5 December 2006

There are a number of gay resorts in this neighborhood, which offer varied experiences to travelers. Let me begin by saying that if you`re looking for an expensive, upscale experience with such things as designer furnishings, Egyptian cotten sheets, popsicles served hourly by the pool, and guests with pompous attitude, there are plenty of such options nearby. Mercifully, the Palm Plaza is not one of them.

On the other hand, if you`re seeking, comfort, value, cleanliness, spaciousness, a friendly, helpful staff, and diverse and outgoing guests, this is where you need to be. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by perpetually extroverted, smiling and buff manager, Steve. Both, he and his equally amiable staff always treated us like family and should probably give, much needed, hospitality industry courses in the proper way to treat guests.

We loved our one bedroom apartment (#21) on the second floor. French doors opened into the spacious living room filled with character and colorful charm. There is a fully equipped kitchen, dining table, large bedroom with a king bed and a good sized bathroom. Everything is immaculately kept here. The balcony area outside our room offered an expansive view of the magnificent homes and boat traffic on the adjacent intracoastal waterway.....the perfect place to enjoy the included continental breakfast or evening cocktails. There is a good sized pool and lushly landscaped, compact grounds. Even better were the outgoing guests who seemed intent on leaving no one out of conversations and enjoying good natured banter in and around the pool.

For all this we paid a remarkable $99 per night and the 4th night was free. Our 5 night stay ended up being about $80 a night. Some may quibble that some added grounds maintenance and cosmetic improvements are needed. This resort suffered some serious damage during last year`s hurricanes and new owners/management have recently taken over the property. These improvements are being implemented, but even now, at The Palm Plaza, the whole is even greater the the sum of its (already lovable) parts. Come here to enjoy a relaxed, friendly, hospitable and memorable vacation.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank quindad
Reviewed 15 November 2006

This is one of the better "little" places I've stayed. The staff was more than accomadating. The staff went above and beyond the call of duty, and this was the most pleasant vacations I've had. I actually sobbed when it was time to leave. The rates were affordable, rooms were clean, and the pool was fabulous. I also enjoyed the lovely landscaping. I highly reccomend this place to anyone looking for a more intimate resort!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chazer22
Reviewed 10 November 2006

I just returned from staying at the Palm Plaza Resort in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. I've been to many resorts before, but this resort was almost like staying with family, I have to say they truely go out of thier way to make you feel right at home.

Unlike other resorts the staff made sure with regular morning visits I was set with what i would need for the day, and they were always ready to offer suggestions for activities.

I made new friends that now I am e-mailing and making plans to return for a spring visit with. Between the staff and the other guests who also felt so comfortable there i really found little reason to leave the property most of the time.

I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a quiet laid back time with with all the comforts of home and a friendly staff that just outdo themselves. If its the party your looking for, believe me they can recommend the perfect place to go, but you always have a nice quiet home to come back to.

Kenny C. Cumberland, Rhode Island

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank dazdncunfsd
Reviewed 3 November 2006

A buddy of mine and I were going to see Streisand and decided to stay a couple of days in Lauderdale -- we searched the web and happened upon the Palm Plaza -- words cannot express what a pleasant surprise! We felt so comfortable immediately when Steve (the perfect host) opened the gate for us and showed us the surroundings -- we had only booked for 4 days -- and after maybe 5 minutes looking around the property and seeing how immaculate our suite was -- we immediately decided on staying another day! We didn't want to leave after the 5th day! We were treated much more than guests -- we were welcomed as friends! Not only Steve, the resident manger -- but David and Keith -- who work so hard to make everyone feel comfortable and at home! We met so many nice people and look forward to our return!
Love you guys!
As always, Bruce -

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank BruSand
Reviewed 21 October 2006

I have a real soft spot in my heart for the Palm Plaza. I've stayed there twice - it was the first place I stayed, before making Fort Lauderdale my annual summer vacation spot - and the Palm Plaza is one of the best gay, clothing-optional resorts to start with.

Oh, sure - now that I've been to several resorts there - there are more chic resorts, more "to-die-for" resorts - but the Palm Plaza is a simple, laid back, honest, nonpretentious resort - and a GREAT place for anyone new to the Fort Lauderdale area.

The rates are on the low-end (which is always good, in my mind!) - and the property is visually VERY attractive. I went w. my partner, and had a WONDERFUL stay. The suite was good (not fantastic, but still good enough for us) - the grounds were luscious - and the pool? I have to say (even after staying at many other resorts since) that the Palm Plaza pool is the BEST pool I've seen yet, at any of the Fort Lauderdale gay resorts. It is the LARGEST (size DOES matter!) pool I've seen down there - GREAT temperature, too - making doing laps a good, solid exercise - instead of some of these small (WAY too small) pools, where you do three strokes & you've reached the other end... (What's THAT all about?!?)

It's only 3 blocks to the ocean(!), and a short walk to the gay beach at Sebastion Street.

The management could not have been sweeter or warmer - really remarkable (compared to some other places I've been). I have very, very warm memories of my talks w. the management. Nice guys - nice aura about the whole place. You were definitely made to feel free to be whoever/whatever you are. (And, you can't put a price on that - believe me!)

Truthfully? I loved my stay there.

Yes - some of the repair work done within the resort rooms is a bit disappointing (bathroom door didn't close all the way, tile replaces with mismatched sizes, crooked medicine cabinet, etc.), but the place is clean, sunny, tropical, and at a good price. (And who doesn't appreciate a bargain?!?)

So, if you're not familiar w. Fort Lauderdale, and want a good place to start? I totally recommend the Palm Plaza.

• Stayed: September 2004, travelled as a couple