“Friendly and worth the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Palm Plaza

Grand Palm Plaza
tampa
“Friendly and worth the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2007

I have been vacationing in FTL for the past 12 years and found this place to be the friendliest (staff and guests) place to stay. Yes, there are nicer , newer properties in the area but nothing comes close for the money. My room was small but nice (I rented the mini studio) clean and very quite. The staff, Steve, Dave and Mark were caring and concerned about my total satisfaction. I had so much fun I will be returning in the next month for a long weekend.

• Liked — Freindly staff
  • Disliked — I had to leave when vacation was over
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Phoenix Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

We've honestly never felt so cared for and valued at any other place we've stayed around the country. The manager and staff were friendly, interested in each client's happiness and well-being, personally available, and directly accessible and involved. The property is relaxing, the "rooms" are small efficiency apartments and are wonderfully clean and fresh, the furnishings are comfortable, and everything is just the way you'd want it and just where you'd expect to find it. The kitchen was well-equipped, the complimentary continental breakfast was great each morning. The location is convenient to the beach, the Intercoastal, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, whatever you want. The modest price belies the value we received. An anecdote that explains our experience at Palm Plaza Resort: We checked in around 10:00PM, found we could have used one more towel for the bathroom and more paper towels for the kitchen, so we left a message on the office voicemail, thinking it would be handled in the morning. We went to dinner, returned at nearly midnight, and found the items had already been delivered. This typifies the level of interest and caring found in every aspect of our stay here. Our one complaint was that we had to leave. But we WILL be back!!

• Stayed September 2007
Savannah, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

This is my second time in a Fort Lauderdale guesthouse, and must say, even given the fact that this is more of an economy property, I have to wonder exactly who has been writing these glowing reviews. Nothing was terrible, but this is not somewhere I imagine most people would want to be when there are much nicer places around for not that much more a night.

At first it seemed ok. I arrived late just as the manager was leaving, and was left an envelope/key etc. Steve was very friendly, and my room was about what I expected for the price paid; small, fairly basic, but clean. After a few hours of relaxing, however, I noticed several things. Number one, the website advertises DVD in the room. There is no DVD in the room, only a VCR. Does anyone use a VCR anymore? Strike one, but I can live with it. Perhaps they keep the players in the office and I would ask for it the next day when I completed my check-in.

Then came the noise upstairs, doors, banging, footsteps, voices...this place may be away from the construction, but nothing about it is quiet. Even over the TV and the AC, I could hear everything clearly. Big problem.

I started looking online for another option, but since it was late most of the offices were close. As I was calling, I noticed a few small gnats or bugs flying around the bed. Not good either. I also noticed my eyes were starting to sting a little, because the bed itself smelled slightly of smoke. Not terribly, but enough. I see online that they do not have non smoking rooms, which I'm surprised at myself for not noticing, as I never would have chosen to stay here. I guess if you're a smoker, this won't bother you.

The property itself is okay, again this is a budget property so I didn't expect a lush tropical paradise, but it has to be said the pictures online are a little misleading, this place really didn't look at all like the beautiful pictures online. Again, not terrible, but certainly misleading and not impressive.

So no dvd, smokey bed, a couple of bugs and lots of noise later, I found a room at the Elysium. The guys here are really nice, and the property is obviously a lot more upscale, but I haven't been here long enough to really rate it yet. I do know so far I am a LOT happier. My only previous stay around here was THE CABANAS, which was great and recommended.

I hate to write something negative, especially when perhaps the owner is trying...and keep in mind this IS a budget property...but I have to honestly say I have NO idea where all these glowing reviews are coming from...my advice is most certainly spend a few extra bucks and try the Cabanas (or maybe Elysium, we'll see). You really DO get what you pay for.

• Liked — Manager seemed very friendly, nice location away from construction
  • Disliked — Smokey rooms, NOISE, misleading website
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank jockk407
RobnMattnOrl, Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this review, 14 August 2007
I have waited a little while to respond to this review. I only want to address 1 issue that this gentleman had and then let everyone else decide for themselves how much merit this review really holds. I quote " the pictures online are a little misleading, this place really didn't look at all like the beautiful pictures online" I had to agree with him that the pictures did not look like the ones online, they were a little outdated, so to prove how beautiful our property is we have completely updated every picture with current ones taken in August 2007. Please check them out and decide for yourself.
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

I must admit when I first arrived outside of the resort I was wondering if I made a mistake in booking... However, this is a WONDERFUL place if you are looking for being in a relaxing atmosphere with great people and not to mention the staff was EXCEPTIONAL! What sold me on this place was Steve, the manager... He made each of us feel so comfortable! I hope he reads this and remembers the two Maine men who was with the group from Atlanta, Georgia! I have stayed in a lot of places, but I have never felt more comfortable! If you are looking for a clean and small location to just kick back and relax by the pool then this is the place for you! This may not be listed as a 5 star location, but I've stayed in those and NEVER have been treated like we were on this trip! It has sold us on our next trip to Florida in Feb/March... We will be back! I just wanted to send a personal message to Steve and his staff who kept the rooms exceptionally clean and each of the little touches impressed us (breakfast in the room the next morning, towels, chairs and umbrella when we went to the beach). What a great place to just kick back and relax! Thank you because I know us two men from Maine really needed this! J & HB from Maine

• Liked — Steve and the rest of the staff. Not to mention a comfortable atmosphere!
  • Disliked — We had to leave!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

FT.LAUDERDALES, PALM PLAZA,My partner and I just returned from a long weekend and it was great. As soon as we got there we fell in love with the place. The staff was very kind and lots of help and made us feel at home.Our room had everything we needed.We had a blast and did not want to leave.We will go back as soon as we can.Loved it all.D & D

Stayed June 2007
Harrisburg PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2007

I cant say enough about my 12 day stay at the Palm Plaza Resort. The staff were incredible in making sure you were completely satisfied and made you feel very welcome. They always had smiles on there faces and would accomodate requests to the best of there ability. I came down with my bf and another couple and I cried all the way to the airport thinking of the great time I had. I would definately stay here rather then any 5 star hotel on the beach. They are only a short couple blocks to the beach so it made for a nice walk. Like I said, I cant say enough about this place. Were gonna miss ya but we will be back in September for good!!! Were looking forward to having a beer with ya Steve....see ya then

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
Hadley, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2007

My friend Joe and I had a wonderful stay at the Palm Plaza resort. We stayed from May 18- May 21st. This is in a very convenient part of Ft. Lauderdale within 2 blocks of the beach. The property is very nicely landscaped and is typical old florida style which I like.-lo rise built around a pool with lush landscaping
The atmosphere is laidback, very relaxing and unpretentious. The host and onsite property manager Keith could not have been more pleasant and was also very funny.

To me a pleasant experience needs to be more than 600 thread count sheets, wifi service and pomegranate body wraps. To us , it is the people that often make the experience and Palm Plaza scores very well here.

This is a small to medium size property that caters to primarily gay men with a range of ammenities (full kitchen, refrigerators, microwave, DVD, VCR etc) , pleasant and clean rooms and very nice staff and guests.

Neil Broome