“Not a great experience”

Ranked #42 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Centennial, CO
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My family of 5 stayed here the Sunday before Thanksgiving. When we arrived, our rooms were not ready so we went close by and ate lunch. Four hours later we were still not in our rooms (we had two). The rooms were large, but not up to standard for any hotel where I have recently stayed, including Hyatt hotels. One shower had a broken shower head, the shower was dark and not well kept, the ceiling lights were poorly installed so you could see what was behind them. It just was not the quality I was expecting from a Hyatt Hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
We regret to read about your and your family experience at our hotel. Because of feedback we have received from our guests, we are now in the process of making updates to our hotel, including new furniture in rooms and necessary touch ups. Our deepest apologies that what you experienced did not meet your standards or our own. We truly hope you will consider a future stay so that we may provide you with a stay that you deserve. Thank you for your valuable comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
CT
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights post cruise. Beautiful hotel, beautiful pool area maintained well. Plenty of chairs by the pool. Food at pool bar was fantastic, had panini and quesadillas, they were so good we ordered the same thing for lunch the next day too. Got great friendly service from both servers both days. Lovely breakfast buffet, good food and service, nice presentation, fancy dishes and little balls of butter with designs on them.

Wished the pool was warmer, it looks so beautiful but when you try to swim in it its freezing. Hardly anyone was swimming in it. It was so cold it was like water from the outside hose in connecticut! We would hestitate to come here just for the sun and pool because of that, it took the fun out of it, but for pre or post cruise we would definately come again. Very very clean and nice. We stayed in a pool view lanai on second floor and liked it a lot. Liked the resident iguanas and squirrels.

Only one thing a little disturbing, though. Our first night here we were woken up from a sound sleep at 1:00 am by somebody pounding on our door. Not just regular knocking, someone beating on it. No one was there when looking through the peephole and 5 minutes later it happened again. Still no one there visible through the peephole so we called the front desk to report it and the girl who answered said she would call security. I waited over a half hour with my eyeball pasted to the peephole, too terrified to go back to sleep and did not see anyone come up to check. Finally gave up.

The next day we reported it to the front desk staff, who seemed concerned and was understanding of how frightening it was. She said she would
tell the manager and that maybe the security staff could look at the surveillance video to see who it was. No one ever got back to us, never found out if they actually looked into it or what. Pretty scary when you are far from home and
the doors to the rooms on the outside perimeter all all accessible to anyone from the back lot or the marina.

We understand the hotel doesnt control who walks onto the property from the outside but they could have at least sent someone to take a look around and let us know if whoever was there was gone. Then if they really did review the security film they could have told us if it was just some drunk at the wrong door (or pretend it was) dont just ignore it. It makes us think the worst like someone was trying to rob or attack guests at the hotel
Still a really nice hotel overall, worth the money for sure.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you so very much for sharing with us your stay experience. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit, especially our pool area and restaurants. The gas line that heats up the pool was temporarily disconnected to accommodate the marina renovations but it will be on again shortly and the pool will be heated again and we will be ready for your next visit. Thank you for bringing up the night incident to our attention. Our hotel is patrolled by security to assure the safety of our guests and even though we took care of the situation, you should have definitely received a follow up call. Your feedback will shared with our entire team so that we can improve our guest service in the future. Thank you again and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Sister and I traveled through Ft. Lauderdale to board a cruise ship for two nights pre-cruise. Given a room in the low two level buildings on the ground floor. It was very musty, moldy smelling and very warm. when I turned up the ac and we waited, and waited and waited, no cool/cold air coming out of vents. Just moist air.
Went back to the desk and let the gentleman that checked us in know of our experience. He did offer to give us a room in the tower which ended up to be very nice, clean and cool!!
Thanks to the front desk staff for ensuring we were happy during our stay.

Room Tip: Any tower room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We apologize your initial room was not up to par but are happy to learn our front office agent managed to turn your experience around and offered you a nice room you deserved. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay, had a great cruise and that you will visit us again if your travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale.
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very good location. Recommended for holidays and accommodation in cruises.
Lovely pool, free internet, great view from the terrace of the hotel, rent-a-car in the hotel, paid parking .......
Transfer airport and port.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review. We are certainly glad you fully enjoyed our amenities and location, especially the proximity to both the cruise port and the airport. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!
MIDLANDS UK
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night post cruise and thoroughly enjoyed our short time at this resort. We stayed in the tower over looking the Intercoastal Water Ways and had a superb view from the balcony. We found the hotel to be very relaxing particularly the beautiful grounds surrounding the swimming pools. We dined at Orchid Pool Cafe, Pelican Landing and The Lobby which in all cases was very nice and reasonable priced. The staff were great all very friendly and service to match. The only negative was that our room perhaps could have been given a little more love and care for example the light swich when entering the room could not turn off and consequently the light was on all through the night --- as we were only staying 1 night we did not want to move in the middle of the night to another room (this was reported room number 862 to the housekeeing and Front Desk and trust that this issue has now been resolved). Overall we enjoyed our stay and would return without hesitation. Thank you.

Room Tip: Nice View in the tower !
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BLUEWONDER1
It is such a pleasure to learn your stay, although short, was pleasant and totally relaxing and our team provided friendly and professional service. We will check on the room 862 to make sure it is ready for other guests-thank you for bringing it up. We hope you visit us again soon and possibly for more than one night. Thank you for posting your survey
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I treated my mother, my daughter and her best friend to a spa day at Spa 66. I was a little disappointed in that after we checked in to the spa -- which was not a warm and cozy check in area like other spas I have been to (and I do frequent spas), the first thing I notice is the door to the women's locker room which is dirty and all scratched up -- definitely does not match with the beautiful chandeliers hanging above us. Okay, so if the door is not clean -- is the rest of the spa going to be clean -- the lockers were clean but small and dated. As was the bathroom area. When we went into the steam room, I am lying there with my eyes closed and suddenly something falls on me -- paint from the light and when I look above me, all of the paint is lifting away from the light fixture. Really -- how much would it cost to paint the front women's locker room door and replace the light fixture. When we sat in the lounge area which is directly adjacent to the not so warm and cozy check in area, you get a feeling of very little privacy. While this is a co-ed lounge area, which does not really bother me, I really do not want people walking into the spa to see us in our robes with very little on underneath. Also, it is certainly not quiet as you can hear everyone checking in and you hear the staff talking and coming in and out of the check-in/office area. This could be remedied by at least hanging some floor to ceiling curtains where the area is that is open to the check-in. It would give us more privacy as well as act as a buffer for the noise. Also, there are large windows allowing in a tremendous amount of light. Spas are supposed to be serene, quiet, relaxing ...... it just was not. I will say that the lounge area was clean but the ice water was room temperature and the hot water for the tea was lukewarm -- a fault of the staff not checking on this area -- easily remedied to keep these matters in check. The spa treatment rooms were clean -- however, a light that constantly changes colors made me feel like I was in a disco and NOT in a spa. What is with that -- put the light on one soothing color. And I had this happen to me in both treatment rooms -- one for my massage and one for my facial. Thank god I could close my eyes or that I had something draped over my eyes at times or I probably would have gotten a headache. The staff seemed well trained and I checked with everyone else in our party and they seemed to agree -- especially Judy, the massage therapist -- I heard she was awesome. I would love to come back and receive a massage from Judy, but not until I know that I would have a truly relaxing day there. I do not understand how a chain such as the Hyatt allows a supposed premier property to be in this condition. Oh, one last thing we had lunch at the poolside restaurant called Orchids -- it was okay -- but we all laughed at the name and the fact that there were not orchids around the restaurant or hanging from the trees -- where were the orchids -- I know -- Hyatt is on a budget. What a waste of a beautiful piece of real estate.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RidgeandSherryLyn
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize your spa experience was not as relaxing as you rightfully expected it to be although we are glad the staff proved professional and friendly. I have forwarded your comments to our spa owner and she will be reaching out to your separately. We definitely want you to return for a massage or other treatment in a relaxing atmosphere. We agree about the Orchids name and are planning to change it in the near future. In the past years we did have live orchids there but they did not seem to flourish in our climate so we leaned instead toward Florida indigenous plants, which fare much better.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We checked in late, got our room, the room was spacious with a large bathroom, but it did not have a view. When we made our reservation the web site said that we would have a view of the marina or ocean, we got the back lot. The bathroom needed some maintenance, a little mold in the shower and some damaged base boards. Early in the morning, about 7:00am we heard a back up horn and hammering, we were hoping to sleep in a little bit. The back lot was under construction. We did tell the front desk about the noise and were given $50 off our bill. Probably won't be coming back"

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Iwona R, Execuitve Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your stay feedback with us. We are disappointed to read your visit did not fully live up to your expectations. We are in the middle of the room refreshment project, which should be completed soon. We would love you to return in the future. Please contact us directly so we can assist you with the booking process. Thank you.