“Top Service from Bobby Guida - Bell Captain”

Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six
Ranked #42 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Ft. Lauderdale is my hometown and though I've been away for years, it was my wife's first trip and I wanted her to have a great time.

I chose Pier 66 for its' reputation and as it was not far from all the great memories, places and beach I knew growing up. I had hoped for the best, but there were some gaps along the way - i.e. the construction we didn't know about on the canal-side so that we couldn't sit out on the porch and enjoy the small view. Also, the night staff weren't going out of their way to assist when we arrived after our 25 hour flight from Hong Kong.

Nonetheless, we had a good stay overall; ate well, were generally treated nicely by the concierges, desk staff and others, but in the end, it was Bobby Guida who made our day!

Bobby was a pleasure to be around; funny, helpful, even sympathetic to our cause - importantly, he made things happen. Not to go into great detail, but the factors were that he knew all the right people, made all the right introductions, passed on all the relevant details and you just felt that he was truly interested in our well-being as he took steps to make our lives easier.

Bobby, if you read this, thank-you for being such a nice guy and so helpful to my wife and I. From that point on, our "epic" holiday just got better and better! (California, Florida, 8 cities, 1500 miles, 21 days...). See you in Hong Kong!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeffjj2005
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Welcome back to the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six! We hope you visit brought a lot of wonderful memories and created new ones for your and your wife. We are sorry the initial welcome was not as expected but are glad the rest of your stay was enjoyable and that Bobby made it extra special. We will definitely pass on your wonderful comments to him and the entire team. We know your live far away but hope to welcome you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My mom and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 over the New Years break. The room I reserved was described on the website and my reservation confirmation as: 2 Dbl Grand Beds:In the upper half landmark 17 story tower:290 sq ft:Balcony: Oceanviews. When we checked in at the hotel, I was told they only had city view rooms available. I protested, as this is not what I was paying for. We were told we could be put into one of the grotty rooms at the back of the property [yes it was next to the canal, but the patio door did not open, and the next morning there were locals walking their dogs on the foot path outside our room, so access was clearly not restricted!]. I asked whether the room rate was going to be adjusted, as that room was less expensive than the ocean view room I had booked, and was told No. I was then told that we could be 'upgraded' to an oceanview room the next day - which truly annoyed me, because I was being charged for an oceanview room in the first place! We finally took the room (it was that, or sleep in the car). The next day I didn't hear from anyone about being moved [I was told they will contact us when a room opened up in the main building, but when they hadn't called by midday, we went to reception]. There were rooms available, so we were moved to the seaview balcony room - i.e, what we were being charged for.

Couple observations:
- Saying 'sorry' goes a long way. At no point did the check-in agent say 'sorry'. It was basically a take it or leave it attitude.
- We were not contacted the next day about changing room as we had been promised. If you don't intend to keep a promise, then please don't make one.
- I was told at check-out that the reservation in the hotel's system showed for a different room to what my reservation had (which is why we ended up in that horrible room the first night). So, I don't quite understand why we were sold one type of room on hyatt.come and then another was put into the reservation system of the hotel. I was promised at check-out that they would escalate the matter to the reservations department. It's now been three weeks and of course I haven't heard from them, and they still charged me the higher rate for the first night.
- The seaview + balcony rooms are worth the extra money. We loved the room.
- The breakfast is good, eventhough the service was a bit hit and miss.

I was looking for an alternative to the Hilton (that's where I have all my points and status), and figured I'd give the Hyatt a chance. After this experience with Pier 66, though, I'm not so sure any more...

Room Tip: Pay extra for the seaview and balcony rooms. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank bucanon001

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us. We apologize for the less than pleasant experience. This is definitely not the impression we want to leave our guests with and your comments will be passed on to the management. If the incorrect charge issue is still unresolved, please feel free to contact me at iwona.reveliotis@hyatt.com and I will follow up. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Great grounds, very clean rooms, view was great from the tower overlooking the port. The only thing lacking was a inexpensive breakfast choice. The meals we did eat on the grounds were very good especially at Pelican Landing, awesome coconut shrimp. The hotel is a little isolated but for 1/2 nights it is ok. water taxi can get you out to other locals to eat if you wish. We paid for a garden room in the 2 story buildings but received a free upgrade to the tower which was great

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank motherjoy

Thank you for your review. It certainly seems you fully enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six. We could not be happier to read you found your accommodations clean and comfortable and the food at the Pelican Landing delicious (we love coconut shrimp too!). We hope you make Pier 66 your permanent cruise vacation stop.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We had a 3 day pre cruise stay at the Hyatt in mid December. Our room was in the low rise areas close to the water. We have stayed at many of the hotels in the area-on the beach and on 17th.

We very much like the Hyatt. The room was perfect, the hotel was very well maintained, and the front desk folks were great.

We travel often for leisure and in the past I travelled extensively for business. We will no doubt return to the Hyatt Pier 66.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ian c
Management response:Responded 27 January 2014

Thank you for the perfect rating! We are glad that after many visits to Fort Lauerdale you decided to try our Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six and are excited to read you had a wonderful time and our team made you feel welcome. We hope you make Pier 66 your home away from home. See you soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stay at a lot of Hyatt's. This property needs some attention-given its high price point.

Why?

-Front Desk-grossly understaffed during peak periods
-Health Club-dated, but 3 out of 5 stars
-Pool Area-ok, but we didnt see many service staff wandering around the pool.
-Lobby Bar-4/5 stars. Ricardo is a star and provided excellent service
-Room-nice view, but you need to avoid rooms near 17th Street highway noise.
-The Bed-excellent 5/5 stars
-Bellman-excellent 5/5 stars
-Operators-excellent 5/5 stars
-Other: why no shuttle service to the beach.
-Focus-seems more focused on servicing "airline crews" versus the average traveler
-Food-Pool food was ok
-Parking team-excellent (a third party).
-Check Out-I still dont have an emailed bill.
-Good news: Very close to the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Why general low rating? High price-but walked around the beach area and the Marriott looks like a better choice for +$300/night. Nicer pool area. More modern features. Direct Beach front. Remember this property is not on the beach.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank alex r
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

We are sorry your recent stay did not quite meet you expectations in all areas, but we certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We are definitely glad you like our location and the room amenities like the comfortable bed and want to thank you for nice comments about our staff, especially Riccardo. We will pass on the kudos to the team. We will work harder on customer service and hope you visit again so we can wow you!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The overall experience was terrific after we got the room we wanted. The view from the 10th floor looking toward the ocean was spectacular. But at first we were told that there were no rooms ready so we waited 2 hours to be notified that a room was ready. Finally we asked the desk what was going on and we were told that they forgot to call us and the room had been ready for an hour. So we went to the room and the only view was the tar roof of the ballrooms. We were told that we would get an ocean view room and so we refused the room. We then got the higher room and we were very satisfied. However there was no clock radio in the room so we had to ask for another one. The next day we noticed that the maid service had not brought in any new towels so we had to ask for towels. A few little items but we expected better from a Hyatt.

Room Tip: Pick the highest floor facing east possible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dan F
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid comments. We are definitely glad you got to enjoy the sweeping view from your balcony. We are sorry we were unable to offer your the room the moment your arrived and there were a few items missing. We will share your comments with our team management. It is great to know you had a terrific stay overall and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night before our cruise on October 4th, 2013. I can't remember the man's name who checked us in but he was so friendly. It was our first time in Florida. We ate in the restaurant, the one just over from check in and the food/drinks were great, we had ribs and fries and a couple of drinks, the staff were amazing. Saturday morning, we popped into the dining room for a quick breakfast of coffee and toast before heading to the ship and while I am not sure the ladies name who seated us, she was amazing. I think she might have been a supervisor or head server? She chatted with us while she seated us and wished us all the best for a wonderful cruise. The hotel grounds are beautiful. We walked around them a couple times on the day we arrived and before we left for the ship in the morning and took some pictures. Our room was nice, we had a balcony room overlooking the marina and that bridge that opens up for the boats. View was great, room was clean, no noise, TV worked, bathroom was clean and had lots of towels & toiletries. We took the shuttle to the cruise port, the concierge was a very nice man who set up the arrangements for us.
For our first time in Florida, it was a very pleasant and wonderful trip. If I had it back, I would have stayed here for the night after the cruise instead of sitting in the airport for 10 hours waiting for our flight from the time we got off the ship. Would I stay here again? Definitely. Would I recommend it to friends? In a heartbeat.
Thank you to the fantastic staff of Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six for making our first trip to Florida a very enjoyable one. My only con is we only had one night here instead of more.

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room with a view of the marina. Luckily, we were given it and I'm so glad we we...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

What a pleasure to read "Fantastic" in the subject line! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review. We are excited you chose Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six as your accommodations during your first visit to Florida and that you fully enjoyed your experience. We will be sure to pass on your great comments to our team members who offered such excellent and friendly assistance. Thank you for your high recommendation and see you on your next trip to Florida!