“My room smelled like a pier......”

Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six
Ranked #41 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta, Georgia
“My room smelled like a pier......”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon entering my room, I was overwhelmed with a most unpleasant smell. I couldn't tell if it was from water, smoking or some sort of deodorant to cover up one of the other smells I just mentioned. I went into the bathroom and it smelled like someone just put out a candle (sulfery smell). I got dinner room service and b-fast room service. The service was on time. The dinner was a 3/5 and the breakfast was 1/5. I couldn't eat the bacon or "potatoes". I put it in quotes because they didn't even taste (or texture) like potatoes. The vanilla latte was horrible too. The alarm went off at 3am (obviously for the poor sap that was in the room before me and had a 6 am flight. Why did I give this room 2 stars, instead of 1? One reason (and a big one). The wifi was excellent. Fast and reliable. Let me also mention that this was my second stay here. The last one was some time ago and it, too, was bad. At least they are consistent. I really was tempted on not staying here again but all of my meetings were in Ft. Lauderdale and I am a Diamond Member at Hyatt. Let me make 3 suggestions:
If you are loyal to Hyatt, go stay at the Hyatt Coral Gables. Fantastic property.
If you are not loyal to Hyatt, you have a good choice of other properties. Choose one.
If you like movies, either go to Cinema Paridiso (great little cinema) or watch a movie in the room (if you go to movies, then exit out, they offer you a $5 discount, making them not a bad deal).

Room Tip: Not here.....
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DKH-Work
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts and feedback with us regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your loyalty to the Hyatt brand and regret that during your last two visits we did not provide you with the Hyatt experience you deserved and expected. Rest assured we will pass on your comments to other departments for review and improvement to our services. We can only hope that in the future we may earn your trust and your business again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,205)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the recommendation from our friends. They told us how beautiful and romantic the pool area was. They were right .We were given a room in the tower with a great ocean view to boot. The staff was wonderful especially the concierge Leo. When we asked him for a commendation for our anniversary dinner he suggested a great Italian restaurant called Casa d' Angelo that was fantastic. He even surprised up with a bottle of Champagne and strawberries. We had such a great time. Room tip: Try to get a ocean view room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Happy Anniversary!!! Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six to celebrate your special day (and a special thank you to your friend for the recommendation!). We are thrilled we exceeded your expectations and our team, particularly Leo ensured you had a memorable stay. Thank you for posting your review. We wish you many more happy years and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six in the future.
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We immensely enjoyed our one day stay at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66, in particular because hotel staff let us check out two hours late so we could spend more time on the beach. The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous with flowering plants, palm trees, and miniature pagodas. They have soccer nets for kids to play soccer and a huge chess set for outdoor chess play. Although smoking is allowed in the swimming area - and it's impossible to avoid the smoke while swimming - the pool is huge and the "falling water" is refreshing. We would have preferred to stay at a hotel directly on the beach, but we booked a hotel through Hotwire to save money and Hotwire gave us the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 which was nearby. Our only real complaint was the surly bellhop captain who met us as we entered the lobby. His snide comments suggest that he needs a major attitude adjustment if he wants to stay in the hospitality business. We tried to befriend him as we left, but he figured out a way to rip us off on a cab ride to FLL. He lied and said that the lowest taxi service to FLL would be $20, which he conveniently arranged with his friend. We later learned from reading the hotel's website, and I quote: "Transportation FORT LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: 3 Miles South West. Hotel courtesy van is NOT available. Quick and Safe Transportation Shuttle: $6-$16 per person one-way. Call or book online. Taxi: approximately $15 one-way." Mmmmm. This is a poor reflection on the hotel to employ such dishonest people. It wasn't a major rip off, but hey, no one likes to be ripped off. Especially when they act like jerks to you and you try to be nice to them.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bill O
Thank you for sharing with us your feedback regarding your recent visit. We are happy you had a pleasant stay and that you liked our pool area and all the outdoor games and that our team was able to offer you a later check out so you can enjoy your vacation a little longer. We are sorry to hear about your experience regarding the transportation and we will make sure to pass on your comment. Our bellmen should always disclose all the transportation options to our guests. We are glad you enjoyed your visit overall and hope you will return if you travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Twee weeks ago I checked in for the first time: I got a "Marina"room instead of a tower room, high floor. Telling this to the reception
man, the only thing he could say was: I cannot do anything about that.
Because I often stay at Hyatt hotels, I decided to give them a second chance.
By checking in, the only thing they could say at the reception was: name, ID and creditcard, even without saying welcome.
This time I got a high floor, Tower room. The room was, like the Marina room old with bad maintenance.
I made a call to the reception to ask if they could put me through to Hyatt Key West.They didn't had the phone number although it is also I Hyatt and put me on hold. After 10 minutes I hang up an rang again. The lady at the reception told me, she doesn't have the number and connected me with a Toll free number. What a bad service. I am not used to that from a Hyatt. I also have made a reservation for 3 more weeks, but I will cancel these reservations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Joyce O
We were distressed reading about your experience at our hotel but we appreciate your candid comments. Guest feedback provides us with new perspectives about our hotel and service and thus helps us make improvements on an ongoing basis. We are sorry you decided to cancel your future reservations as we would appreciate an opportunity to make things right and offer you a stay you deserve and expect. If we can be of any assitance, please contact us at iwona.reveliotis@hyatt.com. Thank you.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Food service /room service menu choices are poor............................... . The Bellman is Excellent, concierge is excellent, housekeeping is very good............................... . The Bellman is Excellent, concierge is excellent, housekeeping is very good.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Saddened_12
Thank you for your review. We are sorry the food options did not quite meet your expectations but we are happy many of our team members delivered exemplary service. We hope you enjoy the rest of the stay with us.
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I for the first time came to Ft Lauderdale the experience started when we first walked in and greeted by Paul the bellhop in a very friendly way, meet the front desk (our fight came in very early) they gave us the perfect room overlooking the pool ..best room ever. Everyone at the pool from Garry and Jim at the towel pick-up hut to the outside café( Orchid pool) were the greatest people ( Cynithia and Mary) were great and the bartender Ronnie and Eric the service was outstanding in everyway possible ..the food was very good . We wanted to go to different places in the area ask the bellhops they sent us to the best places around .We also went to the Grill 66 down the hill my wife has problems walking they took us down with a cart and brought us back after dinner .We also went to the inside bar was great also a great experience the sad part of the whole trip was checking out we didn't want to leave an when we left Beverly told us when we want to come back to call her to get the best again and we will be back ..THANK YOU to the whole staff at the Hyatt Pier 66

Room Tip: We had the perfect room pool side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
What a pleasure to read your wonderful review of your first visit to both Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six and Fort Lauderdale. We appreciate your kind words about so many individual members of our team and will pass on the kudos to all! We are pleased your enjoyed your accoomodations overlooking the pool and that our team created a welcoming feeling. We hope you will return to Fort Lauderdale and visit us again at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six!
Island Park, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

LOVE LOVE LOVE this place...we visit Lauderdale every year and Lauderdale is always fun but the hyatt 66 rocks. Relaxing by the pool with cordial Mary and Carolina and Mahia bringing us our orders from the ever hospitable Felix at the Orchid pool bar and Jim and Gary making sure we have clean towels while hanging at the pool. The manager Mike that strolls around making sure all is well...seriously ...what more could you ask for. It's warm and welcoming here ...highly recommended and definitely will be back!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Iwona R, Executive Assistant at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Ahh...we felt so relaxed just reading your review of your pool area experience at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six... Thank you for returning to our hotel every time you visit Fort Lauderdale and for letting us in on your experience. We appreciate your high recommendation to fellow travelers and thank you for highlighting so many members of our team, who are always attentive and friendly. We cannot wait to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay at Haytt Regency Pier Sixty-Six!