“I did catch a Monster & the crew were great!”
Review of Fishing on the Monster - CLOSED

Fishing on the Monster
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I did catch a Monster & the crew were great!”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

On March 17, my teen son and I used a Groupon for a fishing trip. It was a split charter with two others. I was quite concerned when I read the reviews below, however, I must tell you that I totally disagree. I landed a 9 foot, 350 lb hammer head shark! The mate was very helpful as I fought the fish for 40 minutes - he was both knowledgeable and skilled at his craft. The captain was also professional. Yes, the boat wasn't a brand new Hatteras, but it was more than adequate for deep sea fishing. We left the dock early when all passengers arrived and we returned to the dock late. We clearly got our moneys worth. Now, if you don't catch any fish and there is no action, I could see the experience being less than positive, but that is not the fault of the Monster - fishing is spotty at best at certain times of the year. I just think all the folks below who gave the experience a bad review may have had unreasonable expectations about deep sea fishing. Oh, yes, while I was bring the monster up from the deep, the mate asked twice if I wanted to have the fish mounted by a taxidermist. I said no, all I wanted was pictures. End of conversation. No high pressure sales tactics. Come on, people, get a grip!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank psyguytoo

fort Lauderdale
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This was a rip off. Find someone else to take you fishing.”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Our day started off with a 40 minute wait while the captain got parts to repair the boat. Once on the water we had to go catch bait. After that the captain rigged some lines with some other bait we began dragging the bait behind the boat. After our 4 hour tour there was one fish caught that was not used for bait. After getting back to the dock the captain and his sidekick were very vocal about wanting a tip. Why in the hell would you give a tip to someone if you did not catch a fish. The person that caught the 'one' fish had to wait 20 minutes before the sidekick asked what she wanted to do with the fish. She told him she wanted it cut up. The sidekick only gave her half of the fish. When asked about the the other half the sidekick said that they kept half of the fish. This was nothing more than a rip off. They are not looking for repeat bnookings.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Pissed O
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“They're not in it for repeat customers, just a 1 time.”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The captain and crew should've used common sense as far as boating conditions and canceled the outing. 4 of the 6 of us were sick and no one but the captain caught a fish. I believe that when you go fishing you're supposed to hold a rod, not on this trip. Most of us sat for 4 hours watching the captain and mate rig up. We were told we'd change it up, some wreck fishing and different ways to attempt to catch fish, again no. Fishing may have been bad but the boating conditions were worse and it should be about the customer, didn't really see it. Sorry guys. I should've just gave my 2 year old my money, would've been the same.

Visited November 2011
4 Thank joe s
Scituite, Mass.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One word...AMAZING!”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

So glad I spent the time and money this spring break to enjoy fishing with my family on the Monster! Great crew! All very knowledgeable, skillful and FUN! Our captain for the day was Capt Lige who basically made this trip something my family will never forget! Was great with my 2 kids and showed us all an amazing time! If your looking to have a good time and catch some fish, I would definitely recommend taking a trip out on the Monster! Our family has already agreed to make this an everytime thing when we fly down to Ft. Lauderdale!

Visited March 2011
1 Thank Jannie76
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Scam, scam, scam!”
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Stay away from Monster Fishing. They try to force you or embarrass you into mounting practically every fish you catch because they make a big commission off every mount. Don't bring your kids or a girlfriend/wife or they'll make you look like a cheap person not wanting to invest in memories for your companions. Then what is even worse... once you leave the dock they throw the fish away or cut it up for bait, and just call the size, color, and species of fish into the local taxadermist! You don't even get your actual fish, you just get a fiberglass replica, but they don't even tell you that. Oh, not to mention, the boat blows black choking black smoke all over the place. It is in disrepair. On the time I used it, it has bondo patches all over it! OMG! Stay away from this mess. The city should put these scam artists out of business.

12 Thank enlivenus