“The second worst hotel I've stayed at”

Ramada Plaza Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #115 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Franklin, Ohio
“The second worst hotel I've stayed at”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The worst hotel was the Ramada Maingate West in Kissimmee Fl. on the same trip but this Ramada was also terrible. The hotel was dirty and the sheets on our bed were from the previous guests.The bed had been made up but without changing the sheets and the coffee machine and dirty cups were still threre from previous guests. The food was mediocre though some of the staff in the restaurant (Cristina) made it a more pleasant experience and Diana at the tiki bar was a treasure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Janet A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We travel with our little guy. By little, I mean he is 12 years old...or 11 when we stayed. We really do try to make the best of it, but it wasn't awfully easy here. This was the first hotel provided to us by the time share promotion package that my other half signed us up for (AGAIN).

Start with the good...

We had a ground floor room with a small patio area. It was okay.
Dinner buffet tended to be pretty nice selection and very tasty if you aren't into fancy (which we aren't)
Variety stores within walking distance.
The room didn't smell bad.
Staff was nice and helpful when they could be.
Umm...that's it for the good.

Downfalls...

Ground floor room (with 11 year old boy) was located right beside the tiki bar.
Breakfast and lunch buffet had limited selection. Unless you arrived exactly at serving time, you could wait upwards of 20 minutes to get seating.
Key cards were very temperamental...sometimes working, sometimes not.
Hard to find the ice machines and vending machines, as they were not in the same place and there were no signs or directions.
Room, though not smelly, didn't appear to be excellently CLEAN.
Yes, stores were within walking distance...NO, YOU COULD NOT WALK THERE unless you had a death wish. THIS IS NOT A PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY AREA IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. Do yourself a favour and DON'T TRY!

SCARIEST PART OF OUR TRIP...

We're from Canada. It is highly disturbing to us to go around the corner and find a strip plaza with signs following in this order...Shop Front #1: WE BUY GUNS AND GOLD!! Shop Front #2: WE SELL GUNS AND KNIVES!! Shop Front #3: SHOOTING RANGE!!

I honestly thought stuff like that was just a sterotype set out in the movies.

So, long and short, would we stay there again? Not on purpose.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MakeTheBestOfIt
Karen G, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Fort Lauderdale is in high season in February and their are long lines in all restaurants throughout the city during this time. I'm sorry you had problems with your key cards. The truth is, some guests have them backwards and upside down, or run it through too fast or too slow. Things that deactivate the keys are moisture, rubbing up against another card, sun lotion on your hands, and a variety of other things. The bar code needs to pass the reader at just the proper angle and speed. Sometimes it takes several tries. All other hotel amenities (like ice machines) are mapped off and easily visible in the Room Directory.

Travellers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Yeadon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I booked this in advance, before I left on my trip my bill came. I paid the bill when I came home. Then the following month there was a charge of $70.00 I did not authorize, or know I was being charged. I called the girl at the front desk said she would credit my account. Later I received a call from Mgr. Hugh Townsend saying this is a resort fee, and also said the booking company charged me this. I called booking company and they said no the Ramada charged me this. The Mgr is not telling me the truth. So this is now causing me aggravation I don't need. So I will not pay this and I will call their corporate office and dispute this on my credit card. The Ramada did nothing to tell me of this extra charge, I would have booked somewhere else. This is fraud, and they are not going to get away with this. This is how I feel now, there are other honest hotel chains I hope others will use. You go away to enjoy yourself, not to have aggravations when you come home. (My total cost I agreed to was $362.55, nothing more) Plus we left maid a $5.00 tip.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel that is honest and don't charge your credit card with unarthorize...
Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank PrincessLindaM
Our daily Resort Fee and Surcharges are listed on all websites. Upon check-in, guests are asked to sign their folio (as you did) which discloses all this information. Copies of folios and signatures are always available to the guest at check-in, during their stay, and at check-out.

Brentwood, California
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Located in a poverty area. We had to stay here because it was apart of our vacation package. Ghetto and dirty. We were out a lot, so we didn't stay at the motel much. Wore sandals in the shower because we found hair and grime in the tub. Don't recommend at all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KathleenF83
The hotel is located on a commercial route of a very large city. Consequently, thoseo businesses that close and open around us are out of our control. We do have daily maid service in each occupied room, and we hope that our guests will advise us if they find something unacceptable so that we can make our apologies, and either correct the situation or relocate the guest to another room. We're sorry you didn't give us the opportunity to rectify this situation while you in in-house.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I had read several Trip Advisor reviews of this hotel before we headed on our trip recently and was actually kind of scared. We stayed at this hotel since all I had to do was pay the taxes on this room as part of a vacation package I won for donating an old car I had.
I really enjoyed our three-day, two-night stay. We received a free breakfast each morning of items like coffee, eggs, sausage and fresh fruit just to name a few. Our room was pretty clean and I really enjoyed taking a shower with the sugar scrub shampoo and conditioner we received. I would have preferred one queen or king bed instead of two full beds (since I was on a trip with my husband) but they bed was actually comfortable.
The tiki bar was really nice and the pool and hot tub were really clean and refreshing. We even hung out at the sports bar and enjoyed a couple of great frozen margaritas!
The front desk staff and our waitress we had for breakfast was actually really nice, even though other reviews said the staff was rude.
I do agree with other reviewers that you need to rent a car, have a GPS ready and have a little bit of a plan if you are spending time in Fort Lauderdale.
Other than that, we had a great time in Florida and a great stay at our hotel!
The water was yellow but there was an explanation for that in the bathroom.
I agree with other revi

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Donot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get tricked all the reviews are real of the scams from the cruiseline is true run far away or you will pay this hotel staff is a messy even the trashy lookin women that werk in the welcome center busted an rude no one cares.....it Is like jail food an the timeshare a bunch of bull there robbing u without a gun i wish i would have listened its a Scam taking from rich give to poor type of thing an the Cuise its old hospital food an a sale block to sleep in its a big disappoint but u live an learn listen to the reviews i wish i did its True

Room Tip: dania beach area
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liestheytell o
We can only hope our guests understand that we are ONE of the fulfillment hotels used by guests who purchase vacation packages. We have many guests arriving from all over the world who book their own reservations and have their own agendas who do not have to deal with any of the above concerns. It appears that ou were pleased with the hotel itself, your overnight accommodations, the food, the grounds and the staff.

florida
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Very noisy air conditioner unit that went on and off all night quite frequently. Old old old. Food terrible and minimal.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sue R
A noisy air conditioner is a quick fix if you make a call to the Front Desk. Depending on the time of day (or night), our Maintenance Department would have either repaired it or replaced it. I'm sorry you didn't give us the opportunity to address this problem while you were in-house. We have a full breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet of freshly prepared foods. Breakfast consists of scrambled eggs, sausage, peppers and onions, cheese sauce, grits, a full assortment of breads and danishes, 5 different kinds of dry cerals, oatmeal, fruit and all the associated condiments.
For lunch, we provide an assortment of lunchmeats, breads, tuna, egg and chicken salad, fresh greed salad wth all the extras to add, and a full pasta bar with three different sauces and meatballs. Dinner always has the pasta bar, two entrees (like chicken, beef, sausage, fish), Caribbean blend vegetables, mashed potatoes and gravy, soup, and the full salad bar, as well as desserts. I'm sorry you couldn't find anything to your liking.