“Texas to Florida”

Ramada Plaza Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #114 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed at the Ramada on June 12, 13, and checked out on June 14 for the Cruise.
The staff were friendly.
The pool and hot tub were spotless.
The hotel is older, but it was clean.
The outside was kept very clean while I was there.
There was one thing in the dining room.
I talked too the manager and he was very polite.
The next morning I noticed a big change in the dining room.
I would stay at this Ramada again.
I walked over too the CVS next door, it's a older neighborhood, but i wasn't affraid.
I'm a 56 yr old grandmother and weight 92lbs. No one bothered me. I felt very safe at the Ramada.
Thanks,
Elizabeth L. A. Gallagher

Room Tip: I was in the back part, smoking. But I also had a handicap parking permit. I liked the peace and qui...
1  Thank Elaag G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 30 June 2012

i stayed there three days and they charged me 10 a day for things i never agrreed to or explained to me ,., they just take what they want ,., they put hold on card for misc charges but i used nothing and they still took all the money they put on deposit and now im fighting with my banking systen to get it back ,., upon ariving i was cursed at and was rudely treated ,., if i had not bought the hotel through third party i woulda left on the spot ,.when arriving at room my towel rack was hanging off barly on and black mold was all over the shower ,.i went to desk and they said they had no different rooms and then i watched them check in another 2 guest before i got mad and left .,they were rude and threatened to call the police unless i quit talking avout how bad the hotel was while they are checking into the hotel,., ,. upon checking out they charged my crediut card over 180 dollars ./ there is only 9 basic cable stations and internet is none or 5 minutes to change a page and might just lose everything at anytime the internet wants to go off,., just like the cable ,. if this company didnt have blind contract with the cruise ships then they woulda been outa business long time ago,., i found out later that this junk hotel can be bought on priceline for 30 a night ,. dont bring your medication? no problem lotsa drug dealers and prositution so leave your perscriptions and wife at home ,.they have all you need at 120 an hour here .guest smoking crack by the pool and i saw one little 6 year old girl pick up something like a crack pipe she cut her foot on,.the staff said sry let me throw that away for you ,., run for your life this place is very bad ,.big pit bull dogs in parking lotchasing you around when you go to your car,., one bit my leg and tore my slacks and front desk said i shouldnt have went outside so it was my fault ,., this hotel was super desperate to charge every penny they could for every thing and the ones that complained they called the cops on and cops dragged them out ,., not the druig dealer or prostitution but the good people who paid for vacation in ft lauderdale and came from wisconsin,.they come on room at 8 am and 5 more times asking you all sorta things of no reason even when you have do not disturb signs on door and you are naked in bathtube you might have company at anytime of day from staff walking in ,. very very bad place ,., run like the wind ,.

Room Tip: ,.u will not like this hotel,., do not bring valuables ,., pick a good room by going elsewhere...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank MARC R
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I can honestly say that my fiancee and I had a great time at The Ramada. We were not there on a vacation package...We were just looking to get away for a few days.Our room was nice and clean with a great view..We had a cold breakfast buffet included with our stay each morning....I didn't mind it because we eat light for breakfast but everything we wanted from bagels,cream cheese,cereal,toast, juices,coffee and even cheese danishes were there!..They also had an all you can eat hot breakfast buffet we could upgrade to for a few bucks if we wanted. We booked directly through Wyndam and got a very good rate! We even brought our 5 month old son and they made special accommodations for us. The pool area was very neat and clean. The hot tub was awesome. We stayed during the Miami heat Championship game. Only if it didn't rain that week we would've used the tennis court! The location isn't bad its close to everything we needed..My fiancee wants to go back when I have time off again..The La Quinta is in the area along with The Homestead Suites but those properties looked dead and boring. The Ramada was lively with great amenities and very friendly staff. We are definitely going back!

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Don't be deceived by the name "Ramada." First Warning Sign - 3 Police Parking Spaces in the Parking Lot. Second Warning Sign - 3 Pawn Shops within 1 block radius. Third Warning Sign - 2 Tatoo Parlors within 1 block radius. Fourth Warning Sign - Adult Book Store within 1 block of Hotel. This hotel is not in a good neighborhood. You are 15 to 20 minutes to the beach. The worst part of the hotel is the smell of mold and mildew in the Welcome Center.... then when you are in your hotel room... you won't want to walk around barefoot. The whole place feels dirty and is dirty. If you can afford better, PLEASE stay somewhere else. We checked out after one night and went somewhere else. The Free Cruise if you stay at the Ramada and do the timeshare tour at another resort isn't worth it. Free isn't free.... The only good thing about this hotel is the staff. Everyone we encountered in the lobby and restaurant were friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is o.k. The quality matched the prices they were charging if you didn't have the coupon/voucher to get the meal for free. I learned the hard way, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: See if the rooms in the hotel's website pictures actually exist... then book that room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sara R
Reviewed 14 June 2012

The Ramada Plaza is a hotel used for guests that have been suckered in to see a time share resort at a different location. I will talk about the hotel itself, but I first want to warn you about another area of the hotel. Most of the guests first have to go to the Florida Welcome Centre. What a horrible experience; my family and I waited over 20 minutes to just be told that we had to wait for Brian as he was the only one that would deal with our booking. We waited another 15 minutes; so my husband went quickly to the car to get something. Of course we were called while he was gone; Brian asked in a very rude tone where is the rest of your party. I explained that he would be right back and if we could just start while he was gone. He then pointed to a sign and said "can't you read, you will not be seen without your whole party". I tried to explain that it had been a long day and that we weren't there to set up any time share meeting but just to get our vouchers. He then said while walking away from me, I can't meet you without all your party as it is policy. I again tried to explain that my husband would be right back and we were only picking up our vouchers for the hotel and cruise. He turned and said "I will not meet with you without your man" and then he walked out of centre and went down the hall. By this point I was more than angry. My husband actually passed him in the hall and we then had to wait another 10 minutes for him to come back. When he came back in I let him know my husband was here and could we please start, his reply was "I guess". Do you think he even said hello to my husband - no; the only thing I will give him credit for was he talked nicely twice to my 6 yr old son. I explained to him that this had been a long day and that we had had a lot of issues with setting up this time share viewing that we just wanted to get our vouchers and go. His reply was well that had nothing to do with him; and then tried to get us to go to other time share viewings. When I kept shaking my head and saying no, He then raised his voice again, and again in front of my son " If your going to be like that just take these and tossed the vouchers at us across the desk. When I tried to ask about the cruise he said I gave you the map just read it. I was so frustrated and mortified I can't tell you and for all that waiting so my man could be there - he didn't say one word to him. They want me now to look at their timeshares - are you kidding. While at the pool I met many other couples and families and found out most had similar horrible experiences or were swindled out of even more money. We were also told that the taxes for the hotel would be covered; they are not.

Well enough of that on to the hotel.
The Lobby:
Fairly nice a bit old in places - but overall I've seen worse
The Front Desk Staff:
Very good and deserve a medal; they get a lot of customers that just went through a similar experience as I just did so we are already upset. They go out of their way to help and try to be very sympathetic to what is happening. They gave us suggestions of places to see and eat and they were great suggestions.
The Hallways:
Quite gross, stained dirty carpets, torn wallpapered walls, furniture taped up and broken; actually made us scared to go in the room.
The Room:
We had two double beds which was fine for us, our room was fairly clean - carpet could of been vacuumed better - which I mentioned to the staff and they took care of it right away. The room is quite dated and the furniture is plastic - ewww; so we didn't use it. The linens were clean, I checked bed for bugs - none, and bathroom was clean and a fair size. Overall, poor to average.
The Pool area:
This part of the hotel we loved, the pool and hot tub area does need work as it is dated; but the both the pool and hot tub are large and a great place for kids and adults. They have a Tiki Bar by the pool with great drinks, which was needed after the day we had. The staff at the bar are hit and miss; We had 2 great ones and 2 rude ones. They have a garden just off the pool area that surprisingly is very well kept and beautiful. My son loved the pool area, to the point he was disappointed in the morning that it was raining.
The Restaurant:
We didn't use it, I went in and looked at the buffet and it didn't look very good. People around the pool said that it wasn't good food.
We went to a place suggested to us by the front desk as we were looking for an Italian restaurant - the place was called G G's and is just a very short drive away (wouldn't walk in that area of town by yourself or with children)
G G's was fantastic, just a quaint like Italian eatery. The food was excellent, well priced and the service was great. If they try to talk you into their dinner buns and if you like garlic - get them they are amazing.
Overall:
I wouldn't stay here again, like other reviews it was part of a package and we had no choice, but there are much better places to stay and you don't have to deal with AWFUL Florida Welcome Centre.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MB2andE
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed a couple of nights at the Ramada (as part of Bahamas cruise/time share package). I did not find it as terrible as some reviews suggest, but I can understand why some travelers would write that, I guess it depends on rooms. Our room was Ok, did not find anything to complain about, it was clean and fine except that it was close to the pool and the bar, which is noisy until 1 am. The hotel by itself is not great, the hallway is in poor condition. We had 2 breakfasts there and one dinner, nothing exciting about it, the room is kind of depressing but the food is OK, it's buffet style so you're likely to find somethinhg you like. If one considers the overall package value with the cruise (we also stayed 2 nights in the Bahamas), it's all right. One quick say about the cruise, since it's part of the package: a lot of people are kind of anxious about it because they are concerned it's going to be a "floating Ramada' and they also have to go through the "harassment" of the time share people...well, it's actually pretty good, service, restaurants, we enjoyed every bit of it, so don't get depressed by the Ramada and enjoy your vacation and your cruise!

8  Thank stef30621
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotl weas so dirty and gross taped broken furniture, lamp shades, stained carpet,holes/stained curtains, bottomless pull out sofa bed, crumbs on the head board, broken front door.......... We complained to the managment shortly after we checked in and then again the next morning but nothing was done. My daughter was injured on the broken front door and was told by managment that her injuries did not merit getting the first aid kit. Needless to say we left and only stayed the one night. i strongly recommend that if you are vacationing on a package that you insist on going to an alternate hotel (they have them just wont offer until you really insist)! I only wish that I had taken pics to share.

1  Thank kirpans7