“Good stay before a cruise”

Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port
Ranked #21 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Grand Bend, Ontario
“Good stay before a cruise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed here a couple of nights before a cruise. My husband booked this hotel through Hotwire and got an excellent price. This was our first experience with Hotwire. Now I admit that I am rather picky about hotels, and so we were apprehensive as to how it would turn out. However, we were pleasantly surprised, and everything went very smoothly.
As others mention, the "lobby" is very small space and on the lowest level. All the other services: pool, internet, restaurant, spa, offices, etc. are provided on an upper floor ( I think it was the 7th floor?) There are no in-room safes, so you must take any valuables to the downstairs lobby (front desk) and sign them in and out of the hotel safe.
The arrangement of the shuttle was a little unusual, but was just fine.The shuttles came into the parking area below the hotel and not on the street in front. Best of all was the service provided by a man in the lobby at a little concierge desk. We didn't know at first because he was running around like crazy with a clip-board, but found out he was designated just to look after guests taking the shuttle to the airport and cruiseport. He wrote our names down and organized all the shuttles. He even arranged for a shuttle at the end of our cruise, to meet us at the cruiseport and take us to the airport (not even going to the hotel), which was great and indeed was waiting right there when we came out of the cruise disembarkation area! Kudos for great service to the Shuttle guy.
The hotel is rather by alone in an industrial area, so there isn't much around it in terms of eating or shopping. BUT the hotel itself is just fine and new, with an upscale outdoor area, spa, and pool. There seemed to be a number of groups staying here, which sometimes means noise. But we slept well and it wasn't noisy on our upper non-smoking floor.
We needed to buy a few things before getting on our cruise (including 2 bottles of wine to take on the Princess cruise), so walked over to the Publix in the Harbor Shops shopping center nearby. The information given to us was that people take a taxi to 17th Ave and through the main entrance to reach that shopping centre. Well, that takes much longer and is totally unnecessary, as the walk is perfectly safe along the #1 highway which has sidewalks, and it was easy to cross the road at 20th St., go past the storage facility, and continue straight along 20th which takes you into the back of the shopping centre where the Publix is located!
Hint: The map shows that if you want to go to Harbor Shops, 20th St. appears to be interrupted at SE10th Ave? Well, indeed you can't drive through there, but there is a very nice footpath right through, joining the two parts of 20th St. and well travelled. So the walk took maybe 10 minutes? But we took a cab back with all our parcels, and because he went out to 17th, then had bad traffic and stop-lights to get around onto #1 and so forth, it actually took longer on the return!
Minus: only one - the restaurant in the hotel pretends to be upscale in the evening with tablecloths, specialty wines, etc. but is really just the breakfast room. It is overpriced for what you get; meanwhile the fluorescent lighting, loud music from the adjoining bar AND the large screen TVs going constantly mean it isn't a quiet relaxing place. We ate there for convenience.
Others have advised to go out by taxi for dinner because there are better restaurants elsewhere, and I would agree.
I did however manage to spot a bottle of this year's Beaujolais Nouveau on the shelf! Although neither the waiter or the bartender knew what it was and couldn't bring it to us, we got it eventually - I just had to walk behind, pick up the bottle, and take it to the bartender myself. He had no idea about wine.

Room Tip: As for upper floor, non-smoking, quiet, and away from elevators.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Plainville, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We were stranded to say the least. My wife and I along with two other couple flew to Ft Lauderdale to go on a cruise. We came a day early to unwind and get ready for the vacation. The hotel we originally booked turned out to be a REAL DUMP! It was now after midnight. We found The Crowne Plaza Airport/Cruise Hotel only a block away and took a chance that they might have 3 rooms available. We were treated like royalty by the desk manager, Carl Dorvil! He went beyond the call of duty, treated us so well, got us rooms for that night and also booked us for the next night as well. I do a lot of traveling and I am treated well very often, but Carl was the best! On top of that, the hotel was beautiful & the rooms were awesome. All three couples went to the restaurant hotel for dinner the 2nd night. The service was great and the food was excellent! I give this hotel 6 stars of 5...TOPS and BEYOND!
THANKS CARL!

Room Tip: All three rooms that we had were absolutely great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PastorBenson
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale with friends for a once in a lifetime dream vacation and we had booked a hotel through a popular online booking company and "thought" we were getting a nice hotel. But when we arrived we were very disappointed and started in our search for a new hotel at 1:00 AM. The Crowne Plaza was nearby and we stopped in and couldn't have been taken care of any better! The front desk clerk on duty was the best! His name is Carl Dorvil and he was a breath of fresh air for some weary travelers. My wife and I had left Maine 17 hours earlier and Carl's smile and service and help was one of the best things to happen to us that day. Thanks Carl!

Pastor Artie Dean
Bangor, Maine

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Artie D
Curacao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel and found everything we were looking for. Prior to arrival I requested a double bed and the double room was ready for early check-in.
The lobby is indeed in the "basement", but this is no problem at all. The parking attendants are very friendly and from the moment you step in the hotel everyone is all smiles.
Great service from Michelle and Gabriele at the front desk, always cheerful, always willing to got the extra mile.
I had ordered some items through Amazon.com and these were promptly delivered (after being held for me in a secured area).

We found the room to be clean and comfortable, the beds were great, it was nice to have a goodworking fridge, microwave and coffee-maker. The big screen TV's are pleasant and eventhough the hip decor is not my style, it gave the hotel a fresh look.

We stayed on floor 6, you could see the cruise ships across the street at Port Canaveral. I would definitely stay at this hotel if I'm cruising as it is the closest to port. There is a wellstocked sundry store on floor 5 to buy your last minute items if you don't have a car.
I do recommend renting a car if staying longer than 1 day. This is pretty easy as Hertz has an office in the hotel and Thrifty and Enterprise are across the street.

The business center with free highspeed internet, printer and office supplies helped us out a lot when we had to change flights and make other arrangements.

Room service was VERY quick, very affordable and actually very tasty.

For a 3-star hotel, we experienced 4-star service and amenities. I will most definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The hotel has a "quiet" floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Myrouck
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

On a recent return from the Caribbean, I needed to spend the night in Fort Lauderdale and so I chose the Crowne Plaza near the Fort Lauderdale airport. I had not stayed in this hotel before and was impressed; especially the decor and customer service. The hotel appears to be new, has a very colorful appearance, and has a welcoming feel. I ate in the restaurant twice and the food was good with the breakfast being very tasty and quite reaonable in price. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle to the airport. In all my interactions with the employees, I found everyone to be helpful and accomodating. This hotel gets my recommendation.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel pre-cruise in January, 2012. Had two rooms for our group. Yes, yes, yes, the lobby looks like they built the hotel first and then said "Hey, we forgot a lobby!" Really, I am not sleeping in the lobby so it's no big deal to me. The rooms were clean, comfortable. The restaurant was ok, not gourmet but the service was friendly and food was decent. We did really enjoy the outside area on the fifth floor, nice patio, pool and you could see the cruise ships from there. Actually a nice, clean hotel to use for pre-cruise purposes. I wouldn't stay here for vacationing in Ft. Lauderdale but for what we needed, it fit the bill.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SATraveler_11
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed here for one night January 21 before going on a cruise. The rooms look new, but our room was not clean. When we arrived I noticed the toilet was not clean so saw a maid in the hall and let her know she came and cleaned it. We went for a walk to see if there was restaurants or stores. This hotel is not in an area with many stores and restaurants. Actually the area looks run down. The pool looked nice, and there is a large sun deck which was very nice for sitting. The next morning I went to use the hairdryer and found hair on the handle, so I think our bathroom was not cleaned at all. This definitely turned me off this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple