“Not for allergies sufferers...”

Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port
Ranked #22 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I chose this hotel because of its convenient location as I was leaving on a cruise the next day. Luckily it was only for one night as I had the worst night ever. I'm allergic to dust and mites but I have never had a bad night sleep in a hotel until that night. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't breathe anymore as my nose was completely clogged. Even my husband, who didn't even know he was allergic before this stay, had a stuffy nose but nothing compare to what I had. Needless to stay, my vacation didn't start well... It's very disappointing to have to pay for a room just to wake up in the middle of the night feeling like you are going to suffocate because the bed is infested with mites and dust which makes me wonder about how they clean the room. Also, the corridors had a constant overwhelming chemical smell, probably some type of air freshener. It was so strong I felt sick everytime I was in the corridors. This hotel is all about the look and as a previous poster said, look can be deceiving... I didn't bother to complain as I was leaving the next morning but if I had booked this hotel for more than one night, I think I'd have just move to another hotel. One night was more than enough. I do not recommend this hotel for allergies sufferers.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank butterfly_183
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear butterfly_183,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the room you received did not live up to your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of cleanliness and we would like to assure you that these challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you will give us the opportunity to create a better experience for you in the near future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 December 2012

Before or after a cruise, this hotel is the perfect place to stay. We actually walked (2 miles) to our ship. Personnel is great and will help in anyway they can. Overall great place. They were painting the outside of the building when we were there, but we still had access to every thing from a different entrance. So nice to see the ship we were boarding from our room, and free shuttle from the airport was welcome (you have to call them).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carole.y.gauthier
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Our stay at the hotel was made very pleasant by the attentive staff employed there. Whomever hired Andre Georges, the General Manager, Keith Jindo, driver, Matilia at the front desk, and Maria, Bu, and Fernando in Kiki's, the hotel restaurant, should be commended. They are all great at what they do!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This is a very nice hotel and could not be more convenient for a pre- or post cruise experience especially if you are flying in. Both the airport and the cruise port are about 1/2 mile away. they have a free shuttle from the airport and an inexpensive shuttle from the cruise port ($10) back to the airport. There is a restaurant on the premises which is also very convenient. Beds, cleanliness and bathroom are excellent.

The only disappointing experience was trying to catch the free shuttle from the airport upon arrival. They have so many shuttle vans working the airport you have to be on your toes and look for the right van. Other vans had exclusive logo's posted and the drivers got out and yelled the name of the hotel. We must have missed the van three times as it took us an hour to finally recognize it and flag it down. Three phone calls to the front desk did little to assist us. Apparently they hire recent immigrants who are not familiar with customer service, or English language etiquette. They blow you off and just tell you where to stand and say "It will be there, it will be there". They don't tell you to look out for a particular van nor did the driver get out and announce who he was driving for. Luckily when the van stopped I got a good look at the multiple hotels it serves by reading the emblems on the side. The main marquee on the roof said "Hyatt" or some other major brand so that is why we overlooked it. Not fun standing out there at the airport for an hour waiting for a ride. This is the only caveat and I imagine at other times of the day or other days of the week this may not be an issue. We noticed another smaller van at the hotel parking lot that is clearly marked "Crowne Plaza", therefore other guests may not have the experience we did. The hotel, services, location etc. far outweigh the minor shuttle mishap.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor and experienced no noise or discomfort.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lou C
Reviewed 8 December 2012

The Crowne Plaza had everything we wanted the room was big and clean the restaurant was good and the location was excellent. I can't imagine a better location for cruisers. Take a walk down the street to the pollo tropical restaurant it is great!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank CheGusto
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Rooms were clean with coffee maker and microwave . Nice pool on 5 th floor . Free shuttle . Close to cruise port . I would recommend this place for a one night stay for Pre / post cruise . But there's not a lot to do in the area .
Anthony's coal fired pizza is just around the corner and well worth the walk there about a 4 min walk great pizza and wings.

Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Travler455
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed here for one night prior to a cruise (Allure of the Seas, fantastic). The hotel has a shuttle to the airport or cruise port. The room was very clean, modern and well furnished. The bed was comfortable but poor pillows - old foam type that didn't offer support. The bathroom was very small but there were toiletries and a hair dryer. There wasn't any airport noise from our room. Breakfasts were poor - we had a continental breakfast included in the room rate but the restaurant waiters weren't aware this was possible and we had to show our voucher to get verification. There was only a choice of fruit juice OR tea or coffee (not both), and cooked breakfast or toast. I thought it was poor quality and did the hotel a disservice. Staff were ok in the restaurant and the shuttle service to the ports was well organised. I'd probably stay here again if in Fort Lauderdale for a cruise because it's so close to the cruise terminals. There are other hotels that are closer to the airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple