“Good Pre-Cruise Hotel but avoid the Shuttle”

Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port
Ranked #24 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 23 December 2012

My husband and I stayed 1 night (Dec 8) at the FLL Crowne Plaza Hotel in advance of our cruise. The airport shuttle took over an hour despite that we called immediately upon getting our luggage to let them know we needed to be picked up. In their defense, I have had the same problem before with a different hotel and I think the FLL hotel shuttles overall are super slow and I would advise just getting a cab. The hotel lobby is trendy looking and checkin went smoothly. We were given a handicapped accessible room (not necessary for us) which was absolutely huge, clean, and nicely decorated. Although we arrived quite late for shopping and eating (9:45pm) we wanted to go to a drug store to pick up some items for our cruise. We inquired about a nearby drug store and were told there is a Walgreens a few blocks away but it closes at 10pm so we decided to walk to the 24 hour CVS which was just over half a mile away down SE 6th/US1. There is a Denny's kitty corner to it were we grabbed a bite to eat. The area was ok. While there were some sketchy businesses along the way, it was reasonably well lit and I didn't feel unsafe, though there were four of us walking together so maybe that helped. Upon getting to the hotel I had asked how to get a taxi to the cruise port and I was told to take the shuttle offered by the hotel. I really wanted a cab because the price seemed steep for getting to the port which is so close and I'd had enough of waiting around for shuttles already, but no matter how many times I asked about a taxi I was given no end of excuses as to why we should not call a cab. We finally gave in and booked the shuttle and although we were given a specific departure time we ended up standing around in the parking garage for 45 minutes waiting for the shuttle which we were told was running late due to some road closures and port congestion. We watched 3-4 cabs pull in and drop people off but we had already paid for the shuttle so we could not switch to a cab at that point. Overall, I liked the hotel room and found it clean with good access to electrical ports for our various electronic devices and a comfortable bed, but the transportation from the airport and to the cruise port required far too much waiting. In short, I would stay here again but next time I would definitely get a cab instead of taking the shuttles.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank snickerseg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Dear snickerseg,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is nice to know that you liked the room and found it clean. On the other hand, please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the unsatisfactory shuttle services. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

994 - 1,000 of 1,350 reviews

Reviewed 22 December 2012

Stayed Dec.6-8, two days in advance of our cruise. Natilia & Alexis, at the front desk, provided upgrade to spacious room, and reserved same for Dec. 15 return post cruise. Hotel has real good South Beach vibe, caribbean decor of blues and greens. Clean hotel with terrific pool deck facing east/west sun exposure. Plenty of outdoor lounge space. Kiki's restaurant adds just enough menu and beverages for a relaxed lunch /dinner with excellent cocktails. Very good mojito and wine selection. Excellent skirt steak, black beans and rice. Transfers to/from cruise port are extra but not high. Seamless transfer to/from hotel, airport and cruise port. Nice boutique flavor to this hotel. Thanks Natilia & Alexis for the attention, service, and help.

Room Tip: Ask for 1020, if available.
1  Thank JDCW_12
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We chose this hotel because it's close to the cruise port. The front desk personnel are very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The only downside is the hotel isn't close to places to eat. As we rented a car, we didn't use their shuttle bus to the cruise port. The hotel staff recommended Gold Coast Car Rental. They picked us up at the hotel to take us to their lot to pick up our rental car. We received a complimentary ride to the cruise port after we returned our vehicle. Gold Coast prices are very competitive with the huge rental companies. We would stay at Crowne Plaza and rent a car from Gold Coast again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ChiLuvsToTrav
Reviewed 21 December 2012

If you have a cruise booked out of Fort Lauderdale and are flying in a day or two before, this is the perfect hotel. If you don't have a cruise booked but are just visiting Fort Lauderdale, this is the perfect hotel. If you actually live in Fort Lauderdale and just want a change, this is the perfect hotel. Spotlessly clean. Comfortable beds. Wonderful, wonderful pool. And the food in the Kiki restaurant is outstanding. Home-made soups using all fresh vegetables. Tender, juicy port chops. And the best caesar salad I've ever had. The croutons alone are worth a trip to Florida. We ate five meals there including breakfast, lunch and dinner, and in every case the food and service were flawless. There is a sundry shop that has just about anything you could possibly need, and a few things you didn't even know you wanted.
Just one word of caution. Unless you have all the time in the world and do not mind waiting out in the hot sun for hours, do NOT use All-Stars shuttle service to get from the port back to the airport. And if you do use them to get from the hotel to the port, do NOT pre-pay for a ride from the port to the airport. Take a cab back to the airport. It's so close it won't cost that much. All-Stars will tell you they'll come to the port every ten minutes, but on the day of your return you will find they have many, many, many excuses as to what the holdup is. However, if you DO like waiting for hours in the hot sun outside the cruise port and calling All-Stars over and over again, only to be told the van will be there in ten minutes, then you can disregard this warning.

Room Tip: Our room was high and looked at the port so we could see all the cruise ships. We didn't ask fo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Barbara K
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Hotel is modern decor and clean. Hotel restaurant food and service was very good. Airport shuttle took 3o minutes to pick us up *after I called*. Then another 10+ to go to other airlines and hotels even tho hotel is 3 miles away - could take a cab for $10ish. Gym is more than minimal and clean. Other than gas station convenience store, no food or shopping less than 1 mile away.

1  Thank AmyPP
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Our last night’s accommodation, before flying home after an extended stop-over from a 14 day cruise from the UK.
The hotel is simply brilliant and the staff are fantasticly friendly, informative, helpful and extremely cheerful (they gave the impression that they really enjoyed working there!)
We arrived early (too early for check in); however the receptionist offered to store our luggage whilst we hit the Sawgrass Mall (where we spent till we dropped).
On our return to the hotel, our room was ready and hotel staff took care of our luggage, taking it to our room.
Our room was on the 10th floor and was superbly modern with all the usual facilities of an up market 4 star hotel (two double beds and refrigerator).
A special thank you to Carl, on reception who was really brilliant, friendly and so helpful.
We had our evening meal in the Kiki's the hotel restaurant, which offered an extensive menu and drinks at extremely reasonable prices - probably the best meal in our 5 day stay in Florida.
Crowne Plaza - we will be back

Room Tip: All rooms should be brilliant - the higher rooms provide fantastic views
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I chose this hotel because of its convenient location as I was leaving on a cruise the next day. Luckily it was only for one night as I had the worst night ever. I'm allergic to dust and mites but I have never had a bad night sleep in a hotel until that night. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't breathe anymore as my nose was completely clogged. Even my husband, who didn't even know he was allergic before this stay, had a stuffy nose but nothing compare to what I had. Needless to stay, my vacation didn't start well... It's very disappointing to have to pay for a room just to wake up in the middle of the night feeling like you are going to suffocate because the bed is infested with mites and dust which makes me wonder about how they clean the room. Also, the corridors had a constant overwhelming chemical smell, probably some type of air freshener. It was so strong I felt sick everytime I was in the corridors. This hotel is all about the look and as a previous poster said, look can be deceiving... I didn't bother to complain as I was leaving the next morning but if I had booked this hotel for more than one night, I think I'd have just move to another hotel. One night was more than enough. I do not recommend this hotel for allergies sufferers.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank butterfly_183
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear butterfly_183,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the room you received did not live up to your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of cleanliness and we would like to assure you that these challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you will give us the opportunity to create a better experience for you in the near future.

Joel B