“Good Way to Stay in Ft. Lauderdale”

and 1 more site!
The Chocolate Five Star Hostel and Crew House
Bern, Switzerland
“Good Way to Stay in Ft. Lauderdale”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The major advantage of this hotel is its location. Only a few minutes (by car) away from the beach and the city centre makes it attractive for young people. The staff gave me a warm welcome and were always happy to help me. The rooms are located in fully equipped apartments (bathroom, kitchen, living room).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I found the hostel with a google search and decided that I would give it a try for my ft lauderdale stay. Upon arrival I was greeted by enthusiastic staff & within minutes of putting my bags down I had been introduced to lots of other people and we were all chipping in for a dinner on the grill. I found everyone to be friendly and fun , we all headed down the road for some drinks later on. The general vibe is great, not too far from the beach or airport and the bed comfy. The staff really make sure you get your moneys worth!! If I ever venture back to Ft Lauderdale I will definately be staying at the Chocolate Hostel once again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 June 2011

This hostel would probably be a great place if the purpose of my trip was to party, drink and enjoy loud music not caring about the facilities in which I slept.
Unfortunately that was not the purpose of my trip. I was in Fort Lauderdale for business and this hostel was dirty (rubbish including plastic bottles and the packaging from sanitary towels were in the room upon my arrival), uncomfortable (my mattress was slightly thicker than a camping mat and very uncomfortable and the bunks were old and not easy to climb due to the design) and the environment was loud (music was played very loudly from directly outside the room until after midnight every night).
Additionally there were multiple mix-up that needed remediation: I was originally put in a smoky, mixed room despite having asked for a non-smoking girls room and the room had not secured by the hostel for the full number of nights I paid for. Thankfully the staff were helpful in these regards and fixed these problems.
I have stayed in many hostels all around the world, and this was by far both the most expensive and worst experience of hostel living I have had. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify what type of room suits you
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank louiseckeegan
North Jersey
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Very undesirable group of tenants. Resembles that of an unruly and not very fun "Animal" House.

Room Tip: Get a private room, or a Marriott for same $$
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Conisour
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed at this hostel with my girlfriend and it was a good experience. Never used a hostel before but I must say I hope others are similar to this one. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. The rooms we got were pretty clean and roomy. Came with TV's and and a nice kitchen in the suite. There was also a nice sized pool on the property.

The location is great also. There is a grocery store within walking distance, and several restaurants seconds away. Best part is that you can catch a bus to the beach or airport, less than a block from the hostel.

Overall it is a great pick of a hostel and for the price, you get your money's worth. They also threw an awesome party for the residents while we were there. Thank you so much again for sending me the item I lost in the room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had never stayed at a hostel before and had heard mixed reviews about staying at one. However, this was by far one of the best places that I have ever stayed at during a vacation. Staff was friendly and lots of young people who were there just to have a good time. Stayed in an apartment suite which felt like an actual apartment...perfect since we stayed there for 6 days. Definitely booking this place again when we return!

Room Tip: If going with others, ask about apartment rooms
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Bhubaneswar, India
Reviewed 6 April 2011

This was one of the best places I've ever stayed at on a vacation, and I wish I had known about this place before. The service was great, the prices were extremely affordable, and the private, 2 bedroom apartment that I rented started to feel like my very own vacation home. There's also plenty of parking, and the location is close to everything. My only regret is that I didn't put on enough sunblock for the endless hours that I spent at the pool.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends