“Cares more about money and less about customer satisfaction”

The Chocolate Five Star Hostel and Crew House
Reviewed 15 August 2011

NEVER AGAIN will I stay here and I strongly recommend you check out another hostel nearby with better service and cheaper pricing. I thought paying more and in a semi-private room would mean a better stay - I was wrong.

I've stayed in hostels all over the world and the country and I promise that you can do better staying elsewhere.

Upon stepping into the room I immediately could smell the cigarette smoke. I'm not sure if someone was recently smoking inside or if it was just a smoke stench that was stuck on the walls and furniture and there to stay. Not being a smoker, I found it very disgusting. Not to mention, I'm allergic to smoke.

I sucked it up for the evening only because I checked in after-hours and it was too late to find another place. I was supposed to stay two evenings but could not stay in a smelly room again so I left the next morning and drove the 4 hours home.

When I called them early in the afternoon with a message and again at lunch time, I was told that they would call me back in a couple days about receiving a refund for the second evening that I did not stay. They didn't call so I tried calling again in a couple days, and then again a couple days after that. Then again. All with no return call and no refund for the second night that I did not stay. It's now been three weeks with no call.

If the hostel was full and they had to decline visitors because of my reservation I would understand not getting my money back for a night that I did not stay there. But they were far from full - there were only three girls out of 8 beds in our one apartment being used.

I would not give such a bad review if it was just a smokey room and a sub-par hostel environment. But being a level-headed person and never talking disrespectively to their employees I felt their treatment and actions in this situation was completely uncalled for and showed me that they don't give a crap about their customer satisfaction and only care about getting the buck.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank cristentampa

Reviewed 13 July 2011

The major advantage of this hotel is its location. Only a few minutes (by car) away from the beach and the city centre makes it attractive for young people. The staff gave me a warm welcome and were always happy to help me. The rooms are located in fully equipped apartments (bathroom, kitchen, living room).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I found the hostel with a google search and decided that I would give it a try for my ft lauderdale stay. Upon arrival I was greeted by enthusiastic staff & within minutes of putting my bags down I had been introduced to lots of other people and we were all chipping in for a dinner on the grill. I found everyone to be friendly and fun , we all headed down the road for some drinks later on. The general vibe is great, not too far from the beach or airport and the bed comfy. The staff really make sure you get your moneys worth!! If I ever venture back to Ft Lauderdale I will definately be staying at the Chocolate Hostel once again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2011

This hostel would probably be a great place if the purpose of my trip was to party, drink and enjoy loud music not caring about the facilities in which I slept.
Unfortunately that was not the purpose of my trip. I was in Fort Lauderdale for business and this hostel was dirty (rubbish including plastic bottles and the packaging from sanitary towels were in the room upon my arrival), uncomfortable (my mattress was slightly thicker than a camping mat and very uncomfortable and the bunks were old and not easy to climb due to the design) and the environment was loud (music was played very loudly from directly outside the room until after midnight every night).
Additionally there were multiple mix-up that needed remediation: I was originally put in a smoky, mixed room despite having asked for a non-smoking girls room and the room had not secured by the hostel for the full number of nights I paid for. Thankfully the staff were helpful in these regards and fixed these problems.
I have stayed in many hostels all around the world, and this was by far both the most expensive and worst experience of hostel living I have had. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify what type of room suits you
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank louiseckeegan
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Very undesirable group of tenants. Resembles that of an unruly and not very fun "Animal" House.

Room Tip: Get a private room, or a Marriott for same $$
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Conisour
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed at this hostel with my girlfriend and it was a good experience. Never used a hostel before but I must say I hope others are similar to this one. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. The rooms we got were pretty clean and roomy. Came with TV's and and a nice kitchen in the suite. There was also a nice sized pool on the property.

The location is great also. There is a grocery store within walking distance, and several restaurants seconds away. Best part is that you can catch a bus to the beach or airport, less than a block from the hostel.

Overall it is a great pick of a hostel and for the price, you get your money's worth. They also threw an awesome party for the residents while we were there. Thank you so much again for sending me the item I lost in the room.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I had never stayed at a hostel before and had heard mixed reviews about staying at one. However, this was by far one of the best places that I have ever stayed at during a vacation. Staff was friendly and lots of young people who were there just to have a good time. Stayed in an apartment suite which felt like an actual apartment...perfect since we stayed there for 6 days. Definitely booking this place again when we return!

Room Tip: If going with others, ask about apartment rooms
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends