“chocolate is my flavor candy.”

The Chocolate Five Star Hostel and Crew House
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“chocolate is my flavor candy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

My experience with chocolate hostel the close to my favorite places and church I appreciated for allowing me to stay here for a week. I'm currently homeless and on disability with no help. I hope for to get help so I can recommended others to chocolate hostel thank you.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I enjoy staying at the Chocolate; having stayed twice for 2 months at a time.

I think it is a very comfortable way to stay in Fort Lauderdale.
It is close to McD's, Dunkin Donuts, CVS, Denny's all across the street or within 5 min walk.
But stop to airport also 5 min walk away.

10 min from the hostel is trolly bus stop to beaches which costs 1 dollar per ride or 3 dollars all day, 9:30 to 6:30. But I usually walk to the beach, being about 1.5 miles away or less. There are plenty of markets within walking Farm, Winn Dixie, Publix, Dollar Tree, and Ross if you need clothes.

The apt you get with your bunk is spacious living with TV, dining area connecting to Kitchen which has a full refrigerator, stove, oven, sink, and plates, pots, silverware, utensils for cooking.

The bathroom is what you would expect from any bathroom and if someone piggy was not in there before you it should be clean because they have a person who cleans the apts and they are orderly with lockers, space in large closets, dressers for your clothes, so if you lock your things nothing should walk away on its own. I do lock my things up when I am not in because I have hostel experience now going on two years traveling and staying in hostels. I lock everywhere I go out of habit and to not take chances.

This place is comfortable, large, organized and clean. Bunks are spacious and have 9 in mattresses on the lower bunks. On top it is still comfortable but the mattresses are lighter, not as tall, to be expected.

There is a courtyard and pool outside where everyone socializes. The music is on from about 11pm to about 2 during the week days and longer on weekends. It is eclectic, avant guard, and subculture or jazz, oldies, classic rock, depending on who is DJing, and on Thursdays they do a movie night by the pool. Sometimes there is beer pong, BBQs, Karaoke, etc...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Harrisburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

When I first came to the hostel it was mid afternoon and very quiet however being a Friday night it became a very lively yet relaxing place to stay. I was greeted as if I was part of the family the whole time. Complete strangers sharing favorite dishes and enjoying music together. There was even a live performance very entertaining. The gentlemen who was in charge of housekeeping was extremely polite. Unlike what you normally find at any hotel. This place gets 7 stars from me.

• Stayed January 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I am James from Los Angeles and travel through Fort Lauderdale frequently and have been staying at Chocolate Hostal many times over 10 years. Formerly known as Bridge II - I recommend for singles, friends Families, Couples, Business et al. James

Room Tip: My error here No Fitness Center or Spa but many in the Fort Lauderdale area.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
La Antigua Guatemala
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

How can I start! I booked this place because it was the only available in town. I should have known! I have been staying in crew houses for the last 4 years. I normally use this one company which has some excellent, over the top service, impeccable houses and rooms, and over all a great company. The price of this hostel (chocolate) is higher than the people I normally go to. So imagine when I come into this place and I'm told my "semi" private room is a room with a bunk bed... I was a bit surprised but didn't make a bug deal, although I did comedy in my surprise to the attendee. I then paid my deposit for the key and moved on to check out the room. Another surprise, there was this stench, this horrible indescribable stench, as soon as I opened the unit's door. The place was dirty, obviously. I moved then to the room... There it was! The bunk bed! Wow, not a single sheet, but the items of my lower bunk roommate all over the place. Not surprised there. The room was tiny, tiny, and after seeing I was going to have to share this stinky, dirty, dark, and messy place with someone else I decided to leave. Does it sound like too much drama? No, I am not a drama person, I just felt I was being mistreated... I called a friend and she agreed in having me at her place.

I asked them for refund, and alas, they don't accept refunds, wonder why! I told them I still wanted to leave.

I later decided to email them about the situation and how frustrating it was the fact that I didn't even touch the bed and still they wouldn't give me my $215 back. I'm unemployed, looking for work, and they bluntly decide to keep my money. I was clear with my message, not rude but clear about my thoughts. We went back and forth a few times, at the end, the employees decided I was harassing her because I mentioned her attitude was wrong, and said if I am ever seen in the premises it will be taken as trespassing, ha! They offered a credit to be used later, I said I could give it to someone if they needed it, they said it was personal... If I didn't stay there now, why would I stay there later? Anyway, totally a bad experience. I didnt know about their policy until I got there... Of course, this is written at the bottom of their emails in tiny letters... A really bad experience. I work in hospitality and service, this place is the best example of people who do not understand those words. And believe me, it is not about the money (although I do need it) but about feeling taken advantage off. Some people might have no idea how for less money they can find better service and a clean room... I feel for them for just taking whatever is given to them.

I forgot my passport at their reception when they asked me for an ID... I am really not looking forward to going back there.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank mopalomo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I spent 1 week there and met interesting people.
super super clean, helpful staff, great service, great community.
there is kitchen with all utensils and tools.
$20/night, swimming~
I can't believe there is even a swimming pool. I can swimming!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jane G
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

Did not actually stay there but checked out tbe room before i did which was cool that i did. You share an apartment with another yor bedroom has a lock on it. Furnishings were minimal and seen better days no wait better years. The sheets were gray that were on the bed but probably began as white decades ago. Nice location. Parking. Cheap. Girls in the office were nice. Might work if yr 20 but if yr in yr 40's maybe not so much

• Stayed February 2013