“Great balance for business and/or family, it has everything you need. I'll be back in my next visit!”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I just returned from a 4 day business trip and hosted in the B Ocean and found it very balanced, you can do everything you need... The service since I arrived was excellent, meeting rooms and my room itself had a great ocean view. It is in the middle of all you need, I worked out ouside running by the beach, had a good time walking around and visited the Galleria Mall which is very close (5min walking), where you can find good restaurants, etc. In the hotel, the rooms are simple but VERY COMFORTABLE, I would say that the best is the bed and pillows! - the only thing is that they don't have a fridge. Sushi restaurant downstairs is good as well as the bistro, both are cost-effective. I definetly reccommend and would be back with my family next time!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are ocean front but those near to elevatros are the best because at the sunrise yo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Dear evillegas,

My team and I thank you for taking the time to share such nice comments about your recent stay with us. It pleases me to read comments from someone who obviously travels frequently on business and leisure. All of the team members at B Ocean Fort Lauderdale value your business and hope you have an opportunity to come back and B Our Guest again very soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Joel Darr

Write a ReviewReviews (2,947)

Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed at B Ocean in February 2011, after most of the rooms had been remodeled but before the actual grand opening of the hotel. The upper floors were not finished yet so our room was on the 3rd floor. The room was laid out perfectly. It was small but they somehow managed to fit a king sized bed, a lounge chair, a small but efficient bathroom (shower only, no tub), a dresser/TV stand with built-in Frig, and a bar with a desk on one side and bar chairs on the other. Really they did a superb job at making the most of the space they had. Our room was an economy version, cheapest they offered in the hotel, or at least I assume so because we booked on priceline, so they no doubt offer much larger rooms. The room was very bright and airy. It was actually somewhat uplifting just sitting and relaxing in the room because of all the happy colors on the bed sheets and the wall.

So room was great, and mostly that's all you're looking for in a good hotel, but the rest of hotel was pretty sub par. The Pool is so small as to be a waste of time. It is literally 12 feet by 24 feet. That's really tiny. Smaller than a private pool one my have in their backyard. The pool ares is just as small too. There is about 10ft of open area on each side of the pool filled with chairs. The ambient music playing in the background was hip/modern and quite relaxing. Mostly instrumental stuff with no lyrics. That was nice.

The front desk staff was not very helpful. We needed to stay a few hours past checkout so that our toddler has someplace to nap, and despite the fact that the hotel was not booked nor were they going to be the next night, they put up a huge resistance. In the end they allowed us to stay 1 hour past checkout without charging for the extra night. We though it was really poor form that they actually made us beg in order to stay 1 hour past the normal checkout time. They could have easily accommodated us yet they chose to be arrogant and petty about it.

The hotel is right across the street from some of Fort Lauderdale's most relaxing stretch of beach and that is a huge plus. If you stay at the B Ocean you are at least a half mile north of most highly trafficked beach area so it is quiet and relaxing. No boom boxes, no parasail vendors, not many people, just you and the beach. We thought that was pretty sweet.

Overall the B Ocean was a nice hotel. The remodel resulted in some really nice rooms, but the pool is a waste of time and the front desk staff needs some customer service training. I certainly wouldn't stay there for more than 2 nights at a time, because with the limited amenities that would get really boring, but for a night or 2 it is a nice place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank evilchad2000

Dear evilchad2000,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us from last February, a lot has changed in the six months since you visited us. My team and I appreciate you pointing out how nice our hotel rooms and view are and that our beach is so nice and accessible. We have since been awarded 4 Diamonds by AAA and my staff is receiving wonderful accolades from our guests. As for the pool, it is more of a cooling off area in a very serene, chic setting. We have added lounge chairs, Quench Pool Bar and cabanas since your visit. I look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for choosing to B Our Guest.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

We truly enjoyed our stay and contrary to previous reviews, we had an absolsutely gorgeous view from our 7th floor room. While it's true the rooms don't have coffee makers, microwaves or refridgerators, there is complementary coffee downstairs as well as a nicely appointed bistro with a good selection of offerings. What truly appealed to me was how clean everything was, exceptional customer service, fantastic location and the spa-like atmosphere. This hotel is very contemporary and offered Aveda bath products, a spacious closet and a plush, VERY comfortable bed. Also, it's close enough to everything that we could walk to most anything we wanted. In fact, we stayed 2 days and didn't get back into our car until we left. Because public parking in this area is limited, you have the beach almost to yourself. Again, our view was breathtaking and the staff ultimately accomodating. Do note, as with almost every place in the area, there is a nightly charge for parking that is a bit steep at $25 per night. I really couldn't ask for more....well, except coffee in the room.

Room Tip: Fankie and Vinnie's Pizza Shack is a very short walk, fantastic italian food. Just slightly furt...
1  Thank tgmace
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My wife and I have just returned from our incredible 9 night stay at the B Ocean, and I felt compelled to let you know how much we enjoyed our stay.

Staying at a new hotel for the first time is always a worry, but from moment we when walked into the B Ocean lobby we knew we had made the right decision.

The staff have such energy and enthusiasm to please. They made us feel very special.

The room was fantastic and what a view.

The Sushi bar, this was for us an unforgettable night, as for the first time I ate Sushi. This was a turning point in my life, as I’m such a fussy eater but the barman and Sushi chief were so attentive and friendly, that I felt compelled to try the dish they had created for my wife, wow I was hooked (sorry, no pun intended) and yet again we were made to feel very special.

Breakfast, I feel like I’m starting to repeat myself now, but the food was great, the view, the cleanliness, takeaway coffee’s and the staff were lovely.

The pool and bar, we loved it, I can see it would get busy come high season, but when the beach is so close who cares.

If you want to eat out there are local bars and restaurants close by, Saw Grass mills is 30 -40 mins by car, a must see is Bonnet house.

I'm amazed at some of the poor reviews, No coffee machine,(take away coffees in the Bistro) no fridge (who wants a fridge buzzing away in there room all night, not me, thats for sure) Kids playing in the pool ? (thats what kids do). These poeple will never be happy what ever there doing in life.

I have no doubt the B Ocean is going to be up there with the biggest names in the industry.

I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views due to the shape of the hotel. I dont think there is a bad room in the hote...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The website is amazing. The reviews were so complementary. Except for the ocean which is only visible from the 10th floor we were eventually given after making an complaints to Expedia and to managers and eventually the supervisor we were finally allowed to leave one of the 3 worst rooms of the hotel as snickered by the abusive staff. The small pool was filthy; children were left by their parents and screamed for hours without supervision; thumping techno music pounded incessantly for no apparent comfort or pleasure;bar service was conducted in an area that had no ventilation so customers and the help sweated while getting refreshments. No coffee unless you asked in the restaurant that served sub-level food. When a party began at 8pm in the penthouse above us and continued until 2am we were informed it was our fault for not asking if there were any events in the hotel that would prohibit our sleep. Every August we try a different Ft Lauderdale hotel and rely on the reviews of people and the trip adviser. I am disappointed that this was rated so highly. Could not even get to the beach and relax on chairs and with umbrellas easily. Everything was a hassle to the staff. The only pleasant staff were the valet service for our car. They were courteous and very personable.

Room Tip: Don't, no rooms have adequate protection from the noise and the rude staff.
16  Thank Elena K
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear Ms K,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us. I am very sorry that you were disturbed by noise during your visit and that your original room did not have a fantastic view. I can assure you that there are very few rooms, approximately 4, in this hotel that have partial ocean views and that the view from the lobby up to the Penthouse is equally fantastic. I am truly sorry you did not have a memorable experience with us and hope you choose to give us another chance to show you our best. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay and can be reached at (954)564-1000.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Ok you walk in it's a wow, and ok you go to your room and you say wow, You have have a room with a picture view of the ocean, and That's it no more no less, no coffee pot , no refig, no mic,
was very unhappy never go back again, you get more from the comfort Inn, no lie,

13  Thank lori s

Dear lori s,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to read that your view was as advertised and that you were wowed by our stylish design upon arrival. It is true that this hotel does not have full kitchens in our rooms but we do offer complementary freshly brewed premium coffee, complimentary wireless internet and the best view on the beach. I am confident our service team made you feel welcome and that the value you received for your room was excellent. My team and I are very sorry that you did not have a great experience with us. I wish you safe travels and hope you come back in the future.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at the B Ocean for 6 nights. At our arrival we were greeted by 3 people, all with smiles and attentive. We were upgraded to a room with windows from floor to ceiling Wow the view. The rooms were clean but not spotless (cleaning lady did not see spots on the walls). Beds comfortable and rooms nicely decorated, splendid view. Convenient location, buses in front of the hotel, as well as the Sun trolley, that would take you along the strip. Lots of really good restaurant options within walking distance. We had lunch on the first day at the Bistro, not impressed, my daughter had a hamburger and the bread was soggy.Though we had diner at Saia and that was amazing, service, presentation, food Wow. Would I recommend this hotel - yes.

Room Tip: Higher floors in the middle section have a nicer view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends