“B Ocean is B-eautiful!”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I think the “B” in B Ocean must stand for Beautiful, because that’s just what my first impression was when I walked into the lobby. It was beautiful! The walls in the lobby are designed to look like waves and the lighting changes the color of the “waves”. Very cool! And I loved the smell of the lobby. I don’t know what that smell is, but it was clean and fresh. The rooms are done in white and beige, which is very contemporary looking. And there is even a surprise “guest” waiting for you in your room.
The pool and pool bar are very classy too. Excellent Mojitos! There are three shaded cabanas you can lie in if you’ve had too much sun. And I loved the bamboo and other landscaping around the infinity edge pool.
The restaurants in the hotel are excellent, which is good because it’s a hike to other restaurants and bars. The hotel sits between two large protected properties, so you have to walk about a mile to where the “action” is – Hooters, Fat Tuesdays, Da Big Kahuna’s, etc. It would be nice if the hotel offered a shuttle service to this area.
The staff was great too, especially Tommy, the housekeeping manager. He happened to be on our floor as we were going to our room for the first time, and I have to say he was the friendliest staff person we encountered during our stay. It’s too bad B Ocean doesn’t have a concierge, because Tommy would be EXCELLENT in that position. He told us about sites to see, places to go, things to do, etc. By the time we left, we felt like we had a new friend in Ft. Lauderdale. If you ever stay at B Ocean, be sure to look him up – he’s very helpful and he’s a great guy.
If we’re ever in the Ft. Lauderdale area again, we will definitely stay at B Ocean.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 12th floor in a corner room and the view was GORGEOUS!! There were floor to ceilin...
Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bobbi G
There are newer reviews for Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel before a cruise. Hotel was fresh clean a very good 4 star. Staff friendly and very helpful.Rooms are lovely clean white and bright with lovely sea view. Bed very comfy and crispy fresh sheets and plush pillows. Nice location very near good shopping and restaurants, local store near by with a few nice bars directly behind. 10 minute walk to the Galleria shopping centre. Approx 25 minute drive to Saw Grass mills.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room. Internet not strong enough for download but fine for emails
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shivs001
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Nice Hotel with all rooms facing the Ocean. Various restaurants/pubs in walking distance. The hotel food was good but of course expensive. The look of the hotel is very modern and clean. The pool, is very small, but that was a nonfactor because the beach was beautiful and just across the street. The bed were fairly comfy, however the room walls were paper thin and you could hear a lot of breakthrough sound.

When I was there, a wedding was taking place that invaded the pool area, so I felt awkward staying around even though I was told it was fine for me to stay around.
Overall a good stay I would go back again for a trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DKM13
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here with another couple (friends and neighbors) the weekend after Thanksgiving (2011). I made the reservations and prepaid for both rooms online through Hotels.com. When we arrived, they only had one room reserved. Fortunately we had printed copies of our receipts and they were able to come up with a room for the other couple. Because we had booked the so-called deluxe rooms, they were at opposite ends of the hotels because these rooms only exist on the ends of the building. Our room was on the north end on the 7th floor, and it was fine. It had a good view of the ocean but an even better view of the very busy street that ran along the side of the hotel. We also had a view out the back of the sleazy tattoo parlors and bars behind the hotel. Our friend's room was on the 3rd floor and was a mirror image of ours. It was at the south end of the hotel and had a fabulous view of a tree and the air conditioning unit of the building next door. Wonderful!

I called Hotels.com and complained, and they managed to get our friends another room, but it was smaller and was on the 4th floor. The view was slightly improved, but it wasn't great. This hotel is a remodeled Holiday Inn of days gone by. Although the furnishings were upgraded and very contemporary, the bathrooms were of the old variety and barely had enough room to turnaround in.

On our first night, which was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we began to hear a loud drumbeat that started about 10:00 PM. I thought that it was coming from one of the bars behind the hotel, but after calling the front desk to complain, I found out that it was a wedding party on the 12th floor – this is 5 floors above us, but the noise was so loud that the windows were actually rattling in their frames. The front desk clerk told me that the party was supposed to end at 11 PM. The party may have ended, but the noise continued until 2:00 AM and the hotel said there was nothing they could do about it because the people had rented the penthouse. Fortunately, the party people moved out on Sunday so the next night was much quieter. Probably a good thing because I would have slit my wrists or strangled the front desk clerk. The hotel made no apologies nor did they offer any discount on our bill or that of our friends who had to take a lesser room.

We had breakfast the next morning in the lobby coffee shop (bistro), and that was an over-priced farce. It was a mediocre buffet with a poor selection. The room has that modern austere decor that has terrible acoustics. Unfortunately the party-goers from the previous night were also having breakfast and this made it difficult to carry on a conversation.

Parking is valet only and expensive. The only thing remotely good about the hotel is the location in terms of being close to things we wanted to see and do. Not a hotel that I would place on my list of places where I want to stay a second time.

Room Tip: Best tip I can offer is find another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JanBergeron
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stayed at the B Ocean for the week after Christmas. This tends to be a very busy time for hotels in Florida. I received an amazing rate and I expected the hotel to be extremely busy and to receive little to no attention from staff but, I was completely wrong. From the moment I arrived, I knew that I had found my new favorite place in Fort Lauderdale. I generally stay at the W hotel but, I have been disappointed with recent stays so I decided to try the B Ocean instead. Once I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. The pictures on their website don’t do it any justice. The hotel is perfectly located in walking distance to many restaurant options as well as the Galleria mall. I stayed alone in the hotel and I always felt safe. The beds are soooooo comfortable! I slept very well. The bistro restaurant was great for breakfast. They have an amazing buffet. All around, I was extremely impressed by all of the staff and my experience at the hotel. Will definitely be back! Thanks B Ocean! See you soon!

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor. Had an amazing view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Katalinabugz
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Katalinabugz,

Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful comments about B Ocean with the TripAdvisor community. I am very excited to share your feedback with our team and celebrate them for taking such good care of you. I hope you are able to come back and B Our Guest again very soon, please be sure to ask for me upon arrival. Thank you again and I wish you safe and exciting travels.

B Inspiring!

Joel Darr

Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed one night at the B and have slightly mixed reviews. The location is a bit far down from where the excitement of Ocean Blvd is and the hotel is right in front of several tattoo parlors and kind of a shady area. The hotel is nice - not great. Pool is small, rooms are clean and rather large, decor is a bit art deco neon. The front desk staff is not the best. You have to valet park with a 15 minute notice - a bit of a pain. The hotel advertises all ocean view rooms, well our room was on the the side with what I would call a partial view, I would have complained but we weren't there long enough to enjoy the view. The B was good, not great.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank skicrystal
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights so far and have one more to go. We got a really good feel for this hotel. it is really cold today and I don't know what else to do so I thought I would write this. I'll start with the bad since that is more exciting...

BAD: No minifridge or microwave. We like to make our own simple breakfast so we were very disappointed that there was no fridge in a hotel of this price. We resorted to purchasing a $6 styrofoam cooler from 7-11 and ice. Can't open the windows. Air Conditioning is clearly a remnant from before the renovation (if you didn't know, this place was i think a holiday inn back in the day and was actually shut down for a number of years). the a/c would click twice loudly before kicking on, which would basically wake you up every time it cycled on. Since you can't open the windows you had no ambient noise to drown it out either it kind of stunk. I had some free coffee in the morning. I went to refill my cup and they told me I'd have to pay $2.50 to have more since it was 11:05.

GOOD: Modern, trendy rooms. Nice television, nice lamps, relatively clean, big comfy bed. AMAZING view of the ocean (8th floor), nice location to beach since it is right across the street. By the way if people complain that it is not actually ON the beach, then that is not a fair criticism - NONE of the hotels on this entire area of fort lauderdale are on the beach. you have to go further up to lauderdale-by-the-sea to get an actual beach front hotel. Housekeeping staff was really friendly and so were the bellboys. Even when they are in the elevator with you they are pleasant and nice. we didn't use the valet so I can't comment on that. Also you can walk West on Sunrise to find restaurants, a big mall, grocery store, starbucks, etc and it is not a long walk.

BIG PAT ON BACK: Our original room, which we booked thru amex, had a bizarre stench coming from the bathroom. We dealt with it for a night, hoping it would vanish. The next morning it was still there. I called the front desk, they sent a housekeeper up immediately. She was shocked at the smell and then we talked to the front desk again. The manager personally came up and gave us keys to a new room two levels up which was a bit larger. All of this took 15 minutes and it was on NEW YEARS EVE! So we were very impressed, especially after reading some of the negative reviews from september. They handled our situation promptly and professionally.

OVERALL - I think people that are used to ritzy expensive hotels will be a little disappointed in this place, but for those of us that don't own yachts it is pretty decent.

Room Tip: stay above the 5th floor for views above the palm trees
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bluemanity

Dean bluemanity,

My team and I thank you for taking the time out of your cool day to share your feedback with us. I am very happy to read the positive comments about our team, location and facilities. I also appreciate you sharing our opportunities, if I don't know about it, I can't fix it. We did completely renovate all of the hotel include HVAC units, the noise from your room will be addressed (I believe it already has been). Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing to B Our Guest. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

B Inspiring!