“Get a great tan and feel hip doing it!”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Get a great tan and feel hip doing it!”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Love this hotel. It's in a great location right on the ocean in Fort Lauderdale. It's all in white which is a great contrast to the amazing turquoise waters outside your door. Great sense of arrival. Lobby is uber modern. Lots of pretty people running around. Pool feels small'ish but is completely adequate considering the beach is across the street.

We ate at SAIA - sushi place onsite. To die for!!! Amazing. Lillie was our server and was over the top. Had "tiramisushi" for dessert - tiramisu done in sushi rolls and dipped in chocolate. Amazing!

The beds in the rooms are like sleeping on pillows from heaven!

Only downside was the fitness center is tiny!! But - hey - one more reason to go out and run on the beach!!! This place is a must-stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on each end of the hotel have floor to ceiling windows so you can see the ocean as well as up...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Dear diannedavis, thank you for sharing your positive experience and also for your strong ratings. Sonds like you had a wonderful stay with us and that you trully enjoyed our Blissful bed. Our guests rave about it and some have even purchased it for their home!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Hebrew first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed at the B Ocean for the first time in March 2011. (I believe you are able to see my old review as well.) My week-long stay at the hotel was much less than desired. The hotel manager at the time offered a complimentary weekend stay should I return. I decided to take the hotel up on that offer this year. I was pleased that even though the hotel manger from whom I got this comp no longer works there, the hotel still honored it.

I stayed at the B Ocean on Saturday 1/19/13 and Sunday 1/20/13. I arrived Saturday afternoon between 3 and 3:30 pm. They informed me my room was not ready, said they would hold my luggage and call me when it was. I took a walk and returned at about 5 pm to check on the room status, having not received a call. I was tired from traveling and wanted to be in my room. I was checked in. I inquired with the same front desk person what time usual check-in was - it's 4 pm. Only when I inquired about that and told them that I had not received a call about the room not being ready, did they apologize about the delay.

I believe the room style I had was a "stunning king." This is a corner room with floor-to-ceiling windows on one wall and a very large window on the other. I was on the second level, right above the Bistro restaurant. I would recommend asking for a higher level. You get a better view and don't feel so much like people can see right into your room. (I didn't ask for a higher floor because the room was comp'd.)

I'm pretty sure their king bed is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I think this has to do, also, with the linens they use. And of course, bed comfort is highly subjective. Still - it's pretty awesome.

The room has nice storage and mirrors. The luggage rack was broken, but usable (a screw missing, so it was lop-sided). The toilet ran - unless jiggling the lever each time after a flush. It was running when I first came into the room and also after housekeeping. A lamp lightbulb (for reading) was burned out. The thermostat did not work on the second day I was there. When I left for the day, I notified the front desk and by the time I came back, it was fixed.

I noticed the same issue with the front desk staff that I did when I last visited. They are very inconsistent with how they greet people and inform them of the few amenities at the hotel. The guy who checked me in, for instance, told me nothing about the hotel. I was hanging out in the lobby one afternoon and the woman working went into great detail about what was available at the hotel (restaurants, wi-fi, pool, etc). She did this with several guests. (Noted: she checked me out at the end of my stay and was very pleasant. Unfortunately, I do not recall her name.) It would be nice if guests were consistently treated the way she welcomed people.

The valet guys all seemed very friendly and helpful.

Some of the issues I described with the B Ocean are pretty petty indeed. But when you are paying $$$ for a hotel, these things need to be taken into consideration. That said, if I got a good deal on the price (no more than about $200/night), I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Dear baricc, thank you for your comments. I appreciate the feedback on the greeting at the front desk and will use your input in our training to highlight the importance of consistency in our approach. I am glad you took advantage of the opportunity offered last year to return and B Our guest.
New River Gorge, WV
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Got this hotel by bidding on Priceline. Room was very nice – all rooms have ocean view. The hotel does not offer any refrigerators for any rooms (very odd for an upscale hotel!). The door to our room did not always completely close, so make sure to check when you come in or go out (we got back from beach one day and door was NOT closed after cleaning - luckily, nothing was stolen!) I notified the manager of the problem (I see other reviews on here with the same complaint so there must be lots of rooms with this problem.) Also no convenience store inside the hotel for bottled water, things you forget to pack, etc. We found a 7-11 one block from hotel on Sunrise Blvd. where we bought bottled water, individual cereal servings, snacks for the beach. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant SAIA, mostly sushi/Asian and it was delicious and good service. The Bistro had a breakfast buffet and sold individual items (oatmeal $5.50, fruit cup $5), coffee was free. Just walk across the street to the beach. We got beach towels from the pool area. The city rents umbrellas ($20 per day) and chairs ($10 per day). If you are staying for a week, we saw signs at the store next to the hotel saying they rent umbrellas and chairs (probably could save money doing that). This hotel is located north of where I have stayed in the past (beach park/Bubba Gump area). It is about 1.5 mile walk to that area. There is a water taxi stop a few blocks down on Sunset Blvd. Also .5 mile is the mall and we found a new restaurant that we had not eaten in before, Seasons 52, all fresh ingredients, they change menus throughout the year based on veggies in season, entrees under 450 calories, shot glass desserts. It was very good & great service – loved it so much, we went back the next night! There was a wedding at hotel Sat. night, and we assume their band was playing – pretty loud in our room for most of the night. There were always several people at the front desk, but when we asked questions, their accents made it hard to understand them. They were very nice and did print out boarding passes for our return flight.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view, make sure door closes shut completely - if not, request another room!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Jo W, thank you for sharing your comments. Our Engineering team did follow up on the door issue and we appreciate your input as safety is always our no.1 priority. I am happy to read that you had a chance to experience both of our restaurants and glad to know you found the food and service is SAIA to be at par with your expectations.
Reviewed 4 February 2013

First time staying In this hotel so I wasn't sure what to expect. The first impression was great with the valet and front desk staff. They were so nice. Then, of course, the view from the room. Wow, loved it! I don't think there Is a bad view in the hotel. We had the 8 th floor "ocean front captivating room. " The beds were soooooo comfortable (so important when traveling). I loved the bathroom, rain down tiled shower with modern sink and faucet. Lots of room in shower. The outdoor pool area with a bar was very nice and cozy. Can't beat the access to the beach. So close and easy to get to. My only disappointment was no fridge in the room. For a 4 star hotel I thought there would be one. But, we compromised with lots of ice and a bucket. Stuff stayed cold so we were happy!!! The front desk staff helped us with our boarding passes to fly out the next day and we were so impressed with their eagerness to help! We really appreciated that. Well done!! Thank you B Ocean!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank JasonCanada71
Dear JasonCanada71, thank you for your great feedback. It's great to hear that our staff took good care of you during your visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We spent 4 nights at BOcean in mid-January. I strongly recommend the hotel. The lobby is chic and modern. The pool area and restaurant (B'stro) are very nice. All of the staff was attentive, friendly and helpful, none more so than Sonya at the desk who had everything ready for us and early checkout. Unfortunately, I do not remember his name, but the young dark haired waiter at B'stro was terrific as well. The rooms are very nice -- clean and modern. They are not huge, however. Our room had two double beds - a bit smaller than most hotel rooms these days which generally have queen sized beds. The beds were very comfortable, however. We were on the 11th floor (upgraded by staff) and the views of the ocean were spectacular. The area right behind the hotel appeared to be from Fort Lauderdale's Spring Break past, but it was very safe and the location in general lwas quite convenient.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scruffletones
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear Scruffletones, thank you for your business and for your strong recommendation. I do appreciate your comment regarding the convenience of our location!
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 31 January 2013

When we arrived at the B Ocean hotel, my buddy and I were immediately impressed by the plush appearance of the outside of the hotel and the lobby. Everything had the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami "look and feel" that we were hoping for. When we got to the room, we were still pleased, but not wowed. It was quickly clear based on the size of the room and the very small, simple bathroom, that this is an older hotel that has undergone a complete renovation. While they did an excellent job with what they had, there is only so much that can be done with small rooms/bathrooms.

The bedding, furniture, and TV were all top-notch and very comfortable, and really size was the only complaint. The only problem that we had with our room was the amount of difficulty that we had in getting it cleaned each day. We went the first 2 days without having the room cleaned and the linens changed/beds made (despite multiple requests). This is not acceptable at a Holiday Inn, and is especially not acceptable at the rates that we were paying for the room. The front desk apologized and comped us a breakfast for our last day there, so at least the effort was there to make things right.

The pool area was pretty festive with an outdoor bar and plenty of room to lounge. The pool itself was nice, but it, too, was very small and reminiscent of the pools from older hotels. The dining area was very nicely decorated, and the breakfast buffet was very solid.

The hotel is walking distance to lots of bars, restaurants, souvenir shopping etc., and we were even able to walk to a rental car place to rent a car to spend the day in South Beach.

Overall, it was a nice hotel, but I would probably look for a "newer" hotel next time I'm vacationing in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean/beach, not facing the perpendicular street with minimal ocean views.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PThrasher
Dear PThrasher, thank you for staying with us and also for your feedback. I want to apologize for the service you received and would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly via our hotel website so I can further research the matter. Thanks again.
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Incredibley nice valet. Very impressed with check in experience despite the reviews. The view is awesome.

But I think they thought about design and the vision function after construction money got tight.

Its midnight. Been up all day and looking forward to a good nights rest. Except I can hear every word of Saturday night live in the room next us. I feel like I'm in the room next door. If I didn't prepay the booking for two more nights on hotwire I'd be out of here.

When you build a new hotel don't skimp on the insulation between the walls. #fail

Ill see if management will accommodate us with a quieter room.

Also the bed sheets don't fit. Your feet touch the actual bed padding. Not sanitary. Unseasoned travelers won't recognize these minor details.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Zer0tolerance
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear Zer0tolerance, thank you for sharing your comments and positive input on our valet, front desk service and awesome views. I am sorry to hear that the noise from the room next door was an incovenience during your stay. Sometimes people tend to listen to TV or music at levels that they are use to at home and it might affect neighboring rooms.