“Fantastic Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fantastic Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

The location of the hotel is great, the beach is just across the street. Staff was by and large excellent. Friendly service at the front desk and at the pool side bar. I was able to get an early check-in by taking a room on a lower floor, and was willing to sacrifice the view to get settled right away.

Room was spacious and comfortable as was the bed. Housekeeping did not clean my room the 2nd day I was there. Front desk apologized but offered no compensation.

Many have mentioned the small pool area, and that is definitely the case. I found that by 2-3 pm, it starts to clear out and becomes more accessable.

I ate at both restaurants and had 2 very different experiences. I had dinner at SAIA and the food and service were very good. Breakfast at the Bistro was a different story. I got there at 9:00 and was seated immediately. I then waited 10 minutes for someone to take my order and bring me coffee and water. I ordered the buffet to save time, and they were out of eggs and it was another 15 minutes before the eggs were re-stocked. Food was average at best.

All in all, I would return here, primarily due to the location and the desk staff.

Room Tip: To beat the crowd at the pool, go out there at breakfast and put a towel and a t-shirt on one of the...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear mphopkins99, thank you for sharing your comments and for staying with us. It's great to hear that our front desk staff took good care of you and was able to provide an early checkin by offering an alternate room. I have shared your note regarding service on the second day, which was obviously an oversight by our housekeeping team. Apologies for this situation and the slow service in B'stro during breakfast. We definitely will focus our efforts in these areas to enhance service levels. Thanks again for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Hebrew first
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Good things - most staff very helpful, Sharon gets an A+! Food and drinks good. Pool crowded but fun. Frustrating things - housekeeping seems disorganized, very slow; same for the front desk; lots of noise from the street; avoid using pay-per-view, you may get a surprise like me with a $39 charge and then the front desk wants to argue with you about it. I'd stay here again but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: As high as you can get
2 Thank VacaBoy
Dear VacaBoy, thank you for sharing your comments. I appreciate the kudos to the team and particularly to Sharon. Apologies for the challenges you experienced with the slow service - we do clean rooms until late afternoon but do adjust cleaning times based on our guests' needs and requests. We will check our pay-per-view system to ensure that it is billing movies properly, as this is not an issue that has been raised so far by our guests. Thank you for your business and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to B Our Guest - our goal is to get an A!
Glasgow, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I am amazed by some of the reviews I have just read - it makes me wonder what some people want!!

We stayed at the B Ocean as part of my 40th birthday holiday. Every room in the hotel has a sea view, the 7 mile beach is literally across the road and the rooms are stunning. We were greeted by pleasant and helpful reception staff and were found a room very quickly despite our arrival at 10 am. The rooms are well equipped and very comfortable and we felt very well looked after. Breakfast can be a la carte or buffet, both are lovely - I strongly recommend the Eggs Benedict! The pool area is compact but we always found a chair and the pool temperature is perfect. We also took advantage of the smashing ice cream parlour just around the corner - lovely! A very smart shopping centre/mall is only a 10 minute walk away and there are a selection of very good restaurants at the mall entrance (including P.F. Changs and Blue Martini).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing, comfortable and enjoyable break at a central, beachfront location. I would certainly return! My thanks to the staff for making my birthday so special.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear combatsmurf, manny thanks for your kind comments. I do appreciate the feedback provided on our facilities, service and location. Glad we made your birthday a special one!
Newtown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Views and location was awesome. Spacious room and comfortable bed! Close to restaurants and walking/running path in front of hotel for morning exercise. We upgraded our room for little extra cost and took advantage of spa services. The pool is small, but never had a problem finding a chair. Pool was very warm.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Michele D, many thanks for your feedback and for staying with us!
great neck
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

The property is clean and rooms have simple lines (Ikea nice, as another rater nailed it) but it is in no way luxurious. We booked this property because of the four star rating. Because of that I dropped the star rating to a 3. It is pretty a minimalist business hotel room with terrible art. There is even a magazine rack mounted on the wall, like in a doctor's office. Staff was nice. Friendly. To their credit the internet was included--a nice touch. It reminded me of a "W" wanna-be. Anything that happens in the corridor might as well be happening in your room..and vice versa! The doors are useless for privacy although we didn't notice any noise coming through the walls.

It is certainly not a four star hotel. Missing so many of the amenities one would expect in a four star property: like a magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Be aware: there is valet only parking @ $25/night (plus tips).

Also, no refrigerators or coffee makers in the rooms. I'm setting aside out the bar upon the arrival and storing my perishables in the frig. And although there is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings that is cold comfort when you would like a cup of coffee or tea before leaving my room while getting ready for the mornings.

I wouldn't bother booking here again unless it was at 3 star prices.

1 Thank tcbphdargon
Dear tcbphdargon, thank you for sharing your comments. We tend to get many accolades for our design and decor throughout the hotel, so it's disappointing to read that you did not enjoy our surroundings. I appreciate your input on amenities and certainly understand what you are accustomed to in your travels. I appreciate your feedback on our staff friendliness and glad you took advantage of our FreeB Wifi throughout the hotel.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I'm giving B Ocean an "Average" review only because my room had such a beautiful ocean view. The room? Hated it. Ever seen mayo on white bread? This is the decor. White on white on white. Taupe floors and couch. Oh yea..throw a couple blue pics and a blue pillow and that's supposed to be the "splash of color". It felt like I was in an institution. Walls were paper thin...could hear my neighbors next door talking as well as the thump, thump, thump of a party on the penthouse 2 floors up. Air conditioning was so loud that it woke me up with a huge THUMP every time it kicked in. Bathroom so small I couldn't unpack my own bath products. No water pressure. I heard this was a Holiday Inn or some other chain hotel before they turned it into this "upscale" hotel. I'm sorry..but there's a saying in the south "like throwing lipstick on a pig". Yup..that's what they did.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Katie s
Dear Katie, thanks for sharing your comments about your stay with us. It's unfortunate that our hotel facilities did not meet your expectations. We are quite proud of our hotel and do receive many kudos for our modern design but at the end, it's a question of personal preference. Thank you for your strong rating on our location, which is certainly very convenient for many of the activities our guests enjoy while being at the beach.
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

To begin with, we booked our room with AMEX and paid a premium to have a Ocean Front Upgraded Room. The highest of the three or four selections available. We arrived to find out that we would not be getting an Ocean Front room and that eventually we received a corner room that partially saw ocean and partially looked down at the roof tops and alley street below. We took picutres with our phone to document the downgraded view. The water in the bathtub was yellow coming out of the faucet and in the toilet. The bathroom itself had black hairs. The walls in this room appear to be thin because we could hear so much noise. To top it off, the maid pounded on the door at 9:00 am to clean our rooms, waking us up. A very poor experience in a revamped hotel that just didn't make the mark. Considering the distance from Las Olas, and the price we paid, along with the numerous deficiencies, the $600 we spent on this hotel would have been better spent at a best western. Perhaps because we normally stay at Marriotts and Hiltons, and had a suite on the Oasis, that we held the hotel to a high standard. However, when you pay for a Ocean Front and get alley and yellow water, that is a expectation from all that is expected to be met.

In dealing with your staff I felt that they were unsympathetic to our plight and the money that was spent. By the time we found the bathroom dirty, the crappy view, and the yellow water, we already tired of dealing with the staff and simply took pictures for documentation on Trip Adviser. The staff argued with me and actually made me login to my computer to prove that I had paid $400 per night for the room, and that reservation from AMEX had a guarantee on the room. I really felt that this was a poor hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. The manager did give us a junior suite (free upgrade) in lieu of the issues. The view and condition of that room is what I have enclosed. Horrible!

Room Tip: If booking this hotel, you need to be above the 5 th floor to see the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelerBE_13
Dear TravellerBE_13, thank you for sharing your comments. I was very disappointed to read your initial survey and contacted you to discuss your experience prior to this post. Since I did not hear back, I want to take this opportunity to address your concerns, because we truly care about providing a great experience to every one of our guests. The reservation we received was for a Captivating room but because we did not have the room available that day, we upgraded your reservation to our B Enhanced Suite with a King bed at no additional cost, despite it being the largest unit we have and one category higher than what was booked. As it relates to the the cost of the room, our records indicate a much lower rate than $600 for a one-night stay, so I recommend that you contact American Express and ensure that you were properly billed for this stay (which is one of the reasons why I attempted several times to connect with you as this was a prepaid reservation). I want to truly apologize for not meeting your expectations despite the efforts put forth to provide you with the bed type that was originally booked.