“Great Location and tips on what's near by”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Gold Coast, Australia
“Great Location and tips on what's near by”
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Fantastic location!
When I was looking for accommodation in Fort Lauderdale, I was looking for one that was nice but also with a close location to everything. This one topped it!
I checked in late and it was real smooth and got upgraded to a higher floor with a nice view. Hotel room was superb, bed was great and was real spacious and roomy. Only negative would be no fridge and no complementary water as I prefer to have cold water. I am not too sure what was with the tap water however it was not clear so I was a bit skeptical with drinking too much.
I did order room service, wrong meal came but it was 1am and I could not have been bothered to complain, was way over priced and was not nice to eat.
I did book a tour with the hotel to then find out in the morning it was not even booked and they tried to find another Everglades tour but didn't have success and then they informed me the initial tour I wanted would only pick up if there was 2 or more people, they were aware it was just myself but I was then told I can still go on the tour but pick up will be at the Sheraton. If I was told this from the beginning opposed to wasting 20 minutes I would have been fine and I said I will meet the tour at the Sheraton. (About a mile from the hotel)
The hotels selection of activities, things to do in Fort Lauderdale are limiting and no brochures were in the room or anywhere in the foyer unless you asked for them.
Overall the stay was nice but I would have preferred a map and a list of what is near by.
Just for others to know what's near by:
7-11 - 5 min walk down Sunrise East
Galleria Mall - 10 min walk down Sunrise East (the mall has Macys, few restaurants etc)
Starbucks - 10 min walk down Sunrise East (opposite Galleria Mall)

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sj4220
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear SJ4220, thanks for sharing your feedback. I am glad you agree with us that our location is perfect as it provides easy access to the beach, shopping and restaurants. There is also a great trolley service that takes you throughout FLL at a nominal fee. We have plenty of maps and information available at the desk and purposely don't clutter our rooms with too much printed material. I did a bit of research and can confirm that our front desk team did contact the tour operator and only received a call back the next day informing us that there was a two-person minimum required for pick up at the hotel. We also contacted other tour operators offering the Everglades tour and they also requried a two-person minimum. I apologize for this incovenience and for incorrect in room dinning order. Thanks again for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Hebrew first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Beautiful spot with ocean views. Hotel is modern and very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful.Had a corner room with two floor to ceiling windows with direct ocean views. Pool area was great ,could use a little update on the plants and furniture but still very nice.Breakfast was not the best .Valet parking was $ 28 per night, expensive but most places in the area charge that. Overall would recommend this hotel 100%

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear 1Vacation87, thanks for your perfect ratings and for your strong recommendation. Our staff members are very focused on providing a great guest experience and it's always rewarding to hear that they took great care of you.
naples
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed one evening with another couple. Hotel was able to accomidate early arrival. Was clean and neat. Toilet ran a bit but did not bother too much. Location was great. Would stay again. Ask for a room on a higher floor better view.

Room Tip: Higher rooms give better view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear highspirted, thanks for sharing your feedback and for selecting to stay with us during your trip to FLL. Being that Naples is not too far away, make sure to come back and visit in 2014!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 20th Anniversary and it was absolutely beautiful. The staff was friendly, helpful, inviting, and went out of their way to help us have the best stay ever. Our room was breathtaking. We enjoyed the beautiful pool, the huge lounge sofas by the pool and the food was delicious. The bartender was great! Highly recommend staying here as a couple or with kids.

Room Tip: Corner Junior Suite had the most incredible full view of the entire beach. South east corner rooms a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Quinton T, thanks for sharing your comments and for selecting us to celebrate such an important milestone in your life. Since you are locals, don't wait another year to come back and B with us. Nothing like a staycation to get some well deserved relaxation!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for four nights in December. Check in/out was a breeze. The hotel itself is very clean and the room was beautiful. The view is breath taking. We were in room 616. The shampoo/conditioner/lotion was nice. No fridge/microwave in the room. Bed is huge and comfy. TV was great. The location of the hotel itself is pretty good. There are restaurants and bars within walking distance although some are a bit of a hike. We don't mind walking so it wasn't an issue for us. The beach is right across the street. The only thing I was surprised at was that the hotel doesn't own a part of the beach. It's public and there's a guy there who you can rent chairs/an umbrella from. I thought it was way too expensive at $12 when I can lie on the sand for free or hang out at the hotel pool. The pool area was small, but fine. We never had an issue getting chairs facing the sun. I swam in the pool which was awesome in December. The pool bar is cute and the chicken wings were very tasty. We didn't eat at the hotel otherwise as it's very very expensive. Breakfast was $14/person for bacon and eggs. Give me a break. There's a few breakfast places in very short walking distance for less than half the price. There is free coffee at the hotel in the morning. They also have a free glass of wine and cheese each night from 5-6 which they don't publicize. The hotel lobby has a strong smell of perfume. I thought it was kind of gross but my husband thought it was nice. To each his own. There's free wifi which is good. Valet is expensive at $28/night.

1 Thank beagle33
Dear beagle33, thanks for sharing your comments. I appreciate your strong ratings, particularly on cleanliness and service. As it pertains to the lobby scent, we do have a particular scent, white tea and thyme, which is well liked by our guests.
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is a nice hotel with a modern feel. The room was a decent size and you couldn't beat the view of the ocean (room 1015). The place was clean enough (may have been some mildew around the edges of the large, modern, walk-in shower or it might have just been a different color grout...places in the shower were re-grouted with a darker grout. Unfortunately, the tile work was cheaply done. In any event, the shower was plenty big so your feet didn't have to come anywhere near the edges). We slept really well. The beds were comfy and it was nice and quiet on our high floor (except when a band was playing an event...but they were done by 11pm)./

While B Ocean appears to be striving to be a little more high-faluting than it is actually able to pull off (some towels were threadbare, some minor repairs needed, the free robes that you need to specially request had seen better days), it is certainly nice enough for an enjoyable stay. We got a good deal on the room and I felt we got far more than our money's worth (we went during a slow week in early Dec.) If I paid over $200, I might have not felt as happy.

Ft. Lauderdale is a busy/noisy place with the boulevard running between the hotels and the ocean, but this hotel is uniquely situated for judy a bit more peace than hotels further south where there's lots of action along the boulevard. B Ocean is wedged in between the Bonnet House and the State Park, so the beachfront in front of those two green places has no commercial development. Even in front of the hotel, there is green space insead of development. You are right at the light, so crossing to get to the beach is easy. There is a station to wash off the sand right at the light. Just to the left (as you face the ocean) is a lifeguard station. Just to the right is a beach chair/umbrella rental. But, you can save money by buying that equipment on the cheap at 7-11 which is about 600' behind the hotel.

If you are looking for convenient action, there are two little streets that wind behind the hotel and they have bars/restaurants/tshirt shops/24-hr pizza parlor/ice cream/ etc. The rooms do not face this commercial area, so you can relax unaware of it if you aren't interested.

The pool area is rather small, but it is nice. Lots of loungers in both sun and shade (though depending on the time of day, you might have to switfch chairs to stay in the sun or shade). I didn't see a hot tub. There is a bar and some tables for dining at the pool and some heaters for nightlife. There are also a few cabanas that appear to be free for guests to use (but that might be because this was such a slow time). The pool was a comfy temperature. I really liked the music at the pool area...mostly seemed like songs from the 70s redone with a modern feel...instrumental. Unfortunately, the street that runs along the side of the hotel is a major east-west route (which makes access to the hotel easy, but creates some noise at the pool area even though there is a wall to create privacy. I did not see a hot tub. I didn't use the fitness area, but it seemed small, yet sufficient. The pool area was closed on a few occasions for private events...that could be problematic if spending time at the pool is important to you.

I did not eat at the hotel. I was told that coffee and tea in the cafe were free to guests (maybe just in the morning...I can't recall).

I didn't use the free wifi, but the front desk person did mention that I could borrow and ipad for free for up to 3 hours...I don't think many people are aware of this. I never did borrow the ipad (making it a real, tech-free beach vacation). There is no frindge or microwave in the room, but I think you might be able to request at least a fridge...you'd have to check on that.

Parking is $28 per day, but that seems pretty standard for the beachfront. The valet service was very quick. We called upon leaving the room and our car was almost always ready when we walked outside.

We didn't use it, but the free trolley goes right by the hotel. The Galleria Mall is a short walk (but over a causeway bridge). The water taxi has a stop behind the Doubletree, which is right on the otherside of the causeway bridge as well. You could really get along quite nicely without a care with plenty in walking distance or within easy reach of the trolley or water taxi. The water taxi is a great way to see the intercoastal waterway and all the gorgeous homes on it -- and to get around. Unfortunately, sometimes some big yachts tie up at the Doubletree and the water taxi can't stop there...so you have to be willing to walk or take the trolley if you get a surprise like that.

There are some seedy characters on the street, but that's the case everywhere along the beach. It seems like the crime is mostly crimes of opporuntiy, though, so if you don't leave stuff visible in your car or leave valuables on the beach, you should be okay.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better views. The rooms at the very end of the halls may not face the beach.
1 Thank Sue K
Dear Sue K, thank you for staying with us and also for your very detailled recap of your visit. I appreciate your strong ratings. You make a great point regarding our location; It is convenient for those who love the beach as well as those who want to shop, everything is within walking distance. The beauty of it is that we are far enough away from the crowded and noisy part of the beach, so our guests can enjoy peace and quiet on the beach.
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the B Ocean hotel for 3 nights now in December and we are wery pleased with the accomodation. We had room 806 with the rektangular window and it was like a 120 inch TV every time you looked out because the wiew was changing all the time..

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Keepitrealman, thanks for your feedback. It's is great to hear that you enjoyed our accomodations and particularly the incredible view from your room.