“Beautiful Hotel with great staff”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #17 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel looks to have been recently renovated and looks beautiful. The hotel is situated right across from the beach on A1A. The room has a giant window that has amazing views of the beach. The beds were extremely comfortable. The staff from top to bottom were extremely attentive and sincere. The negatives: Valet parking at the hotel was $28 a night which can add up pretty quickly. Though we were right across the street from the beach there was not much else in the area. A mile down the strip there are more restaurant options

Room Tip: I read previous reviews and made sure I took a room on the upper floors. Not sure what the lower f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear NewYorkWsm, thank you for sharing your feedback and for the stronf ratings. Glad to hear you enjoyed our amazing views, great bed and more importantly, that our staff was extremely attentive to your needs. Sounds like you had a wonderful time during your visit. Please keep in mind that we have the largest mall near the beach within walking distance on Sunrise Boulevard. There are several bars and restaurants within this area with great outdoor seating.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,943)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is a remodeled Holiday Inn that is right on the beach. You do have to walk a bit to reach the better restaurants, and it is only a 10 minute walk from the Galleria. The rooms are nice, very comfy beds. The food is so-so, Granted I was there for business, so my experience with the food is all buffet style.

The staff is very nice and works hard to accommodate.

Only issue -- if you do check out early and want to leave your bags, check them right at that time, as the front desk staff would not accept any bags once you have checked out. Also, there were no late check outs allowed..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear ontheroad19, thank you for sharing your comments. Apppreciate the high marks on cleanliness and sleep quality. We do our best to accomodate luggage storage and late departures, but it is all predicated on the volume. We have limited storage and must also ensure that arriving guests are not waiting too long for their room. Checkout time is 11am, which is pretty typical on FLL beach. I hope you can come back next time and visit us while on vacation vs business!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

From the moment we entered the lobby we were blown away by the ambiance of B. Room was an ocean view from the 11th floor...Outstanding! Room was extremely comfortable.

Everyone was very pleasant.

This hotel is a ways from the trashy part of the beach but near enough to everything to enjoy.

Free coffee at their Bistro restaurant in morning but you could have a full breakfast.

Their restaurant SAIA was outstanding. The service, view ...not to mention the food! Don't miss it.

Both my husband and I said WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear NancyD, many thanks for sharing your comments and for your perfect ratings. I am delighted that you found our facilities and staff to meet all your expectations. Good to hear that you will B Back... don't wait too long!

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Terrible. We are in town 1 night for business with a bit of personal down time. We only got this place because we used Hotwire and did not PICK this place.

It's a former Holiday Inn - which would be fine, but they act like a 1-2 star vs the 4 they advertise.

The room is small. No bathroom counter space at all.. The toilet runs constantly. We asked for a 1:00 check vs an 11:00 and they say no way. Now... If hotel checkin is 4:00... I seriously doubt they could not accommodate our two hour request to get changed after a business meeting before the airport. But... The lovely guest services said they 'have a bathroom downstairs we could use to change in' . Wow. Thanks.

What really burned me up about this place even more... 'Marvin' walks up to us to take our order after we have to call him over at breakfast. HE DOES NOT SAY A WORD! We order- he walks away. He delivers our food... And I ask 'can I get the toast w that'? He turns around - again doesn't ASK what kind I would like- and returns with RYE - which I hate. Again - the guy does NOT speak to us! So I say 'no, can I get like white, wheat, sourdough, anything else'?
He turns around NOT SAYING A WORD... And returns with plain white toast. When I ask for jelly... He walks way- and returns with marmalade... AGAIN... Does not ASK me what I would LIKE so when I ask for ANYTHING other than marmalade ... AND some katsup... The guy is annoyed with ME!!!
Twenty dollars for a crappy omelette with CRAPIER service is NOT the way I want to start my day!

Here is what I say... ARE YOU LISTENING 'B OCEAN'?
don't hire people to work in your SERVICE INDUSTRY business... Who obviously do not want to work! They all represent who YOU are and I would sleep on the beach outside before I EVER would set foot in your very UNFRIENDLY hotel again!

I would seriously pick anywhere else if you are considering this place. There are a lot of other choices along this street!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kpincastaic

Dear kpincastaic, thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay and my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. I am extremely disappointed with the experience you encountered during your short visit. We have excellent staff in our B'stro restaurant, and many have been recognized by name on this particular site, but that does not excuse the lack of service you received. I hear you loud and clear and will ensure that proper retraining is conducted to avoid such an experience in the future. As it pertains to extending a late departure, as much as we try to accommodate requests, it's not always possible based on our occupancy and the number of arriving guests for that day. Thank you again for your candid feedback. It will be put to good use.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This Hotel was great from start to finish. They helped me plan my engagement to my girlfriend. Lisa went above and beyond to make sure I had everything I needed and more. She helped me have the room set up just how i wanted to pop the question and even put me in a great room with a great view overlooking the ocean. The hotel is also well kept, clean, and very trendy, not to mention it is a great location close to everything. Will forever recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Fort Lauderdale.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Bryson O, thanks for sharing your feedback and for your great recommendation. I am glad our team was able to assist you to prepare for such a special moment in your life. Congratulations!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

A very pleasant hotel in a nice location. The draback is that your room may not be cleaned untill before 1800. It is not easy to plan for dressing for dinner with such late cleaning of the room after a time on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a faster clean up of the room or you romm may not be cleaned until before 1800.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BengtSeb

Dear BengtSeb, thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed our hotel and it's great location. Apologies for the late cleaning of the room. It is difficult sometimes to get into rooms in the AM since many people sleep in. This situation sometimes results in rooms being cleaned in late afternoon.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was on a recent business trip and staying at another hotel about 6 blocks away from B Ocean, and was lost trying to find a CVS for soda and chips as got in late and not had dinner. Out comes Zorahida on staff at B Ocean leaving for the evening. Ask about location and she invites me in and introduces to Pamela a supervisor who gets me a Coke and chips. Realizing that I am now pretty far from my hotel and on foot, Zorahida gives me a ride back to my hotel ! While I did not have pleasure of staying there this time, I will definitely look forward to staying at B Ocean and personally thanking the outstanding staff for kindness showed to me a complete out of towner who took a wrong turn ! Many thanks to Zorahida and Pamela!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam G
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear Sam G, thank you for sharing this great story. In any business, it is ultimately the staff that makes a diflference and you experienced how dedicated and hospitable our team members are with our guests. We are certainly fortunate to have Zorahida and Pamela on our team. We look forward to your next visit to FLL and to B your host!