“EXCELLENT SPOT”

Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ottawa, Ontario
“EXCELLENT SPOT”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Excellent property. I wish I could have stayed longer! Nice white rooms with comfortable beds. Nice view of the ocean and steps away from shops on Sunrise. Great friendly staff and a special thank to Ryan the bellman. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J9257
Lindsay D, Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear sens1992,
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are sorry that you couldn't stay longer as well! We will be sure to pass along your positive comments about Ryan, and hope that we see soon for an extended stay.
Lindsay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Hebrew first
pennsauken
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I will start with the ugly... My husband and I had an early flight and arrived at the hotel at 12pm. We knew check in was not until 4pm. The gentlemen told us to come back closer to 4 and he would call if our room was ready early. Perfect! We came back at 3:30 and Ariel told us our room wasn't ready and probably wouldn't be ready by 4... We were not happy. She told us she isn't sure why the hotel didn't hire more cleaning people. First of all that's not what you tell your guest, and second of all... HIRE MORE CLEANING PEOPLE. She was doing her best to make people happy but the hotel really needs to address this because I watched customer after customer get angry because their room was not ready. I finally got in my room at about 4:45, and waited for bags to be brought up.
The BAD: The rooms don't have a frigde, however you can request one and hope they have enough.
The walls are paper thin. I could hear people talking on the phone or to one another VERY clear.
I woke up several times in the middle of the night by someone closing their door, because it is SO loud. There are snacks in the room but each are $5.00! Are you kidding me? One small bag of gummie bears, $5! Talk about taking advantage of people. The free coffee was disgusting, but free! =)
THE GOOD: Chris at the hotel has exceptional customer service. The rooms really are quite beautiful and clean and I never had a problem with having our room cleaned everyday. The shower was pretty cool and the bathroom was nice and contemporary. We were on the 7th floor and the view was out of this world. The lobby was very cool and the waiting area is quite comfortable. They allow you to check your bags while you are waiting for the room and if your flight is after check out. Ours was at 8pm so we appreciated not having to lug our stuff around all day. They have a bike rental right on the property, and it's $5 for 30 minutes. It was awesome! Oh and the BED WAS THE BEST!!!!!!
This doesn't pertain so much to the hotel.. just some tips!
You don't need a car, if you are okay with a 15 minute walk for certain things. We loved the walk. The area was SO BEAUTIFUL. The mall is like 10 minutes away with lots of great restaurants near by like PF CHANGS, BURGER FI, Seasons 72 and so on. The opposite end is Bubba Gumps, cvs, multiple icean cream places. There is a pizza shop 2 stores away from the hotel that is AMAZING! It's called Primonti's and its open 24 hours and the pizza so good and the prices are sooooo reasonable. My husband and I got breakfast from there like everyday for $13.00!!! You can't beat it! LOVED FORT LAUDERDALE!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank katie82
Dear katie82,
Thank you for your valuable feedback during your recent stay with us. We greatly apologize for the dissatisfaction that you experienced throughout the check-in process and have spoken with both our housekeeping and front desk teams about the issue. We are researching the possibility of adding fridges to the rooms but please know that we do have them available upon request so should you stay with us again, we would be happy to make note of that. We're sorry for the noise issues you encountered, but glad to hear that you enjoyed your bed and waking up to the ocean views. We certainly appreciate the positive comments about Chris and will be sure to relay them.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked 4 days through OTELS.com. Turns out this agent has not paid this hotel, so we had to pay again using our CC. The hotel was very accommodating and honored the reservation rate. We did have to wait for our room (about 90 minutes) but ultimately it all worked out. Great location, but very busy on our weekend. Breakfast was so so, partially under-cooked french toast and hollandaise on eggs benedict was more like lemon sauce. Bartender at pool bar was great. Fast service and cold drinks...what more can you ask. Cab fare to this hotel from FLL is $28. John, one of the PM managers (I think) helped me wade through the booking debacle and even took the time to speak to the booking agent (live from Istambul, Turkey according to VISA).

Room Tip: Ocean view room was nice to wake up to, but the beach is across the street. A1A is busy so get a roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear David S,
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced through your booking, but are glad to hear that John was so helpful to help out and take care of everything. We will be sure to pass along the nice feedback. We're sorry to hear that breakfast was not to your standards and will address this with the Chef. We hope that you will come back and see us (and your pool bartender, Koejie, in particular) on your next visit to Fort Lauderdale.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked a last minute room at the B Ocean and it was great. The location is right in the heart of Fort Lauderdale beach. Very convenient, we took cabs everywhere. The beach is right across the street. Our room wasn't huge, but the windows are huge and the view is all ocean. We had a corner room and the bed was very comfy.
We were in town for a wedding, so it was great. I can imagine it not being the place to go for a quiet beach retreat. There seemed to be an event at the hotel and lots of young people out and about at all hours. A great sushi restaurant. I didn't have time to use the pool but it looked nice although very crowded. I would recommended it for friends on vacation.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have huge windows and views on the ocean side.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SundaeSunday,
We are glad to hear that you had an overall positive experience during your stay, you can't beat the views of the corner rooms, it's like waking up on a cruise ship. We apologize for any noise issues that you encountered, but are glad to hear that the location and convenience of the property was to your liking for the wedding. Please come back and stay with us soon.
boca raton
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We booked the upgraded junior suite with ocean view. Arrived early and confirmed with front counter who told us they had us in "partial ocean view". But she was changing our room to give her a few minutes. 4 hours later I asked about room and we're told our room was ready. Was given a lovely highway view room that you could smell the ocean from. Checked with manager who said he was sorry but they don't guarantee views. This place is a dump to begin with. Don't waste your time and money.

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank ashimmy
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Ashimmy, my apologies if we did not provide the room that you expected. I verified your reservation and it was indeed made for one of our B Enhanced suites. We have 2 of these suites per floor, one facing South/East, and one facing North. Unfortunately, as hard as our team wokred to find one with a South/East facing view, there were none available at the time you arrived. The team continued to monitor any cancellations that came through during the evening but nothing became available. We did honor your reservation but were unable to provide you with the view requested.
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed three nights after cruising and found the location absolutely perfect!
The hotel is cleaned, the staff is very nice, the room is large and you have fantastic windows that gives you a view on the beach.
The bed was very comfortable with great pillows.
Beach is across the street, cheap breakfast and pizza located nearby. Subway popcorn and Ice cream bar, souvenir shops , every store is walking distance.
We treat ourselves to breakfast in their bistro.It was a bit pricy but the coffee was real good. Staff was very polite and professional.
We also tried the restaurant. If you not a sushi fan you think there is nothing on the menu you will like.You actually have no idea what to order and you would be incline to leave,Wrong! After we asked explanation, my husband had Kobe steak that you cut with your fork and I took tempura shrimps in a sauce to die for with rice. It was excellent and I planned to go back and have the same plate as It was really good.
I think they should advertise more this type of food is available at the restaurant in the hotel rooms. If people knew the restaurant would be filled.

Room Tip: Tell them you found the hotel on trip advisor, that their reviews were good and were told to get a h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank retraite10
Dear retraite10, many thanks for your thorough feedback. Looks like you took the opportunity to enjoy many of our facilities and restaurants. Glad you discovered our great menu at SAIA!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I think had I chosen a chain hotel I may have had better luck. The view was terrific but the room definitely was worn out and I had the "stunning" room / room rate. Mold in the shower, stained carpets, dirty walls, etc.

The pool and pool area was tiny - I think the pool in my backyard was bigger. Some of the front desk team was nice (the males were very pleasant and helpful, the females were not so customer friendly nor helpful).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank vickimood
Dear vickimood, my apologies for not meeting your expectations. I am disappointed with the comments pertaining to your room and service at the front desk. We strive to provide a great room with excellent customer service but we obviously fell short during your stay. I did share your feedback with everyone on our team to highlight the importance of providing a great experience.