“Very central and friendly staff”

GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #43 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Great place to stay in the heart of Fort Lauderdale you can take a taxi anywhere would defiantly
stay again when holidaying in the Area we didn't get long enough we found lots of different restaurants serving great food reasonably priced around the area and if you feel like shopping there is a brilliant shopping Centre which catches your eyes from the hotel

Room Tip: All the rooms offer great facilities
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,861)

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This was the fourth time we stayed at the Doubletree. The location is unbeatable -- next to Galleria Mall, the waterway, across the street from Publix, and a 5-minute pleasant walk from the beach. The suites with kitchens are very clean, airy and bright. The front desk staff is very responsive, helpful, and polite. Mr. Johannes at the front desk should be commended for his professionalism and prompt customer service.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DKabroad
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This is my fourth visit to this property; every year in the first week of January I attend a conference here. Now that I have become a 'reviewer' I though I should offer my thoughts.

First off, the staff tries very hard. I was asked frequently how everything was. I was almost hovered over as I ate my breakfast. These people are nice!

But everything at the property is worn and tired. And little things are awry. I asked for eggs over easy and got eggs over hard. My room service french fries were cold, and the burger was way over cooked and dry. The coffee service in the room had cream but no sugar anywhere.

The carpets are worn, the furniture grungy, and the art dull. The property is in need of a serious makeover, and given the price ($185 a night) it was sort of alarmingly mediocre.

I should add that the noise from the bridge next to the property is alarming - whenever a truck goes over the bridge it sounds like a sudden hurricane gust. I was constantly looking up at the windows, and then realizing that it was just the bridge grating under stress. I was on the third floor for my room, and the second for my meetings - maybe it is better on the higher floors.

Lastly, my balcony. It had two chairs. Grungy chairs that looked like they had been bought 15 years go, and were;t very comfortable then. This was sort of the theme - uncomfortable and elderly furniture. Poor aesthetic choices. Badly prepared food, served with a smile.

Oh - and the AC stopped working during the night and once during the day. As though it was on a weird energy saving timer system?

But - nice people!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank recklessweimie
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We loved the location of the Gallery One. it is on the waterway with stop #nine. Front desk helped us order a van to the port after our one night stay.
The hotel was bright and modern, loved the two room suite. We had a room on the 11th floor with balcony with a sea view.
The front desk folks were friendly and answered all our questions about where to eat, had water taxi schedules etc.
Friendly staff in the cafe, Starbuck coffee area. Enjoyed breakfast buffet with wide variety of food.
Loved the outdoor terrace.
If all the doubletree suite hotels are like this I would stay in them whenever I can.

Room Tip: eleventh floor had side view of ocean and downtown from our balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The Gallery ONE is in a wonderful location, overlooking the inter-coastal waterway. Both the pool and outside patio area also overlook the waterway. The staff was friendly, and accommodating. The suites are spacious, and feature a separate kitchen, living, and sleeping area. The shower is amazing.

The hotel is close to the Galleria, with nice restaurants and shopping two blocks inland. We also enjoyed the close proximity to Publix (across the street from the Galleria.)

Breakfast in the restaurant is plentiful, and made to order. There is also a breakfast buffet option. We loved having breakfast overlooking the water, while watching the boats line up for the Holiday boat parade.

We got a great deal on this property through lastminutetravel dot com. Our only complaints are that (a) the only parking is valet, and $20-something dollars a day but we knew this when we booked; and (b) we were "upgraded" to a water view room overlooking the drawbridge. The drawbridge opens regularly, so it was a bit noisy at night.

Room Tip: Water view "upgrades" are noisier.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sabbles
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Close to the beach, reasonable price, friendly staff, great rooms. Best thing about the hotel was the room size. It felt more like an apartment than a hotel room. Worst things: $24 per night for mandatory valet parking. Valet parking got backed up and took a while to receive our car. Hallways in hotel were a bit run down. Scuff marks on doors and walls. One door near our room on the 8th floor looked like it had been beaten down. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Erica J
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Just returned from an excellent stay. So much to say...
Location. It's 5 miles north from the FTL airport and directly next door to the popular Galleria Mall. The hotel is positioned just by a drawbridge on the Intercoastal waterway, which means you have to walk over the bridge and 2 short blocks to technically dip your toes into the ocean. On the way to the beach there is a Mexican, Thai and two Italian restaurants as well as two lively pubs and an ice cream parlor. It's not South Beach but it's not dead either.The beach is pristine and family-friendly.

On the other side of the hotel is the mall and a Publix supermarket and CVS drugstore. That said, I don't know why previous posts were so concerned about the breakfast. It's an all-suite hotel so everyone has a kitchen and we enjoyed our delicious eggs and pancakes that we cooked for ourselves. Note - there is no oven and we did have to buy our own frying pan across the street for $6.00 in Publix.

The pool is nice as a previous post noted, by 'heated' they mean 'by the sun.' There is a nice warm hot-tub and also a small, man-made beach area for sunbathing. No pool-drink servicem but the outdoor bar is just a few steps from the pool.

Our room had a spectacular view of the waterway, the ocean and the city - (high floor, facing south with balcony). The room was so wonderful I could easily say there was no reason to leave. Of course the action of South Beach and the restaurants of Las Olas were compelling, but the Gallery One really has everything.

The Gallery One is stop #9 for the water taxi. if you're not in a hurry to get somewhere, this is a great way to see the waterway sights and they leave frequently right from the pool entranceway. I felt extremely safe both inside and outside (walking to the ice cream parlor or mall) at night. The staff provides superior service....it's really hard to think of any cons.

The mandatory valet parking is definitely a downer. It's $25 a night and if you go in and out during the day, you can spend a fortune in tips. Here again, the valet staff is so friendly, you do not was to begrudge their tips.

Internet is also costly and there is a $25 per hour fee for checking out after noon. So...there are some costs here.

I had some time to kill before the airport and ended up at the completely other end of Ft Lauderdale beach where I eyed the Sheraton Beach because it is 'on' the beach. I was tempted for my next stay, however after reading the reviews about unclean, small and dated rooms, I took my Gallery One review from very good to excellent.

Beds were wonderful - pillows sent you into an immediate dream state and the rainshower was wonderful.

I would definitely go back again. It's great for every generation.

Room Tip: Face south, high floor. Do not do low floor facing north because of the drawbridge noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family