GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Bolton
“great rooms”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for one night, unexpectedly, when the chaos hit Atlanta airport.
Our room was great - a small kitchen, siting area, dining table, tv in sitting area and bedroom, and a roomy bathroom with a huge shower.As it was an unexpected additional night in the usa, we wanted to do some washing, and the launderette facilities were very good, with complimentary washing powder , and a small charge for the washing machines.The bar staff were very friendly, and there's a great view out of the back of the hotel of the waterway while you are sipping your drinks - and the water taxi stops here too. We had lunch here, which was ok ? service was a bit slow.We had breakfast across the road at Starbucks, and there a shopping mall almost next door.I would definitely stay here again - but I would miss the sea views other hotels offer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Turkish first
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed just one night between cruises and it was a nice location to visit the beach and do some shopping before we headed off again.

What we liked:-

Efficient check in (11am) by a friendly guy who called us on our mobile phone at 1pm to let us know the room was ready.
Friendly and efficient luggage porters.
Finding ourselves with a water/sea view even though we weren’t expecting it.
Having a room on the 12th floor with a great view.
Plenty of space in the studio apartment with very comfortable bed – would have liked to stay longer than 1 night.
Nice bathroom with large shower.
Good breakfast with friendly service in the restaurant.
Being only minutes’ walk in either direction from the beach and the Galleria Mall / Publix.

What we didn’t like:-

Being given our key by a different person when we returned to the hotel who never smiled once, hardly looked as us, told us nothing and seemed generally dazed. We later discovered she should have given us breakfast vouchers too. A complete contrast to our initial experience of the front desk.
Noisy living room as the balcony sliding doors did not close fully and had to be left slightly ajar in order for the locking bar to fit.
Great view but the opening metal bridge below over the intracoastal waterway was very noisy with all the traffic crossing.
Glasses in the kitchen cupboards were dirty – one even had lipstick still on it – we washed everything before using it.
Wall-mounted TV was at such an angle, due to the shape of the room and position of the sofa, that it was very difficult to watch.
A large showerhead which would not stay at the set angle, so showering was a disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I regret we paid extra for a water view, and actually requested a higher floor. The water from our balcony was only visible when standing, making the price difference NOT worth it. The hotel definitely had some 'wear'. We did the 'pre-cruise' package which included the same breakfast our friends got for free, however we did upgrade which WAS worth the cost. The restaurant was quite good and the overall service in the hotel was GREAT. The front desk clerk however, was definitely lacking in the friendliness of the rest of the staff (even the 2 maids we encountered were more welcoming). I give high compliments to the maids, the bartender outside, and the breakfast staff. The rest of the place left little to be desired. Also, we regret staying on the side of the drawbridge which made CONSTANT noise, making it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Washington, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The property has a very good location and is very comfortable. Guests should know that this DoubleTree is a condo owner property in which each guest room has an owner, and therefore there is a locked closet with the owner's property. During my visit, I was forced to change rooms because the owner of my initial room was arriving during my stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

toronto
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here 6 times during January and February between cruises and enjoyed each stay.
My thanks to Receptionist Ann Marie for remembering my name and doing such a great job.
Hotel is close to the beach and Publix and the Mall.
Take the water taxi
Andrew

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Nice hotel, simple, located close to a shopping mall, super market, convenience store and to the beach. Diner and breakfast are good. Reception very helpful and efficient. They have a full kitchen that can lower the cost of your stay. Internet is ok.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed one night post cruise at the Gallery One on Feb. 16th. Our stay at this hotel was a pretty mixed bag, some good some bad.

The good:

The hotel is in a great location, right on the water, perfect for watching the beautiful boats go by. There is also a water taxi stop right on the grounds which was so convenient. The hotel is not huge but the lobby and grounds are beautiful and kept up very well. There is a nice little pool and a small sandy “beach” where you can lay out. The outdoor patio is very nice as well.

We enjoyed a delicious buffet breakfast in the restaurant although it was very expensive. The front desk was nice enough to let us access the free wifi while we waited since it would still be a couple hours before we could check in.

When we finally went up to our room we were floored by how wonderful it was. It was a beautiful suite with a mini kitchen and a lovely balcony overlooking the water. I had booked a basic city view room so this was definitely an upgrade we were not expecting (which would end up not being so wonderful)

The bad:

While the room was wonderful I went into the bathroom and noticed a big red spill stain on the floor. I thought it was just a stain and rubbed my foot on it and noticed that the stain came off on my foot..yuck. It was gross but not a huge deal, I put a towel down over it and moved on. The room was also pretty dusty so that is obviously not something they do daily with a normal cleaning. When my husband turned down the bed to take a nap he found three Hershey kiss wrappers in the sheets and was worried that the sheets were not changed. He decided to call down to the front desk to see if we could just get the sheets changed. We were told no one had time to do that for us and we would have to change rooms instead but that it would be a comparable room. Fine if it meant that we were sure the room was clean.

The room we were moved to was nothing like the first room, not great at all. W went from a very high floor to the 4th floor. The balcony had two beer cans left on it and was very dirty. We also had a raised highway level with our window that was so noisy all day and night. I kept the curtains shut so we wouldn’t have to look at that disgusting balcony and could drown out some of the traffic noise. How they consider this a water view room I have no idea. This new room was also very dusty but the bathroom and bed seemed clean, unfortunately there was also a faint hint of cigarette smoke. I actually ended up wiping off the tables and end tables due to all the dust. More attention needs to be taken in cleaning the rooms.

There was one thing about the stay that really infuriated me. When I checked out I looked at the receipt and noticed the rate they charged me was much higher than what I booked online. I showed my confirmation to the person checking me out and she told me that I was in a balcony water front room and it cost more than the basic. 1. I didn’t book this type of room per my reservation confirmation 2. How can they not tell you at check in that you are being upgraded and there is a cost for it. Shouldn’t I get to choose if I want to pay more for a better room. Bad business, shady! I didn’t have time to argue with her as we had a flight to catch but I am still burning about this especially after we had to change rooms and the second room was in NO WAY comparable to the first one. So disappointing.

Great Staff:

While our stay was not the best some of the staff at this hotel are really wonderful. During the annoying room change I accidentally left my hair dryer and a hair straightener in the bathroom of the first room. I went down to the front desk to see if they had been turned in by housekeeping and the girl at the front desk helped me track them down. She called around trying to see who serviced the room and to the housekeeping manager but no luck finding anything. I went back to the room and would check later but about 25 minutes she was at the door and with my stuff in hand. She said that she found out who cleaned the room and they ended up calling her at home since she had already left. She had found my things and bagged them up and personally walked them up to me, she did not have to do that!

Later that night I went down to see the valet because we needed a taxi to pick us up at 4am to head the airport. They took down my name and room number and said that one would be waiting for us, I wasn’t feeling very confident about it though. We got down at a few minutes before 4am and Chris the night valet had a van waiting for us and loaded everything up and we were on our way. After checking in at the airport my husband realized he left his laptop case in the taxi. Besides a brand new very expensive laptop and his iPad he also more importantly had some paperwork and other things he needed for work that he HAD to have. He was in a total panic and quickly called the taxi company. He was on hold for 15 minutes and they told him they had no idea who picked us up and unless it was turned in couldn’t help us. While he was on the phone I thought I would just call the hotel and see if Chris had any idea who our taxi driver was. Chris was WONDERFUL! He told me not to worry that this happens all the time and he actually knew the taxi driver and had his personal cell phone number. He told me he always keeps that information in case something like this happens. Chris called the driver while still on the phone with me and arranged for him to come back to the airport and meet us. Within about 25 minutes we had the laptop case in hand and were in plenty of time to catch our flight. I cannot say enough about how exceptional it is that Chris pays attention to these details for the guests at the hotel. He truly went above and beyond for us and I hope the management knows what a wonderful asset he is to their business. Thank you Chris!! The help from him really makes up for any of the issues we had with our stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room near the overpass/bridge, it is very noisy, especially on a lower floor.