“Genuinely friendly staff”

Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Genuinely friendly staff”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a relatively standard hotel in terms of rooms, bar, restaurant, pool etc - I was on a business trip. The location is great, and the staff were really friendly and genuine - everyone from the cleaners and porters, through to the receptionists and waiters. This really made a difference - as I often find the staff in hotel chains to be indifferent at best!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

GALLERYone D, Director of F&B/Operations at GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear VH73,

Thank you for posting such a great review. I am very pleased to hear about your experience with us! It appears that our entire team took good care of you on this special trip. We look forward to your return.

Tiffany S Davis
Director of F&B/Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Never received our welcome gift from bride & groom. Dinning service was slow and expensive. Food was sparce, service took over 1 hour to receive after ordering. The lobby was used for a Audi reception. Very noisy when we were trying to eat.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

GALLERYone D, Guest Relations Manager at GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear 175teresav,

Thank you for your straight forward feedback about your recent stay at GALLERYone DoubleTree by Hilton. We’re sorry you did not receive your welcome gift bag. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the concerns you mentioned. We try to make each guest’s experience a great one at DoubleTree by Hilton and your satisfaction is important to us. I apologize that you encountered challenges while dining at our restaurant. We were hosting the ARTOPIA event at the hotel that day and the lobby and restaurant area were very busy with an influx of attendees and guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity to make your stay the best it can be.

NYC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We’ve stayed at the Gallery One a few times and I posted a review about it 2-years ago and one on the Hilton last year, but this was probably the best trip we’ve had to date. We went from a cruise to the Hilton Beach Resort to the Gallery One, and after waiting about 40-minutes, our room was ready at about 1:30 pm. They said they would call us, but we stopped at the desk and were able to pick up our keys early. It was fine to wait in the lobby although internet wasn’t offered free. I rated the hotel a 3 because of lack of cleanliness in the common areas. They are trying and respond when called, but details are everything.

ROOM AND SERVICE: The first point I will mention is don’t go by the negative reviews. For some reason we seem to be shifting from a society that calls the front desk to have them fix any issues to one that just complains about them online. It’s best to give management time to fix whatever it is. That’s what they’re there for. I noticed like some travelers, that the halls weren’t cleaned and after two days of seeing the same used q-tip in the foyer and noticing a lot of debris from what looked like construction, I called the front desk. Before I could take a picture of the debris, I heard someone vacuuming the hallway. They were there in less than 10 minutes. Also, our phone wasn’t working properly and about 10-minutes later, a man came to replace it. So, while I understand that these are things that could be noted online, maybe check to see how a phone call to the desk is treated and if staff is timely. I was pleasantly surprised.

BARGAINS: Movies on the TV are expensive, $16.99-17.99, but they have a few recent movies for $4.99 also, along with HBO, the Food Network and HGTV. The food is extremely expensive based on the room service menu. I love reviewers from people using corporate accounts who don’t have to pay out of pocket for anything, but as I am paying with my hard earned cash, here are a few tips that might be useful. Apologies if they are redundant from other posts listing the same thing: Publix Grocery Store is across the street on Sunrise. Macy’s moved just further down the Galleria, as did CVS which used to be adjacent to Publix. Great deals at all. For example, lobster tails at Publix were $4.99 each midweek, compared to the $38 special at a local lobster place. Starbucks is still in the lobby, $2.65/cup of coffee, same price for refills, but free USA Today and WSJ. Internet is $10 a day, not sure why they are still charging a surcharge, but you can use multiple devices although you may have to log in again. We were told to go to the front desk to have any extra charges taken off our bill.

GETTING AROUND: The cheapest bus is the yellow trolley which costs $1. The bus is $1.75 and they don’t offer transfers, but you can take the #40 or #11 to the terminal for adjacent busses all over, but please be safe. The bus terminal is in a very bad neighborhood. One day we went to the Coral Ridge Mall which has a Marshalls, TJMaxx, Target, movie theatre, post office and other stores. It's on a bus route as well and you can take the return bus to the terminal and pick up the 40 or 11 back to the A1A. Another good tip that came in handy, a guest in our group wanted to go to the Hard Rock Casino. The Hilton they told us this would be $50-60 by cab, and we tried to map it out on the bus, but it would have been 1.5 hours just to get there. We found a great shuttle service, Ace Transport, on the Hardrock website, that charged $25 total one way for two people. You can do $50 roundtrip for two people, but their last pick up time from the Hard Rock to your hotel is like at 11pm? We did one way and took a cab back. We tried to negotiate with the driver to charge us a flat rate of $35 back to the hotel, but the fare only came out to $29. Maybe because it was past midnight and there was no traffic. If there’s a lot of traffic, maybe try to get a flat rate. It was worth it. Hard Rock had comedy clubs, concert venues, Ben and Jerry’s, Johnny Rockets and a lot of little shops.

CVS: If you go to CVS, (I went to the one next to the Ritz on A1A), you can buy your beach gear there. I brought snorkeling gear from home, but CVS sells the same thing, goggles, mouth pieces, beach chairs, mats, etc., and the prices were reasonable. I bought flat mats for the beach, $3 each, small beach chairs, $14.99 each, a 6-foot umbrella $10, and various sun tan lotions. They also have towels, hats, flip flops, dresses for $19.99 – or $9 in the dress shop adjacent to CVS), t-shirts for $9.99, etc. The best investment we made was to spend $3.99 on an inflatable beach tire as we took it deflated to the beach and inflated it everyday. It was a treat to float on the water and really just relax.

THE BEACH: One thing I would recommend would be to walk further down the beach (A1A) to set up/lay out if you’re going in the water. When you leave the Gallery One and head over the bridge, it’s a two block walk to the beach on Sunrise, past the Mexican restaurant, Hot Scooter bike and motor bike rental, 7-Eleven and new Sonesta Hotel. The water there is very choppy and walking out only a few feet, you will be waist deep in water with a lot of kelp all around you, but the sand underfoot is clear for the most part. Because we stayed earlier at the Hilton BR, we know that the water is more shallow there. You can walk about 10-12 feet out and hit a sand bar with small to minimal waves. Just look at people in the water walking to determine how deep it is and if you are comfortable with that. I wouldn’t have set up in front of the Sonesta if I had known the water would be that deep and choppy.

BIKE RENTALS: We rented bikes from Hot Scooter next to the 7-Eleven on Sunrise Blvd. They charge $8 an hour, $16 for two hours and $27 for 24-hours. We had to leave a $100 deposit, but that was fine. They gave us a free lock and when we returned our bikes no one was there, but we called and they said to just chain them to the gate/railing. There’s a car rental place next door and camera overhead, so they were safe and it was during the day when we returned them. They also have a separate bike rental called B-rentals which I am sure may have been cheaper with a smaller deposit? Not sure though. We found one on the A1A as we were leaving the bike place and heading near the Bonnet House. I would have preferred these because they had baskets and I believe, hand brakes. The bikes from Hot Scooter had the old fashioned brake where you pedal in reverse and one of the guests in our party fell into traffic which, thank God, stopped for her!

WATER TAXIS: The water taxi at $22, but we found a deal on Groupon that was 2 adults for the price of one, all day, hop on and off. That was such a great bargain at $11 a piece. We overheard a family of 4 paying a whopping $88, but I believe they got $4 off. I liked our deal better. When you take the water taxi, keep in mind that it crawls at times. If you go left on the boat leaving the Gallery One which is stop #9, there are only 3 additional stops, (10, 11 and 12), which consist of a lot of mansions and a nice restaurant the tour guide will tell you about. If you go right, you can take the water taxi to the Hilton Marina, Las Olas, etc. We found out that we had to get out at the Hilton Marina to take the next water taxi to Hollywood. It took us almost two hours to get from the Gallery One to Hollywood which was fine, but plan accordingly. I don’t believe there are bathrooms on any of the water taxis. Most people had hats, sun glasses, flip flops or casual walking shoes and bottles of water with them. Do bring a sweater if it's late in the day as the breeze can become quite chilly once it's dark out. And bring $1's to tip the tour guides.

HOLLYWOOD: At Hollywood, the stop is Georgios restaurant with Italian food and a bathroom. Two blocks from there is the Broadwalk that stretches for miles, has pristine beaches and ideally worth spending the day here, but bring walking shoes, spf, and cash. We stopped at the Taco Spot (#1 Mexican restaurant on Trip Adv.), which was delicious and reasonably priced. We split the chicken taco combo which included a small rice and beans, an ear of corn cut in two pieces, and two tacos with slaw, chicken, etc., and had ice waters. The bill came to $10.50. They have really good dressings/toppings, too, and nice pineapple and coconut drinks. We were going to the Tijuana place as Groupon had a $20 deal worth $25, but really, for two people, $25 is a lot of tacos for lunch! While you’re in Hollywood, they have cabana rentals, bike and tandem rentals, and shops you would see in Ocean City, standard boardwalk fare.

BEYOND: Back to the hotel: our room didn’t have an oven or a freezer, so plan your shopping accordingly, and keep track of what you set near the burners, as I was making lunch and didn’t realize I had turned the stove on because the knobs turn easily. The cold setting works well in the fridge though as my eggs and fish were frozen and I had to wait to thaw them out.

The air conditioning in the room is set from the living room, but might be colder in the bedroom, so you may have to change/adjust it accordingly. None of the rooms have tubs, only showers, but you can soak in the Jacuzzi outside if you want the tub effect. We stayed on the fourth floor in a king water view, which doesn’t have a balcony, but sliding doors. The room has views from the bridge on the left side to the pool on the other. When we checked in we opened the doors and let all the mosquitos in, so I spent the first two nights chasing them down with a bottle of Off. Please keep this in mind: THE MOSQUITOS ARE REALLY BAD. I wore Off every day head to toe, and still got bitten one night on my forehead and finger. Seriously? The nerve!

I also noticed a few weird things. The LG TV was mounted on the wall facing the couch, so you couldn’t watch it from the dining room table, as it wouldn't turn. Additionally, in the gym, the equipment now faces the walls with no mirrors, so your back is to the room and people can come and go while you’re on the equipment. I liked it better when the treadmills and bikes faced the room so you could have something to look at. Not that workouts are boring or monotonous!

Also, one day I couldn’t find the housekeeper in the hall, saw her cart and a door ajar, so I yelled into a room with no response from her. I tried again, still nothing. When she came around one day to offer more towels, I found out why. She had a heavy Haitian accent and was a bit older, but very helpful, so I’m learning that while some complain over everything about the Gallery One, they do go above and beyond to accommodate and they still give out those warm, high calorie cookies! ;o)

Room Tip: Check through older reviews on room layouts for your preference or ask to see a few. They have diffe...
7 Thank GOD-DRIVEN-DESIGNS
GALLERYone D, Front Office Manager at GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear GOD-BLESSED NYC,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the GALLERYone Double Tree Suites by Hilton. First of all, I wanted to thank you for your comprehensive review. We are happy to hear that our service and our great amenities made your stay comfortable. At our hotel we like to provide a personalized experience for each of our guests, but also look for ways to keep costs low while providing comfort and convenience. We appreciate your feedback and we’ll keep it in mind as we work to make our services better. Your review helps us maintain a focus on many areas. Thank you again for your review.

Kevin Mugridge
Front Office Manager
Ft Lauderdale-Doubletree Suites, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The staff was very helpful on all my business needs. I got my faxes and packages that I had sent to the hotel as soon as they arrived. The room was clean and room service was excellent. I have booked already in the same place for my next business trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your nice comments. I’m happy to hear our team members made your stay more comfortable. I’ll pass it on. Thanks for choosing GALLERYone DoubleTree by Hilton!

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent a week at the hotel and everything went ok, friendly staff, well located and sunny days !! Beach, National Park, Supermarket, shopping center and pharmacy near by. Nice view from some bedroom. Easy to find.

Dear Arturo B,

Thanks for taking the time to send us this great review. We hope to see you again soon at the GALLERYone Double Tree by Hilton Ft. Lauderdale!

Kevin Mugridge
Front Office Manager
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have stayed at Gallery One many times, first in 1996 and each time I visit the hotel gets less and less attractive which is bad because the hotel used to be great. Last year I stayed in July for 3 weeks with my 2 teenagers. We had to change rooms because of insects under the fridge. The hotel staff was friendly but the service was bad, we had to wait for hours for clean towels. The rooms and bathroom need renovation, cracks in the walls, broken furniture. After my last visit I will never visit this hotel again and seriously doubt trusting the Doubletree brand as well, the standard for the brand seems to be at all time low. I wrote a review on Tripadvisor when I was staying at the hotel and the manager called my room during my stay so I deleted the review but now that I'm planning my vacation and looking at reviews I decided that people should be aware of how much this hotel should be avoided. The pictures of the hotel are nothing like the real thing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gudrun B
GALLERYone D, Director of F&B/Operations at GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Gudrun B,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing GALLERYone DoubleTree by Hilton. We regret to hear that you were disappointed with our property. We've made a lot of changes since your last stay in 2013 and based upon your feedback, your comments have helped us to improve our processes. We’re sorry you encountered challenges for a second time in regards to the condition of your room and the property appearance.
We are actually finished renovating and actively working on upgrading the interior of our rooms at the moment. Our housekeeping team makes every effort that our rooms and common areas of the hotel meet the highest housekeeping standards. We would really love to have you back for a true Hilton experience next time. If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Tiffany S. Davis
Director of F&B/Operations
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We have been staying at the Gallery One for years. Slipped my mind to ever review. We enjoy our stay each time. The staff is very friendly, rooms very spacious, pool lovely. Water taxi picks up at back door and is a great option for seeing the area. Breakfast is quite pricey, like most hotels, so we grab snacks and drinks and make use of the kitchenettes. Walk to the beach over the bridge. A bit far for small kids, but great for anyone else. Enjoy this hotel each time.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TPAMomma
GALLERYone D, Guest Relations Manager at GALLERYone - A DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that your experience was positive. I appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.