“Some Good Some Bad”

Ranked #37 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
NYC
“Some Good Some Bad”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I stayed here post-cruise for 1 night with wife and friends. The room wasn't ready so we had to wait several hours. I think they called us around 2 PM to say the room was finally ready. The city view suite had a kitchen, which was not that nice I might add, and a separate living room off the bedroom. We didn't use the kitchen, so we didn't care it wasn't that nice. We did, however, like the oversized balcony and living room. It made having four people in the room much more enjoyable. We also liked the walk-in shower. The location wasn't bad either. The hotel is next to a mall with some nice restaurants, including Capital Grill, Truluck's, and Martini Blue. We ate at Truluck's and everything was great except the stone crabs, which were terrible. Martini Blue is a fun spot to hang out and have drinks before and/or after dinner. It becomes quite a scene there. We took a cab to Las Olas and Ocean Blvd and it was only $10 - $15, so the hotel is fairly close to other areas of interest.

Okay, so now for the bad stuff. First, there was a bad ring of mold around the bathroom sink. It was pretty gross to look at brushing our teeth. Also, they did not stock anything in the room to eat or drink. I guess because we had a kitchen, but still, no minibar? So, I called the front desk, but they would not answer their phone. It was about 11 PM when I went down to ask the front desk where we could get water to drink. There stood two people doing a whole lot of nothing, especially not answering phones. Once at the desk, I was advised I had to use the vending machine on floor 4 to get bottled water. It felt a bit like I was at a motel at that point. The next morning my friend went downstairs and ordered a cab for us. We had an early flight. When we got downstairs we stood and waited for a good 15 minutes before complaining. Our friend was there 30 minutes ago, so now it was 45 minutes. The bell hop apologized for the delay, and maybe it wasn't his fault. However, we wonder if he ever actually called the cab the first time, because after we complained he called again and one miraculously showed up in 5 minutes. Last thing, lots of little flying bugs at the bar at night, which ruined the start of our happy hour. We moved happy hour to Martini Blue, which ended up being a solid choice.

I would stay here again if I had four people and the price was right, but only for a night, maybe two.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VacationDude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

And if the 10 minute walk to the shops and restaurants is too much, this hotel is on the Water Taxi route. There's also a very good shopping mall within a 5 minute walk (Galleria).

Turning my attention to the hotel facilities, there's a heated outdoor pool and whirlpool with views of the waterway. The restaurant (which I didn't use) has outdoor seating as well as indoor. There's also a bar.

The rooms (sorry, suites!) are superb. Separate seating area, TWO flat-screen TVs, balcony, and kitchenette and dining table in all rooms.

This hotel was chosen for me as a pre-cruise stop-over. I'm hoping to stay here next time I book a cruise.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Dan_Sin_Kween
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I recently visited this hotel for a reward stay with HiltonHonors points. I was upgraded to a King Suite with a waterview, and it was definitely a great view. It was my husband's birthday, and even though I was on business, I wanted our stay to be special. Our view of the channel in Fort Lauderdale was great, and we enjoyed watching the boats and water taxi. The service was excellent, and I wished we'd been able to stay a few days longer what with the great service and weather. My thanks to all that made this stay special...the cookies and milk delivery was greatly appreciated by my husband. I will definitely stay at this hotel again on a future visit to the area. The Galleria is located right next door, and unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to visit the mall on this trip. Better luck next time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2011

spent 3 nights there. beautiful place, amazing patio. a bit pricey, but well worth it. lot's near by.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ottawa006
Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Although not advertised as a hotel amenity, watching the manetees, in the Ft Lauderdale inter-coastal waters, from our seventh-floor balcony was the highlight of our US visit. The hotel is very-well appointed (unless your desperate to be 'on the beach') being, as it is, a water-taxi stop and walking distance from the Galleria Mall and restaurants such as the Blue Martini and the superb P F Chang's China Bistro.
Our suite was excellent , clean and roomy with all amenities needed by 'post cruisers' and the staff helpful and efficient.
There is a small swimming pool and fitness facilities, too.
We'll go again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthBeck
Dexter,GA
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Stayed here one night 1-22-11 prior to cruise. Bathroom floor literally covered in hair. I wiped up a grapefruit size wad with a towel. Front desk sent maid to clean again but by that time I was completely disgusted with the place. To cap things off the next morning a big, burly valet actually SMOKED in my never before smoked in Acura TL. I would never again set foot in this dump.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mamadevil
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I was staying at this hotel for almost two weeks - simply couldn't go elsewhere - it is a great hotel at a perfect location (intracoastal waterway and few minute from the beach), The rooms are beautiful. Staff was really friendly and helpful. I want to go back now ...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business