“Just not as clean as it should be”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stayed here once before about three years ago for one night. We loved it and really wanted to stay here again and we got it thur Hotwire for a $100 a night for two nights. We check in and are assigned a room on the third floor.

Sadly the room did not live up to the standard that we remember and certainly not a four star. Our issues:
- glasses are turned upside down and placed on a cardboard coaster (similar to what you find in bars) good idea, but the coasters are old and dirty and one is even torn.
- Room is very noisy, the venting system is loud and boy oh boy when you flush the toilet you will know it and it goes on for awhile!
- no robes in the room, considering it's regular hotel price per night is around $200 a robe would be a nice option.
- alarm clock is the older cheap plastic ones and the clear plastic cover is cracked. Phone is also old (similar to a type I had in the 80s)
- water pressure in this room is pathetic (but the room we get on the post cruise visit has better pressure so not sure why this one was so bad).
- one of the towels had a long black streak down the middle of it - grosse!!

On our second stay post cruise we were given a room on the fourth floor. We took shoes off and stepped in a totally soaked carpet and then put bag on couch only to move the pillows on the couch and find a balled up large piece of toilet paper -- don't even want to think of what that was used for. TV had all these smear marks on it like it was cleaned with dirty cloth. Again cups are placed on dirty coasters.

Another issue is since this is a non smoking hotel you have to smoke oustside, great, but they have set up two large couches just to the left of the main door and there is no missing walking by it and inhaling all the smoke. Please move to a better location that is away from the main door.

The location is great, and even though you can buy a shuttle service right there for $6 per person, opt for a taxi instead which cost us $10 total incuding tip for the two of us and much faster.

Garbage sat on table by the elevator for two days.

Overall this is not a horrible hotel but definately not a 4 star, more like a 3 star. Staff at the front desk are very helpful and bellhop was great. Sadly housekeeping is definately short staffed. We saw only one housekeeper on our floor and she was busy and I know that they don't get enough time to clean the rooms due to cutbacks. But sadly this is the most important thing about any hotel.

Room Tip: Forgo their $6 per person shuttle and get a taxi to the pier for $10 total. You only get free inter...

Reviewed 17 December 2012

You will not be disappointed with
this hotel. Check in quick and friendly, room nice size and bed very comfortable. The pool was heated and open @ 6 00am. The gym was small but had some nice cardio equipment. Diner at the hotels restaurant also excellent. The hotel had a small business center as well as several free computers in the lobby. Transportation to the cruise terminal was about $10 in a shared van. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are similar. My Room faced the pool and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2012

It’s been 4 years since I last stayed at this hotel and it did not disappoint. This time I stayed for one night on either side of a cruise and it was a great choice.

The location can not be beat as it’s kitty-corner from port everglades. Within casual strolling distance are several restaurants and a couple of strip malls offering Ross Dress for Less, Future Shop, Dollarama, Walgreens and a Liquor Store among others. Just outside the door is a stop for the ‘Trolly” that’s a 50 cent ride to most of the major tourist draws in the area and the city bus stop is just across the street. Unfortunately walking over to the cruise ship docks isn’t an option since 9-11 (no idea what it is about walking that creates a greater threat than rolling in via taxi but I’ll leave that rant for anther day). In short the location is VERY convenient.

The hotel remains spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated (upscale contemporary) and very well maintained. The beds were very comfy, the TV large & modern and the linens crisp, clean & in good shape. The bathroom amenities have been upgraded to Aveda since the last time I stayed – nice touch!

From Valet to Front Desk to Housekeeping, the staff was welcoming, professional and very accommodating.

The outdoor area around the whirlpool & pool is quite attractive with nice looking loungers and umbrellas. I would have loved to have spent some time out there if the weather had cooperated 

On the downside, the breakfast buffet wasn’t my cup of tea. As a Marriott Rewards Gold member I was offered the buffet gratis but chose to pay for the menu brekkie instead. The buffet is quite small and offered fresh fruit, yogurt, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, an omelette station and some bread/pastries. “So what’s the problem with that?” you’re probably thinking and, really, the only issue is my particular taste in breakfast. I’m not much of a hot breakfast eater so the eggs & bacon thing doesn’t do much for me (unless it’s Benedict & then I’m totally down with it). Too bad for me too because those items appeared to be fresh and nicely prepared. The fresh fruit & yogurt were looking good to me but I was disappointed that there wasn’t any granola or nuts to have with them  The pastries were just plain sad looking and, after inquiring, I wasn’t surprised to learn that they were store bought and not baked in-house (they looked day-old too but I cant say for sure as there was no way I was going to eat them). I could have opted for toast, jam, yogurt & fresh fruit but I chose instead to treat myself to the eggs bene from the menu and it was de-lic-ious! Well worth the extra couple of bucks spent. For those of you rolling your eyes, I’m well aware that I’m very much a food snob, sometimes bordering on the ridiculous… I’ve accepted this about myself and fully accept the eye-rolling treatment ;-)

I will certainly be staying at the Renaissance Cruise Port Hotel the next time I’m in the area and would heartily recommend it to anyone– it’s a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We took at Princess cruise on Dec. 8th, 2012 out of Fort Laudale Florida. I have to say that it was in a great location to get to the ship. But I was disappointed that there was no free shuttle from the airport or to the cruise ship. You can see the ships from the hotel, but no free shuttle. I thought there was but it was not the case. You had to pay for a ride to the ships in a van.

Room was very nice, price a little high I thought. We got the AAA rate of 151 dollars a night. Bed was very comfortable. There is a major drugstore right across the street to get things for the cruise and several small restaurants in the area.
The front desk staff was very nice to us , in fact we got a room early with the help of the front desk. Yes we would return to this for our next cruise

Room Tip: Some rooms have a great view of ships leaving and returning .
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We arrived very early on our check-in date. We were hoping just to be able to store our luggage for a few hours. Instead, they immediately got us into our room. Staff is professional and courteous. Rooms are very comfortable. Desk, chairs, lots of lights and lots of sockets. Very comfortable beds. Four pillows per bed, two large and thick; two small and thin. Just great. Very close to dining places. Asian, pizza, Schuler's burgers, Einstein Bagels, Italian (pricey). Of course there is a restaurant in the hotel...also pricey. But hey, you're on Florida's "GoldCoast" so you have to expect that. Walgreens right across the street and direct access to Port Everglades if you have business there or if you are taking a cruise.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We decided to try this hotel because we got a really good rate on the Marriot website. We got off the ship at 10:00 and easily caught a taxi to the hotel. Check in was at 3:00, but I was hoping they might have something available or they could hold our luggage. When we go to the hotel we were promptly greeted by one of the employees who took our bags and showed us to the reception desk, the extremely friendly desk clerk told she did have a room available and gave us our room key on the 10th floor. The room was very nice and clean. We changed our clothes and went down to the pool area. They have a very nice size pool with comfortable chairs around the area. We were going to do a little sightseeing be we decided to spend the afternoon at the pool and to order drinks and food from the bar.
We had an early flight out the next morning and I called down to order a taxi, even thought they did have a shuttle service, I did not want to take a chance on any delays. The taxi was waiting when we go downstairs and we had no delays in getting to the airport.
I have never stayed at a Renasissance hotel but I will definitely keep them on my list of preferred hotels. The hotel is convenient to the cruise terminals, thee are a lot of nice restaurants within walking distance and there is a drug store right across the street. You can’t go wrong with staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel offers a shuttle service to the cruise terminals.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My husband chose this hotel due to its closeness to the crusie port. Be warned, due to 911 restrictions, they do not allow you to walk to the cruise port, you must take a taxi.

That being said, we loved this hotel! Everyone here was so gracious, kind, and friendly. They went out of their way to assist us in any way that they could. The beds were comfy, they had quality products in the room (Aveeda!) and the swimming pool was a hit with my youngsters (9 and 11). We would stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family