“Beautiful renovations !”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I have just returned from a 4 day stay here to attend a Convention. I had read Trip Advisor reviews prior to my visit and have to say I was a little concerned as the reviews were not very appealing. What a pleasant surprise ! Trip Advisor and Renaissance needs to upgrade the outdated web photos. The hotel is undergoing renovations and the upgrades are wonderful. Most of the rooms have been totally and tastefully done over. Final touches were just made to the lobby and restaurants . The menus are not bad and the prices are reasonable (compared to some of the other local hotel restaurants) The staff was always cheerful and accomodating.The location was convenient for me as the Convention Center was just across the street, as was the cruise ship port. Walgreens was directly across the street for last minute travel needs and snacks and may other stores were located nearby . I highly recommend a stay at the Renaissance. You won't be disappointed !

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Tessa5

Reviewed 14 September 2008

Not sure why the hotel website shows photos of the old rooms, they look nasty! The room I had was obviously newly renovated and absolutely gorgeous! I arrived after a business trip to dreadful Kingston Jamaica (ugh!) and it was like arriving in a clean, fresh, contemporary dream. The new furniture is dark wood with simple lines, the linens are fresh, crisp and white, the mattress was excellent and the decor overall is modern, relaxing and oh-so clean. It was heavenly. Room service wasn't as pricey as I expected and was fast, nicely presented and good. Not spectacular, but good. I wish I'd had time to sample the pool and the restaurants before leaving for the airport again but I was on the run. Based on my very short stay (about 11 hours) this hotel has by far the most attractive and comfortable rooms I've ever experienced in South Florida (I travel quite a bit for business and have stayed at many hotels).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Jayne M
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I'm a frequent business traveller and Marriott Gold and have stayed at this hotel abou 6 times. I've usually been quite pleased with my experience here but my most recent stay might be my last. The front desk clerk was a total ditz, the lobby lacked the usual complimentary amenities they have had in the past, the room had no internet service and the concierge in the Gold lounge was the most miserable person I have ever met. Emailed Marriott about my poor experience and never heard back. They must have changed management (for the worse).
Hilton Oceanfront is my new fav in FLL.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank KurtBoston_MA
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We stayed at the Renissance after our cruise. It is a beautiful hotel. It is very clean. The veiw is beautiful. It was very quiet. The staff is very courteous and well informed. It was our anniversary and they gave us complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. It doesn't get any better than that! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dinsewk
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I needed a one night stay in Fort Lauderdale, so requested a four star hotel through Priceline - I was very pleased when I was assigned to the Renaissance - I had stayed there in the past and have always been happy there.

This stay was no exception: easy self parking in the deck next door - lots of space, well lit and even premium spots reserved for Marriott Elite members.

Check in was courteous and efficient - and my Marriott Silver card got me a renovated room, access to the concierge lounge and free WiFi! All for a Priceline rate.

The renovated room was extremely nice. Great color schemes, very nice new furniture (the manager told me they're waiting on a few more pieces to finish out the rooms - the disaster in China has slowed delivery). The new bed was extremely comfortable - and they truly renovated the bathroom, so the entire bathroom was like new - I like the way Renaissance operates as a chain: they don't take short cuts. Many hotels refurbish their rooms but leave the old bathrooms.

I didn't make it to the lounge for the evening hors d'oeuvres and dessert, but I did go for the continental breakfast, which included two kinds of hot eggs, cold cuts, fruit, cereal, bakery items, coffee, espresso, tea etc. Much more than a regular continental breakfast.

The staff was courteous and pleasant throughout. All in all, a top notch stay. Definately a four star, plus experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank DMinATL
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We obtained this hotel through Better Bidding's Easy Click Travel link. We needed one night for a pre-cruise stay. My husband and I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and resorts. This hotel was beautifully furnished and our room exceeded our expectations. The staff was the friendliest we've encountered at ANY hotel. The fresh fruit in the lobby and outside sitting areas was a nice touch. Fresh water with oranges provided a cool afternoon drink. The food in the hotel resturant was excellent for lunch! The location of this hotel is perfect for picking up those last minute items you need for a cruise. There is a Walgreen across the street on the corner and a Publix as well as Total Wine and Liquor up the street a short distance. I'd stay at this hotel for any future visits to the Fort Lauderdale area. We have never felt more welcomed in a hotel than we did here! Fresh cookies in the lobby in the evening and morning coffee served by the elevators can't be missed. We were told this hotel would be undergoing rennovations in the near future. I can't wait to see how they plan on improving on such a beautiful hotel. Thank you to the front desk staff for their wonderful service!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HappyCruiserNy
Reviewed 11 June 2008

Decided to stay at a hotel over memorial weekend, hotel had great deal. At first we could not find entrance, since parking lot was being worked on. Other than that, lobby very nice and nice size hotel room. Water and (yummy) cookies at entrance for free, not bad. The hotel is not off the water or anything special ,but you do get a nice city view from the hotel. Extremely comfy beds, and were able to check out late and sleep in a little.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple