“By no means a real renaissance”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
“By no means a real renaissance”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Marriott may call this a Renaissance but you will discover quickly that it is nothing of the sort. Service poor (the check in clerk) Travis made Norman Bates look good. Rooms outdated. No hair dryer, iron, bathrobes in room. One of two elevators constantly out of order. I am a huge fan of Marriott generally but they should be ashamed of themselves for designating this a Renaissance.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Clifford G
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your response and feedback. I trust that our ongoing communication over the past few days has assured you that these issues have been addressed and corrected.

As I mentioned, the hotel will be undergoing renovations, which have already begun (the elevator upgrade was one of them). We will also be upgrading all of our guest rooms, pool, sundry and fitness center this year. We are very excited about our new look!

Again, I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations but would sincerely welcome another opportunity to do so.

Regards,

Lori

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2014

In early May, I returned to the Fort Lauderdale Renaissance for a one-night, pre-cruise stay. Drawing me back was the hotel's close location to the port and the abundance of restaurants in the immediate area which made it convenient for area friends to meet us for dinner. Upon arrival I worried when I saw that one of the two hotel elevators was not working and that a line had formed in front of the one working elevator. Coming back from dinner two hours later, though, I was pleasantly surprised to find both elevators up and running and everything in fine order. Advance arrangements for the morning shuttle to the port ($6.00 per person) were quickly taken care of by the hotel parking staff. While I would not recommend this hotel as a vacation destination (some distance from the beaches and limited on-site vacation amenities), it is fine for what it is - a convenient before or after cruise hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ciscokid23
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued loyalty and staying with us once again! I apologize we had an issue with the elevators upon your check in. As you mentioned when issues like this occur in the hotel we work tirelessly to fix the issue immediately and I am pleased you noticed this!

We hope you will stay with us again next time you are off on a cruise!

Emma S

Guest Relations Manager
North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is located close to the port, so obviously many of the customers will be going to or returning from cruises. Having said that, the hotel didn't seem overly busy when I was there, which was nice. Check in was fast and efficient, and the agent was ready with excellent dinner suggestions. The room was standard Marriott, which is a good thing. The Bimini Beach Bar next door was a fun option for happy hour. Didn't use the pool or the restaurant, but both seemed OK. This is an excellent option if you need to be in the port area, and is only 10 mins from the airport (no shuttle though, a cab is $15 or so).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dorkus
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks so much for staying with us in Fort Lauderdale! We are happy that you received excellent service from our front desk team and your room was up the standard of other Marriott properties you have visited.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale!

Emma S
Guest Relations Manager
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We spent a short night here after flying into Ft. Lauderdale and driving over to Marco Island, FL, the next morning. Their customer service was excellent at the front desk, and while I was waiting for my husband to check-in I was greeted by another employee and asked if there was anything I needed. The lobby was very contemporary, almost an "Alice in Wonderland" feeling. The room was nice, we were given free breakfast buffet coupons, and were off to Marco Island. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked this room through hotels.com over the holiday weekend and was very excited to stay here based on all the positive reviews. Upon arriving I saw that hotel guests had to pay $25 a night to park their car! Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed with that fact upon arrival. Once I got to the check-in desk I told the receptionist that I was going to be paying for the room with cash and that I could give her a credit card to keep on file as requested in case of damages. (This is completely normal from most hotels). My hotel room was $264 for two night, so I handed the lady $300 cash. (Now you would assume that 300-264 would give me $36 change, but the receptionist was having a difficult time understanding that I should receive money back). At this point I was loosing my patience and just told her to give me the change upon checkout. I walked to my room to double check the credit card they put on file, to find out that the internet was $12.75 a day! Ok, now my irritation level is increasing... I pulled out my phone and looked up my credit card information, to see that the hotel had put a temp charge of $264 and $100. Now that brings us to a grand total of $664 of my money, that the hotel had taken! $300 which I willing gave them and received no change, along with $364 in charges that I NEVER ok'ed! I actually consider it fraud when someone uses your credit card information without your verbal or written consent! I actually walked back to the front desk, expressed my dissatisfaction and asked to have my money back because I was so angry at this point, I didn't want to stay at their establishment. They gave me my cash back, but it has been over a week, and they have put another temporary hold on my account for an additional $364 and the initial $100 temp charge went through! So in all reality they helped themselves to a total of $728 of my money.. (Which I am disputing with my credit card company and I canceled my card so they can make NO FURTHER charges) The crazy part of this all is... I was paying cash!! And they still charged my credit card in such excess it's baffling!! For your own sanity, DO NOT stay here or DO NOT give them your credit card!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here! I found the Holiday Inn Express had nicer rooms, free parking, free wifi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Keys M
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Greetings,

I am terribly sorry for the issue regarding your payment.

Please contact me directly and we will get the issue resolved immediately.

Regards,

Lori
Florence, Oregon
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed our overnight stay before our cruise. I don't think you can find a hotel closer to the cruise port. The hotel does not offer transfers to the port. You must wait for a taxi. This took about 20 minutes on a busy Sunday as there were several parties ahead of us and taxis were in short supply. The breakfast buffet did not appeal, but the items we ordered from the menu were quite good. Our room was very comfortable with fine amenities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. We stayed for three nights prior to our cruise and easily explored Ft. Lauderdale by foot from this location. We walked to great restaurants and shopping areas. The hotel is across the street from the Culinary Institute where we dined on a great meal very inexpensively.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple