“Ok for pre- cruise, not for vacation”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We recently booked three nights at this hotel for a long weekend. It has been recently updated to a good standard. Rooms are a good size, bedding nice (pillows were awful) and the hotel is well kept. It is also conveniently located.

Check in was long because of an error in their system, one that had already been discussed 2 days prior to arrival and supposedly resolved by in house reservations.

The initial room we were given reeked of cigarette smoke and this is a non smoking hotel. We were given a different room and upgrade to club level. This room was larger and quiet, and most importantly, smoke free.

We were really looking forward to Club access but we arrived to find a family of 5 who had apparently adopted the club as their childrens' personal playground. Shredded paper littered the floor, the kids were racing around and speaking - if you can call it that - loudly. One of the brats pushed in front of me as I was getting my coffee and picked up food then put it down again as his doting mother watched. I went to the lounge attendant to let her know she needed to throw out the food but she had already noticed.

We took our coffee to go as we were not looking for a day center environment and she followed us out to apologize. She said others had complained as well and told me I should call and report it as she could not do anything. I went back to the room and called the front desk and suggested they send a manager to check out the situation. To make a long story short, this obnoxious family continued to do as they chose for the duration of your stay.

Our room safe had been left locked by the previous occupant and we always lock up our stuff when we go to work out in the mornings. When we reported it the first night, we were told to call in the morning and they would send someone up. I did that and was told the tool used to fix it was broken. So no safe.

We decided to cut our stay here short and left after two nights.

I called when we got home and got the name and email address of two managers; I sent them emails immediately with this information. They have yet to respond or even acknowledge my correspondence.

I suppose I should not be surprised.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank caviargal

Reviewed 29 December 2008

Hotel is good for the rate we paid $129US. Personally think $90-100US will be more reasonable. Room looks bright and clean. Beds are comfortable and nicely setup. Lobby is spacious and meets 4 star standard. Swimming pool area is clean. 10-15 mins walk to nearby shopping plaza. No Shopping malls.

We stayed one night and going onto cruise the next day. Hotel is 5 min to Port Everglade; however, due to security reason, we need transportation to take us in. The hotel will lure you into taking a shuttle that charge $7-10 per person just to take you to Port Everglade (less than 2 miles away) while you can grab a taxi that charge only $7 per cab with 4 people riding together. Even if you ask frontdesk what would be the most economical way to get to Port Everglade, they won't refer you a cab. A hotel like this shouldn't mislead you like this. Don't be tricked!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank Huntingworld
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Great Hotel in Ft Lauderdale. there two nights before the cruise. I would highly recomend for good well kept room and staff was excellent. Location ideal for the cruise. terminal entrance very close. Sight seeing boats within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank richcciy
Reviewed 9 December 2008

Booked this place thru Priceline for a 3 night pre-cruise stay.

Everything was beautiful, just like most of the others have said. The place is clean, rooms renovated and very comfortable, and the staff could't be nicer. They booked a last minute Everglades tour for me, and I was picked up right at the hotel 30 minutes later.

My best meal was at Giorgio's, an Italian place about 2 blocks West on 17th. Eat there and you'll be very pleased.

I ate once at the Italian place called Bravos, almost in the Renaissance parking lot. It was OK, but Giorgio's had much better food.

I'm off and running for the cruise ship.

RP
California

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richie
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Stayed at the Renaissance for two-days before our Dec. 1st cruise. The hotel is probably the closest hotel to the port. It is very clean and the staff extremely friendly and accomodating. Ryan at the front desk learned that we were celebrating our 20th anniversary and made sure our stay was extra special. The only down-side is that there are not a lot of near-by restaurant options available. One night we ordered pizza delivered to our room (we ordered from Vitos and it was excellent) and the next night we took a cab to the Hard Rock Casino. All in all, it was a great choice for a one or two night pre-cruise stay.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Lu104
Reviewed 16 November 2008

This hotel rates a 5 all the way from Robert the bell hop-greeting us by Name .and joking about BCs best known export.. to the front desk staff. Check in and out was painless -no hidden charges.
The rooms are fantastic as are the public areas. The hotel has just been totally renovated and looks like new.. We highly recommend it

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yucatanLover_8
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Stayed for one night post cruise and was very impressed with the hotel. I secured this room though Hotwire as it listed the hotel as 4 star, and I was not disappointed. My room was very comfortabe and very clean and looked/smelled brand new.

The staff was very friendly and although the pool is right on the main road, I managed to relax after a long cruise.

I had a few drinks in the lounge and something to eat and I found the pricing to be very reasonable.

I would not hesitate to stay here again when in Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo