“Enjoyable stay”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I got a great deal on Priceline (although I would not consider this "downtown" as Priceline does). I definitely did not get a Priceline room but did get a Priceline location across from the elevators but floor was quiet so that was not a problem.

The room was huge and the housekeepers did a nice job of keeping it clean. The bed was very comfortable and there was a nice flat screen TV. There was a large desk with all kind of electronic hookups. The only problem was that the room safe was locked and the maintenance guy couldn't get it open.

I loved the very reasonable room service breakfast. I don't usually do room service but the cost was so good ($10 or so) I decided you couldn't go out to a diner for that price. I got coffee, orange juice, eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast with real dishes and silverware to boot! It was delivered piping hot and right on time every morning.

The location is very good on 17th just before you cross the bridge. I enjoyed catching some football at the lobby bar but didn't get a chance at the pool. Parking for a fee is in a garage next door.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 October 2010

We chose this hotel because of its location and the fact that we could use Marriott points. Check in was fabulous (Sunday afternoon). The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer or more professional. The concierge is also top-notch. The room was lovely and very clean with the usual amenities (shampoo, conditioner, minibar). Robes were delivered when we asked about them. The outdoor pool is lovely and many pool towels were available, however noise from the street can be overwhelming at times. They have made it look at nice as possible but there is really little they can do about the noise. The fitness center looked nice, although we didn't use it. The problems we experienced were with room service and housekeeping. We ordered 2 American breakfasts (includes everything) for 8:30-8:45. At 8:00 (still asleep) the order arrived with a bill for the 2 American breakfasts plus extra charges for all items a la carte on top of that. They said they would fix the bill and returned with another incorrect bill...finally it was corrected. When we tried to set up to eat is when we realized that there is absolutely no place to eat. In some hotels there is a pull out leaf under the desk that you can use as a table but in this room there was nothing. Coffee was weak. Toast was hard . Even though we got what we ordered, it was not an enjoyable breakfast. We wish we hadn't ordered it. When we finished the meal we put the tray in the hall where it stayed for more than 3 hours with the food starting to stink up the hallway. It was only removed after I telephoned the front desk to describe the situation and explain that no one was answering the phone in room service. Housekeeping - The rooms are clean so the housekeepers work hard and do a good job but to get the room refreshed at a reasonable time, we had to ask. We were out all morning and when we returned about noon, the room was still not done and the food was still in the hallway. It was done as soon as we asked but I just wish I didn't have to ask.
I do recommend this hotel but caution on the level of service from room service and speed of service from housekeeping.

Reviewed 15 October 2010

This is a lovely hotel. Newly redone, spacious rooms, very very pretty. It has a nice bar that has good food and drinks, nice nice employees. Unfortunately, the compliments end here, I wish I could say more positive things about my stay there. This was a post cruise stay and as cruises go, we got in early. I requested early check in and was told if i waited they would call me. After 4 hours, no call. I know that early check in is not guaranteed but they had actually forgotten about me from what the concierge said. Then I got the "run around" about wanting a king bed--they didn't know if one was available even though I had made this reservation at least 2 months in advance. A few more minutes passed and they found they had our room, which was being cleaned. When we got to the room there were huge acrylic fingernail clippings (entire tips and debris) on the sofa. Before I let the bellman leave I insisted that the cleaning staff come clean up the room. Very gross. I was unable to sit on that sofa my entire stay.

The problems did not end there. The LAN connection in the desk did not work, neither did the WIFI (yes, we too were on the 12th floor). In order to have a desk lamp, we had to remove a bulb from another fixture because there was no bulb in the desk lamp. When I removed the ironing board and iron from the closet, it exposed the ceiling corner of the closet behind the board hanger covered in black mold and bubbled paint from an active leak. For such a pretty hotel the cleaning staff and maintenance crew left something to be desired.

I told the concierge of the myriad problems and was offered Marriott Reward Points. When I told them I would rather have $$ off the bill they offered $25. I had to tell them that for a $219/night room (2 nights) that I would feel better about $100 off the room price. They offered $75 and I said that would be ok with the 3000 Marriott points they were offering earlier. They they could not figure out how to make that work with their computer system. Ultimately, I got $100 off the room price. The entire experience was more hassle than it was worth. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
FTLRenaissanceGM, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

We at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale always strive to provide the best service to each and every one of our valued guests. Whether they are visiting for a weekend getaway or enjoying a cruise out of Port Everglades, ensuring that we are meeting your expectations is top priority.

After reviewing your comments, I would like to personally apologize for the condition of your guestroom. I have personally followed up with our Engineering and Housekeeping teams to ensure that we are fixing the "broken" processes that allowed this one to slip past us.

In addition, I would like to share with you that our hotel has achieved a 93% or higher on our Marriott Quality Audits over the past 3 years. This is a validation that our teams are consistently focused on the delivery of quality service and a great experience as we are able to pass the hardest test in our industry.

Having said all of this, I would still like the opportunity to make this situation "right". Please take the liberty of contacting me directly @ rsistare@heihotels.com and I would be happy to discuss this with you personally.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

The staff really put up with alot of our drunken shanigans! That was kind of them. Rooms were nice and clean with comfy beds!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise and it was great. I have given it a four star rating not because I think it is a four star hotel, but because it was great based upon expectations.
LOCATION:
It was located right beside Port Everglades. In fact you can see the ships from the hotel and it took about 2 minutes to get to the ship. There were several restaurants within walking distance and a Wallgreens across the street.
ROOM:
I found the room to be very nice. The bed was very comfortable and they had an assortment of pillows. The view from my room 602 (corner) was great you could see out across the port.
MISC:
The fitness center and pool were both very nice. The fitness center had anything you could really need and the pool was very nice with plenty of chairs and towels.
CONS:
I am hard pressed to come up with anything about the hotel which I did not like. However, paying $25 a night to park your car seems a little much. Other than that minor issue (not really an issue) the stay was just fine.

All that said I would highly reccomind this hotel to anyone. Excpecially somone who needs somewhere to stay pre-cruise.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Just stayed here for three nights on a business trip to Fort Lauderdale. I've been to Fort Lauderdale several times, but this was my first stay at this particular hotel. This hotel definitely seems to get mixed reviews, and I can see what some people might not like about it...but it met my needs.

Pros:
- Nice Location. Although this hotel is located across the street from the Cruise Port, it is also a very short distance from Fort Lauderdale Beach, the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport, and downtown Fort Lauderdale. Easy access to both Federal Highway and SR A1A means that most of the better areas of Eastern Broward are within a short drive. There are a number of restaurants nearby, as well as a Publix grocery store and Total Wine.

- Nice Rooms. The rooms seem to have been updated recently, although they aren't quite brand new. Comfortable bed, nice bedding, and a small sitting area are good for relaxation after a long day. Work desk/chair were adequate for getting things done. Flat screen TV, though they didn't seem to have HD channels. I had a corner room so it had windows on two walls, which made for a nice view of the port, intracoastal, and the ocean.

- Front Desk Staff: Very pleasant check in experience. I had received a FedEx box, and the desk agent notified me without me even having to ask about it. When I arrived shortly after check-in time, I was told the room they had set aside wasn't yet available, but she made a phone call or two, and they put me in a nice corner room with great view.

- Club Lounge: Nice lounge...spacious and never seemed to be overly busy when I was there. September is definitely off season in South Florida, so maybe that had something to do with it. They had drinks and light snacks available all day...which isn't always the case.

Cons:
- Some areas of the hotel are showing age. The bathroom in the room was a little dated and the tile could stand to be updated. Also, it didn't quite seem like the meeting room area off the lobby had received the same updating the rest of the lobby had.

- Internet connection wasn't great. It was a consistent connection that didn't drop, but it was a little on the slow side.

- Parking was $20/night. Really? Plenty of parking available in the neighboring strip mall, and the parking garage never seemed to be full. I suppose this is par for the course in this area, but since parking didn't seem scarce, the charge seemed excessive.

- There were times when my room and the corridor outside the room seemed to reek of smoke. Maybe they could do a better job of enforcing the no smoking policy.

I'd stay here again. Most likely will the next time I'm in FLL for business.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2010

The cab ride from the airport was $12. Check-in was efficient, great positive, friendly staff.
Bed was comfortable. Since we have Marriot "silver status", our computer hookup was free of charge in our room. The Aveda toilitries are high quality.
We ate breakfast at The French Bakery around the corner. The pastries were delicious but the coffee and latte were horrible.
2 minute walk to Walgreen's to get a few last minute items for our cruise.
Check out was quick (and friendly).
Took the $6 shuttle to port for our cruise.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple