“Great pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #33 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Canada
“Great pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel”
Reviewed 7 December 2010

It's the third time we stay here and we are never disappointed. We stayed before our cruise and after our cruise. For post-cruise stays, we knew not to expect our room ready when we checked in early and they graciously stored our luggage while we went shopping. Our room was ready when we returned in the afternoon. We especially enjoy the welcoming lobby where there is plenty of sitting areas. The front desk staff is friendly and very knowledgeable. The hotel is located near restaurants, public transportation, water taxi, drugstore, banks, grocery store; so much within walking distance and its across the street from Port Everglades, a very short taxi ride to the cruise ship piers. The rooms are spacious, clean and well maintained. The pool is also very nice. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends; we will most likely return!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stayed at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel the night before our cruise. It was a beautiful hotel - we loved it! Our room was spotless. The pool area was very nice, and the staff was friendly and helpful. It was just a short cab ride from the airport, cruise port and beach. It was a very pleasant experience, and I would definitely stay there again. If you are looking for a nice hotel to stay at before or after your cruise, this is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cindy241
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Great hotel to stay before or after cruise. Helpful staff, nice buffet breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed at the Renaissance for one night before a cruise. It was a quick ride from the airport. The hotel is very nice, spacious rooms. Saw a few splashes on the walls in the bathroom, worn spots in carpet, etc. but I don't let any of that bother me too much. The bed was very hard was my biggest complaint, but it was only for one night and nothing ever beats "your" bed.
We used the club level conceirge club for evening snacks/drinks and for breakfast. Breakfast was OK, but can't complain considering it's included and headed to a cruise ship to eat non-stop for days!
We also used the fitness room. Several nice treadmills and elipitical machines, few free weights. Treadmills have TVs on each one which is always nice.
Directly across the street is a shopping center that had an Italian restaurant which was good, nice to not have to take another taxi. I believe there were several choices as long as you don't mind walking a few blocks. Also had a Walgreens right across the street, good for last minute necessities.
The hotel has a shuttle that we took to the port, it does cost $6 a person. I'm glad we took that over a taxi because I forgot something in the room, we had just arrived in front of our ship, but the shuttle driver took us back to the hotel and back to the ship at no extra charge (we did tip accordingly).
I will definitely be staying here again.

Florida
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I got a great deal on Priceline (although I would not consider this "downtown" as Priceline does). I definitely did not get a Priceline room but did get a Priceline location across from the elevators but floor was quiet so that was not a problem.

The room was huge and the housekeepers did a nice job of keeping it clean. The bed was very comfortable and there was a nice flat screen TV. There was a large desk with all kind of electronic hookups. The only problem was that the room safe was locked and the maintenance guy couldn't get it open.

I loved the very reasonable room service breakfast. I don't usually do room service but the cost was so good ($10 or so) I decided you couldn't go out to a diner for that price. I got coffee, orange juice, eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast with real dishes and silverware to boot! It was delivered piping hot and right on time every morning.

The location is very good on 17th just before you cross the bridge. I enjoyed catching some football at the lobby bar but didn't get a chance at the pool. Parking for a fee is in a garage next door.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We chose this hotel because of its location and the fact that we could use Marriott points. Check in was fabulous (Sunday afternoon). The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer or more professional. The concierge is also top-notch. The room was lovely and very clean with the usual amenities (shampoo, conditioner, minibar). Robes were delivered when we asked about them. The outdoor pool is lovely and many pool towels were available, however noise from the street can be overwhelming at times. They have made it look at nice as possible but there is really little they can do about the noise. The fitness center looked nice, although we didn't use it. The problems we experienced were with room service and housekeeping. We ordered 2 American breakfasts (includes everything) for 8:30-8:45. At 8:00 (still asleep) the order arrived with a bill for the 2 American breakfasts plus extra charges for all items a la carte on top of that. They said they would fix the bill and returned with another incorrect bill...finally it was corrected. When we tried to set up to eat is when we realized that there is absolutely no place to eat. In some hotels there is a pull out leaf under the desk that you can use as a table but in this room there was nothing. Coffee was weak. Toast was hard . Even though we got what we ordered, it was not an enjoyable breakfast. We wish we hadn't ordered it. When we finished the meal we put the tray in the hall where it stayed for more than 3 hours with the food starting to stink up the hallway. It was only removed after I telephoned the front desk to describe the situation and explain that no one was answering the phone in room service. Housekeeping - The rooms are clean so the housekeepers work hard and do a good job but to get the room refreshed at a reasonable time, we had to ask. We were out all morning and when we returned about noon, the room was still not done and the food was still in the hallway. It was done as soon as we asked but I just wish I didn't have to ask.
I do recommend this hotel but caution on the level of service from room service and speed of service from housekeeping.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed 15 October 2010

This is a lovely hotel. Newly redone, spacious rooms, very very pretty. It has a nice bar that has good food and drinks, nice nice employees. Unfortunately, the compliments end here, I wish I could say more positive things about my stay there. This was a post cruise stay and as cruises go, we got in early. I requested early check in and was told if i waited they would call me. After 4 hours, no call. I know that early check in is not guaranteed but they had actually forgotten about me from what the concierge said. Then I got the "run around" about wanting a king bed--they didn't know if one was available even though I had made this reservation at least 2 months in advance. A few more minutes passed and they found they had our room, which was being cleaned. When we got to the room there were huge acrylic fingernail clippings (entire tips and debris) on the sofa. Before I let the bellman leave I insisted that the cleaning staff come clean up the room. Very gross. I was unable to sit on that sofa my entire stay.

The problems did not end there. The LAN connection in the desk did not work, neither did the WIFI (yes, we too were on the 12th floor). In order to have a desk lamp, we had to remove a bulb from another fixture because there was no bulb in the desk lamp. When I removed the ironing board and iron from the closet, it exposed the ceiling corner of the closet behind the board hanger covered in black mold and bubbled paint from an active leak. For such a pretty hotel the cleaning staff and maintenance crew left something to be desired.

I told the concierge of the myriad problems and was offered Marriott Reward Points. When I told them I would rather have $$ off the bill they offered $25. I had to tell them that for a $219/night room (2 nights) that I would feel better about $100 off the room price. They offered $75 and I said that would be ok with the 3000 Marriott points they were offering earlier. They they could not figure out how to make that work with their computer system. Ultimately, I got $100 off the room price. The entire experience was more hassle than it was worth. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
FTLRenaissanceGM, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
We at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale always strive to provide the best service to each and every one of our valued guests. Whether they are visiting for a weekend getaway or enjoying a cruise out of Port Everglades, ensuring that we are meeting your expectations is top priority.

After reviewing your comments, I would like to personally apologize for the condition of your guestroom. I have personally followed up with our Engineering and Housekeeping teams to ensure that we are fixing the "broken" processes that allowed this one to slip past us.

In addition, I would like to share with you that our hotel has achieved a 93% or higher on our Marriott Quality Audits over the past 3 years. This is a validation that our teams are consistently focused on the delivery of quality service and a great experience as we are able to pass the hardest test in our industry.

Having said all of this, I would still like the opportunity to make this situation "right". Please take the liberty of contacting me directly @ rsistare@heihotels.com and I would be happy to discuss this with you personally.