“Hotel staff off the chart. Just awesome”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #33 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Hotel staff off the chart. Just awesome”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We arrived 5 days early for our Cruise so we could explore . The hotel was wonderful,rooms were clean and large just what I needed to hold my shopping adventures. The staff was very helpful and always attentive to our needs . Parking was not bad don't remember what we paid. I will book this hotel again. Extremely clean and tidie.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Just stayed the one night before our cruise. Arrived in the evening after our flight into Miami from the UK so we didn't get to see the pool area. The room was very pleasant and the bed was extremely comfortable.

When we went for a walk the next morning, it appeared at first that the hotel is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but there is a really nice restaurant (Bimini Boatyard) just behind the hotel, where we had lunch before getting the shuttle bus to the cruise port. We also came back up to this area by taxi after the cruise when we were staying on the beach, to go to the 15th St Fisheries restaurant so this would be another option if you were staying here.

Great for the cruise ship terminal, but I wouldn't say it would be the place to spend your full holiday.

1 Thank MissMandyinLeeds
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I stayed at the Renaissance with my family the night prior to our cruise. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating upon our arrival and check-in was a breeze. The lobby was extrememly clean and beautifully decorated. The hotel rooms were spacious, comfortable, and clean. My brother and I ordered room service for dinner, which came very promptly. The food was nothing too special, but it was definitely good enough for a nice, quick in-room dinner. A staff member even came a few minutes after our meal had been taken away to make sure we had gotten everything we needed! My family came in very late at night due to an incompetent driving service (not affiliated with the Renaissance) that we had booked to take us to the hotel. When we told them what had happened, they told us we could use the hotel driving service to be taken to the airport when we returned from the Cruise. The vehicle was waiting for us as soon as we disembarked, and we had a hassle-free return trip!
The only issue (and a very small one) was that my family had booked 3 rooms, which all ended up being on separate floors. We would have preferred to be on the same floor, especially because we were travelling with my elderly grandfather. However, the staff came to each floor with us and delivered our luggage to our rooms. Besides that, everything was great - it was a lovely stay - wish we could have been there longer!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank juliehansell
Palm City, FL
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Got this hotel through priceline on the name your price option and stayed one night. Previous reviewer pretty much nailed it. The staff was excellent and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. The main point of this review was to enlighten anyone planning on driving to this hotel and parking. The self park is $20/night and the valet is $25/night, both very high for this area of Ft. Lauderdale. Hotel is located adjacent to an upscale shopping plaza which is owned by the same group that owns the hotel and was told by the staff that they aggressively tow any overnight cars that park in the plaza that have not paid the extortionary rate that the hotel demands the guests of the hotel pay to park. Shower pressure was not great, but very reasonable. Bottom line, this is a fine hotel to stay at, just be prepared for the additional charge if you decide to drive here.

2 Thank ChangesInLatitudes33
FTLRenaissanceGM, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in our hotel - my Executive team and I take each TripAdvisor review as a serious snapshot of our operation.

In regards to the price of parking, we set our rate levels based upon similar hotels from a market survey conducted in January 2010. As father who enjoys traveling with his family, I understand that this can be an unexpected expense. Having said this, we have chosen to not increase our prices for 2011.

Finally, I would like to share with you that this hotel is owned separately from the commercial real estate and parking lots adjoining the property. Please know that there is no intent to force anyone to park with us by threatening to tow or ticket.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to being you preferred hotel in Fort Lauderdale.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 22 December 2010

The Renaissance ended up being a very good place to rest up and recover after a long flight. It is located near Fort Lauderdale Airport, check-in was fast and effecient, there is lots of hot water and Aveda amenities for a nice shower, and the beds are very comfortable. The free wi-fi is a plus and the desk area set-up is effecient. The fitness center is a place to get an adequate work out and there is food and shopping for nececities near-by. The swimming pool area was pleasant.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jjb415
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel over a weekend in November. I had not stayed there before and I was looking nice hotel that was reasonably priced and convenient to both downtown Ft Lauderdale and the airport. So I chose this hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised at how upscale it was. It was recently redone and the rooms, bed and mattress were great. I knew it was close to the Intercoastal but didn't realize it was only a block away from the cruise ships. Very convenient for cruisers (and many were there). The staff couldn't have been nicer. When I checked in I had a problem with my room key, so I asked the maid for assistance but her pass key wouldn't work as well so I went to the front desk. They not only were very apologetic, they walked me to my room and tried to open it for me with a new key. Still problems but rather than having me wait for the repairman, she immediately walked me to another room and offer that one to me. She then went down stairs got new keys for the room and walked them back to me. Similar service in the restaurant. They couldn't have been nicer in taking my order and making sure everything was to my satisfaction (which it was from the outset). I plan on using this hotel many times in the future. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank JoeF41
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 15 December 2010

One night, December 14, 2010 in room 922 for $145 plus tax. This is about average for south Florida room rate. Overnighted for cruise ship from Fort Lauderdale. No van from airport, use taxi for about $20 (with tip). Rooms are clean. Beds very good. Flat screen TV but limited channels and NO HD. Wireless Internet was available but slow. Front desk service is non existant. The 9th and 10 floor had problems with HVAC system but maintenance got that fixed. Breakfast buffet available but extra, not included in the rate. Van service to ship at no additional charge. Walgreens across the street. One outside restaurant in mall next to hotel. If you need a place to stay for one night this property is good. Close to airport and port. Neighborhood is good.

1 Thank CorvetteTraveler77