I had read some not-so-good reviews of this hotel before we arrived. But, we couldn't find another one to switch to, so we hoped for the best during a two-night, pre-cruise, stay. I called the hotel directly the day before our arrival to check on the "no ice machines in the hotel" comment I had read. I was told they had an ice machine on each floor. I also verified the cost of the room at $208, including all charges. They will charge your for your entire stay when you arrive, which violates rules they are required to follow by the major credit card companies.
Take it from me; there is no icemaker in the entire hotel, and they denied tellng me this. The charges I ended up paying under protest were $262 per night, at least twice what this place is worth. And, one person I spoke with was actually paying $138 per night for this, at best, two-star property.
Despite a great location (near many restaurants and stores, and close to a water taxi stop and Port Everglades) and a decent physical structure, everything about this place screams cheap. Instead of providing a decent experience and charging appropriately, the management thinks it can survive long-term by gouging people on the room price and pinching pennies on every single part of the guest experience. The business center is obviously a filthy old broom closet, with two antique computers trying to access achingly slow internet service. It is kept locked, has no signage, and has one dirty chair, with another available "upon request" at the front desk.
The internet service in the rooms is dreadfully slow and cannot be accessed by following the printed instructions provided, but only by asking how to really make it work.
Their is no daily housekeeping service, the kitchen equipment, like everything else in the place, is the cheapest money can buy. The kitchenette is completely antiquated, the newest part being a $30 miniature microwave. The stovetop must be at least 30 years-old. The mattresses were vary hard, as mentioned in other reviews, yet were so thin I could squeeze the top and bottom togther with one rather small hand.
Tiny bits of the cheapest soap and shampoo were offerred, along with dollar store towels. You could read a newspaper through the toilet paper. The toilet was loose and rocking, despite being siliconed to the floor, indicating some very amateurish maintenance work.
Two positive things about our stay. 1. The air conditioner worked. 2. The staff tried to smile and be nice while enforcing all of endless rules and working in such a cheapo, penny-pinching place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Extended Stay America Fort Lauderdale - Airport-Cruiseport, conveniently located within walking distance to the Convention Center, Port Everglades and the Art Institute. Our hotel is designed especially for longer stays with studios featuring fully-equipped kitchens and plenty of work space… amenities you won't find in a typical hotel room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Extended Stay and Odigeo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Extended Stayamerica Fort Lauderdale - Convention Center - Marina Hotel
- Extended Stay America Fort Lauderdale
- Extended Stay Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Extended Stay