“A Hidden Oasis”

Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland Park
Ranked #71 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 8 March 2012

A typical BW room, but in the center of the motel is the pool, lounges, and Tiki Bar. The bar is managed/tended by Ladonna, who is one of the nicest most helpfull and skilled bartenders weve encountered. Our stay was for two days, after a cruise, where we met up with relatives. A great place for catching up with each other.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of a room near the bar, as it closes around 9:30 and rooms are very well soundpr...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cigardough

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I chose this hotel based on reviews on tripadvisor and expedia and we were very disappointed. We used the airport shuttle which was ok. The hotel was not worth the price paid and the breakfast was disappointing. The evening staff seemed disinterested, but the daytime staff was very pleasant. I question the reviews of those that have rated this hotel above average. I would never recommend it to a friend. Next time I'll skip the included breakfast and go for a Marriot. The bathroom was clean, however, even my kids questioned my judgement on this place! did not use cruise port shuttle based on reviews. We booked a private car.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank linda p
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I read a lot of reviews before I make my selection for my travel plans. There was no mention of the inadequate shuttle service when I booked this hotel.
We arrived late into Fort Lauderdale after a delay in our flight and 9 hours of traveling. I called the hotel for the shuttle service and was told that the shuttle service stops at midnight. It was now 1230am. GREAT!! It cost me $40.00 for a taxi to the hotel WITH a shuttle service.
After we returned to Fort Lauderdale after our cruise, I called the hotel for our shuttle service and was told it would be right there. My elderly mother and I waited for 2 hours in the HOT SUN for the shuttle. I called the hotel 4 times and was told that it was a Saturday (don't know what that means?), that traffic was very busy and some other lame excuse. There were 2,104 passengers on our cruise ship and we were the only ones still waiting at the port for a pick up.
When the shuttle driver finally arived (he dropped off some passengers who were now boarding the cruise ship - that's how long we were waiting). he told us that he was not informed that we were waiting for a pick up. Somebody is lying !!!!!
On our way back to the hotel we stopped at the airport to pick up some other poor folks who had aslo been waiting 2 hours for a pick up. This cannot get anymore pathetic.
The hotel staff did nothing to appease my exteme unhappiness.
I will not reccommend this hotel or hotel chain to anyone. AND I intend to tell everyone of our treatment at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank doreenEdmonton
BWOPI, Manager at Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

First, we appreciate your choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Oakland Park Inn. We try to please all of our guests as if they are our family. Unfortunately there will be some instances where situations may occur that are beyond our control.
Secondly, I would like you to understand that no hotel in Fort Lauderdale has 24 hour shuttle service. We try to accommodate every guest by starting our shuttle services at 5:00 AM until 12:00 AM. We cannot control delays that may be encountered from airlines or personal issues. Please be advised that in “high” season in Fort Lauderdale (December to April) there are many mega ships in harbor which causes a majority of lodging establishments to sell out; all transportation and supply vendors are being called to flood the port; and port security (Homeland Security) is at an all-time high. Security randomly checks all passengers in a vehicle while entering the port. All these factors cause a major strain on time for pick-ups and drop-offs. You can count on us to try and alleviate all of your problems; however, it seems "outside" circumstances that have nothing to do with the hotel plagued your experience.
Thirdly, this hotel is an "I care" certified hotel, meaning that all of our staff are trained in customer sensitivity issues that help our guests recover from an exhausting day of traveling. Our drivers are well aware of the major delays caused by Homeland Security and the shear number of passengers, supply vehicles, and the like. We sincerely hope that you misunderstood any statements that were attributed to our driver. Nonetheless, we will take your comments to all of our drivers, and use this opportunity for training and to reinforce our “I care” pledge.
Again, I would like to thank you for being our guest and if you have any other questions, please reach out to us.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

All went well and the only negative was we had to wait all day for our room. But, that is the way it goes. We used the beautiful (heated) while waiting, so, you couldn't ask for much more. Breakfast in the morning was pretty good. I would do it again! Go, enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms are 3 levels, pool, bar in the center. Didn't notice any noise, but if you call it a nigh...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank WashPA0214
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Spacious and clean Room. 5 star service. Good location for beach and overall as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keeble1950
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The room looked ok: no bedspread (always a plus) and nice looking light furniture. The bathroom was really good, especially the hand-held massage shower head, which is almost unheard of, even in a high priced hotel. The problem was the room ventilation, which consisted of an exceptionally noisy unit that cycled on and off with a bang every few minutes. It was impossible to fall asleep as you would anticipate the upcoming boom signaling the a/c either turning on or off. Finally, I had to turn off the air conditioning and rely totally on the fan function, which was still really loud, but constant, at least. It was very stuffy in the room and there was the smell of dampness (perhaps mold) coming from the a/c unit. I would guess that they don't change the filter in the a/c unit very often, if ever.
The breakfast was just fine and in general, the place was quite clean. If only it hadn't been one of my worst sleep experiences ever...

Room Tip: You can request a quiet room, as we did. But since we couln't sleep anyway, not much point.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shaynassister
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I spent one night and found the hotel clean and the staff very helpful. The room was not plush but had all the extras. Since the hotel was full, I was worried about noise but all was quiet and I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. The free breakfast was quite good. The shuttle to the airport or the cruise port costs $5.00.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo