“Comfort Inn, Really?”

Ranked #77 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
augusta
“Comfort Inn, Really?”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a lovely clerk. She registered us and sent us off to our room with 2 beds for 4 adults.. When we opened the door, we were hit with an overwhelming paint smell! They had just painted and had not replaced the furniture or vacuumed the room. Well, that can happen to any property and hey, at least they are painting, right!
So, we got another key to another room. It is non - smoking but open the door and it totally smelled like a wet ash tray!! We get a third key and open the door, it's a king with a sleeper couch. It doesn't smell and it is late at night and we are tired, so we take the room.
Upon further inspection, this room had not been vacuumed either. The fairly new paint job was sloppy at best. The carpet was filthy. The bathroom wasn't too swift either.
There was no extra bedding for the sleeper couch, so my husband went to the front desk to ask for sheets and a blanket. He was told that all the extra blankets were in the dryer and as soon as they were dry, they'd call our room to come and get it. Instead of calling, they delivered the blanket (which was nice) but when I went to put it on our bed, I discovered that it had at least 20 cigarette burn holes in it! It was gross!
When the blanket was delivered by a woman other than the one that had checked us in, my husband asked for an extra set of towels. She let out a disgusted sigh and huffed off to get them. It appeared we were really putting her out!
On this particular vacation, we had stayed in 9 hotels (or motels) prior to this night and had never felt compelled to buy a bottle of Lysol and spray the room down and keep our shoes on until laying in the bed. But this time we definitely did both!
As uncomfortable as I was in this room, I must give the devil his due, the sleeper couch was definitely the must comfortable on we'd ever slept on!
I would love to know what Choice Hotels is thinking, putting their name on this property.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sheilabobeila

Theresa Cecilio-Pye
954 315 2900

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed two nights at this Comfort Inn. The beds were comfortable, the room clean and quiet. We had a non-smoking, upper floor room. There is an elevator.

The breakfast was typical cereal, pastries, biscuits & gravy, waffles. An attendant was on duty and prepared the waffles.

The desk clerks were friendly and recommended good restaurants nearby.

The location was easy to get to and convenient for the airport and Port Everglades.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edge W

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have been to this property multipe times. Property is very quiet and comfortable. The staff is very accomodating and friendly. The price is very reasonable as well as the area is very close to major highways and amenities. I would definitely recommend

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

For the two separate occasions that we stayed at Comfort Inn our nights were very peaceful, which is highly important to me personally when I stay at any hotel. Our home arrangements were not ready for my family and I to return to and I had a very exhausting day nonetheless. So, for Comfort Inn to give me the best service was A++. The total service was magnificent and the extra accommodations, as far as the hotel service rep gave me was selfless. I was in dire need of some personal thing and she totally understood and went above and beyond to assist me. I hope all the other Comfort Inns and Suites offer the same service whenever I visit!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Whitwell, TN
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I spent four nights on this delightful property and almost didn't want to depart. The front desk employees are amazing; friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The breakfast is excellent with plenty of space for all guests to be comfortable while dining. I cannot believe some of the reviews as this property showed none of the negatives I have read. My room only needed a few more channels on the TV but otherwise, it was one of the most comfortable hotels in which I have ever stayed and I have been in hundreds of hotels during my travels all over the world. Thanks to all who made my stay so pleasant!

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor and very comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PrestigeFL

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Based on their photos it looked nice. Nothing like my photos. Carpets were a mess, burn in the bedspread and they didn't even fold it to hide it. Worn out furniture. Such a mess. Plus we were told it was close to the airport. Well it was $45 away from the airport. Very nice driver to the airport as a side note BTW

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fordybrook717

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I was afraid to try this place after reading some of the reviews, but I'm glad that I ignored the negative ones. This is a nice place to stay, and in my experience, this is typical for almost all Comfort Inn/Suites.
I stayed in mid October. The hotel was maybe half full, judging by the parking lot. My room and the common areas I saw were clean. The staff is friendly. The flat screen TV came in really handy - I used it as a monitor for a desktop PC. I did not have a decent internet connection at the jobsite, so I brought a desktop PC back to the hotel to work at night. The wireless internet is the probably best I have found at any hotel. I was able to download a DVD size file, while streaming a movie on Amazon Prime, in under 2 hours.

The only negatives I have are (1) the elevator, (2) A/C, and (3) the breakfast area.

(1) I had a room on the third floor across from the elevator. Every time the elevator ran, I could hear the hydraulic pump start up. If you ever stayed in a hotel with jacuzzi rooms, the elevator sound was similar to a jacuzzi starting up in the next room. If the A/C fan was running, the white noise was enough to drown out the elevator noise. Which brings me to

(2) The A/C fan can not be set to run continuously (while on A/C or heat), but this is common in almost all of the hotels I am familiar with. The cycling fan on hotel room A/C units is probably my biggest gripe because it wakes me up. A continuous setting for the fan would be an easy fix.

(3) I only had breakfast at the hotel twice during my week's stay. The breakfast area had all the normal selections, but a few things put me off. I had biscuits and gravy the first morning, but I had to just about scrape the sides of the tray to get any. The yogurt cups were like tiny sample size ones. There is a jar for tips on the middle of the food counter. The lady restocking the items was nice, but I have never had to tip at a hotel breakfast area before. For the rest of my stay, I stopped at the McDonald's on the way to the jobsite.

Positives outweigh the negatives, and I will stay here again if I come back to the area.

Room Tip: get a room away from the noisy elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business