“Would recommend for weekend trip downtown”

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Would recommend for weekend trip downtown”
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Went in April, rooms were very clean, bed was great, walking distance to everything good downtown, and i didnt hear any noise sleeping

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
HamptonGM-250, Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL., responded to this review, 21 May 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such an outstanding contribution. Thank you for mentioning the hotel staff and superb attention. Warm Regards, Kelley Malone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 23 April 2010

This is my second time at this hotel and I will not stay here again. I travel often for business and look for a clean, safe, reasonably priced hotel. This place is located several blocks from the main business district in a very rough neighborhood. DO NOT walk unless it is in a group and you don't mind being bumped and panhandled on the sidewalk. The homeless sleep in a park two blocks away. My second night at the hotel, I came back to my room and the door was open. The room across the hall also was open when the couple came in after dinner. Apparently, the maid forgot to shut the rooms after cleaning them. The next day, I came back in the middle of the day to change clothes. When I went into the room, I just threw the safety lock on, but didn't lock the dead bolt. While changing, someone tried to get into the room with a key! I immediately called the front desk. They investigated and apologized the maintenance man didn't know anyone was in the room. There was no knock or identification - he just tried to get in! Thank god I had the lock on!! The next morning, my friend said she had gotten someone else's bill slipped under her door! A next-day package from my office was lost by the front desk and I finally got it three days later - too late for my meetings! My trash was emptied about half the time. This is just too much for me. I won't stay here again.

5 Thank Mirth60
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Thank you for mentioning the friendly staff service and the welcoming lobby. We are embarrassed by the service which you encountered through out the property and have utilized your feedback to improve our property. We would love to have you back to regain your trust in our brand. Warm Regards,...
London, England
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We arrived here for a second week in Fort Lauderdale, having previously stayed at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. We expected this hotel to be of a lower standard than the Hilton, but we didn't imagine it would be this bad. First impressions of the hotel weren't too bad. The check-in staff were friendly, and the lobby looked ok. However, when exiting the lift, everything looked very shabby. The carpets are very outdated, and the ice machine outside our hotel room was incredibly noisy. When we opened the door to our room, we were hit by a horrible musty smell. The air conditioning was on full, but we couldn't tell if this was making the smell better or worse. We desperately wanted to open a window for some fresh air, but the window was non-opening. The room was very outdated and in need of modernisation. The duvets on the beds were really lumpy, the wood below the refrigerator had big chunks missing, and there was a hole in the wall behind the bathroom door, made by the hooks on the back of the door. The bathroom in general needed modernising.

On the first day we took a walk to the nearest 7-11. We walked along the street that the hotel entrance is on, and found many of the properties to be empty, boarded up and/or derelict. Also there are lots of homeless people in the local area. We would not feel comfortable walking around this area after dark. If you are looking for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, and are not restricted to the downtown area, I would recommend staying near the beach instead.

6 Thank BinaryMoon
HamptonGM-250, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL., responded to this review, 10 June 2010
I wanted to Thank-You for your review on trip advisor... I understand the sensitivity to odors. I would like to advise that since your review we have made the hotel 100% non-smoking and have deep cleaned each and every room. Making it an enjoyable experience for all guest's.
Thank-You for your positive comments about our friendly staff and impressive lobby. Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip to Ft. Lauderdale!!
Colorado
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I love staying at Hampton Inns, because they are always the same... I know exactly what to expect. This particular one was just as great with a little bit of extra class added to the mix. This hotel is very secure including the parking structure. The parking structure is very narrow... If you are renting a car, get a small one. What is nice, is that the parking structure is attached to the hotel, you can park on the 3rd level & walk directly to your room on the 3rd floor or grab the hotel elevator & go up from there. Great pet friendly restaurants not too far away & the hotel staff referred us to them. They were great for our business dinner & had a lot of outside dining. We noticed the some of the patrons were able to have their pets at their side while they ate. The only constructive comment for this hotel: I thought I had left some items in the hotel, when I spoke to the housekeeping manager she said (without checking or getting my room number) that they had probably thrown them away, I would be aware of this or at least ask about it, if you are known for leaving items behind.

norfolk
Reviewed 27 February 2010

The hotel is on the edge of Downtown and in a seedy area where down and outs doss all over the place. We looked out of our bedroom window to see several of them sleeping across the road to the hotel!! The hotel is not within walking distance of Olas Boulevard and there are limited restaurants you can walk to in about 10 minutes. The hotel has no bar or restaurant.
The staff on Reception are not helpful; we asked for a map of the area and we were given a sheet of A4 with a poor street plan which was not helpful. When we walked to the waterfront area we were able to get a free 'Whats on in FL Guide' which included a map and info about restaurants etc. What a pity the hotel did not provide such info.
Our room had a stale smell and was generally shabby; the windows would not open so we had to put up with the smell. Thank goodness we only had one night there!!
The complimentary breakfast was equally disappointing; plastic cutlery and plates and the limited selection of hot food kept running out.
All in all not worth £140 approx per night.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank manorfarm
Davenport, FL
Reviewed 11 February 2010

My sister and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for a "Girl's weekend" - We LOVED it! We had one of those exit guide magazines that you pick up at a rest area, with walk-in hotel deals. We live near Orlando and decided to just drive off to Fort Lauderdale and find a place to stay when we got there. Using the exit guide, we started out near the beach and checked out a few local hotels, as well as national chains. They seemed either a bit seedy, lacked parking, or not really safe for 2 "girls" traveling alone. We drove up a little ways into town and tried the Hampton Inn near Las Olas. Got a room right away and no trouble for the coupon. Our room was amazing! We felt like queens! Two big, fluffy beds with about a million pillows and a luxurious bathroom. We could walk to the art museum and Las Olas Blvd., which is a ritzy shopping and dining district. We stayed 2 nights - drove out to the beach the second night. It was a short drive and easy to find metered parking. Walked down the beach a bit and had a couple of adult beverages :)

The hotel was very safe - interior corridors and always seemed to be some staff in the lobby when you went in and out. Oh, and always free coffee in the lobby! Like I said we were 2 women travelling alone so I am aware of my surroundings - especially with my sister with me since I feel like I have to keep an eye on her safety too. There was a small parking garage next door that was (at that time) free. They had a nice free breakfast in the morning and more restaurants within walking distance on and around Las Olas.

It seemed like the focus of the hotel was more for the "business traveler" but we didn't feel like we stood out at all, being on vacation. Oh - they had a small pool and a hot tub but we only had a chance to get in once. It was in the shadow of the building most of the day so the water was a bit chilly.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2008
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I really liked staying here. The location was excellent. Now, I wouldnt roam around the area at night alone, but it was great during the day. I could walk down to Riverfront and the shops at Las Olas. It was a short drive to the beach and to the clubs and fabulousness that is Wilton Manors.

I liked the security, the free secured parking, the room was pretty nice (no fancy flat screen yet like other Hamptons) but a nice bed. The price was much lower than any other comparable hotel in the area. I paid under $100/ night in FL on Christmas with a free breakfast and free parking and free wifi. The breakfast crew was fun and great. The front desk crew was fun and helpful. I stayed there for 2 nights and enjoyed it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo