“Bahia Beach is as horrible a hotel as I have EVER stayed in!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Bahia Beach Hotel

Bahia Beach Hotel
Ranked #106 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Portland, OR
“Bahia Beach is as horrible a hotel as I have EVER stayed in!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2006

I will never stay at this hotel again. I lasted less than an hour before I became so irritated at the filth of the place, the primitive conditions, the run-down rooms and common areas, the wireless internet that did not work, and the owner's steadfast insistence that nothing was wrong. I left in a huff and will do all I can to let people know what I have experienced.

First, there was no one at the desk. When I finally got to my room, in a slum-like hallway with chipped paint and dirty paths, I arrived in a filthy room. I ran my fingers across the counters and bathtub and they were completely dark brown with one swipe. I have never seen such filth in my life -- 27 years of staying in hotels and this was the worst. I would have picked up the phone, but there was none in the room. Again, not mentioned on the website. I used my cell to call the owner, who asked whether I could wait until morning for the maid to do clean up. I said no. I then found crumbs and other junk on the shelves in the kitchen. The inside of the coffee mugs were covered with dirt and other junk.

The wireless internet did not work, as promised. The owner claims he tried to fix it, "bending over backwards" -- in his words, but it only made it worse.

I told the owner I could not stay there. He said I'd have to pay for that night. I said I'd sooner call the police and the hotel regulators than stay there another night. He then said, "Get out" and said he'd refund my money. As I waited for my cab, he proceeded to insult me, saying, "I don't know what you do for a living that you need 15 bags." I had four bags, and I am on a book tour. I am also a mediator with a law degree and told him this. That he would get so personally insulting based on his own bad behavior showed what I viewed as immaturity on his part. He called me "Unbelievable" and when I said "Wow!" he mocked me as I walked out the door.

I will NEVER, EVER, AS LONG AS I LIVE return to this poorly-described hotel. If you want to be treated poorly and sleep in a filthy room, this is the place for you.
It was not worth $80+ a night that I paid.

• Liked — That I got to leave after less than an hour
  • Disliked — The jerk of an owner, the no wireless internet, the jerk owner, the filthy rooms, the jerk owner, the chipped paint, the jerk owner, the dirty tub, the jerk owner, the no phone, the jerk owner, the bugs on the couch, the jerk owner, the chipped tiles, the jerk owner
  • Tips/Secrets — Never stay here
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank matthewmhouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2006

The manager who seems to be the only one there has no standard of cleanliness. The rooms are not clean. you feel unconfortable in bed wondering whether the sheets were ever cleaned after the last person was here. Was also scared there might be bed bugs as we saw lots of other insects creeping around. bathroom smelt of urine probably from not cleaning the floor for weeks. It just needs a real good clean. And the manager was so rude telling us to go elsewhere if we didnt like it but of course we had alreaday paid upfront and so he would not reimburse any of it. Even for the days we were able to give him 24 hrs notice. Never would i ever stay here again !

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank Julesboston2

Travellers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2006

We got a great mid week deal in a large efficiency on the fourth floor. Our front balcony overlooked the Marina which had the most beautiful yachts pulling in and out daily. The hotel is also one block away from the beach next door to the Sheraton Yankee Clipper.

If you are on a tight budget and want an amazing location and a large room this place is for you. If you are a primadonna and are expecting the Sheraton's amenities, I would suggest you go there instead, probably pay quadruple the price as well.

The proprietor "Pro" is a gem, we a had a lovely conversation with him, he gave us the low down on what to see and do around Fort Lauderdale.

The best was the water taxi, just about a block and a half away.

This place is by no means perfect, think of it as a budget hotel at a resort location. the bathrooms/linens/kitchens need to be upgraded but I guess the rate per night would then also be upgraded.

If you need to be by the beach or marina but don't have a huge wallet, and have reasonable expectations then this is a nice place with seemingly a super friendly manager who will try to make everything right for you.

-Erica

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank fllbeachbum
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2006

This hotel was our last resort. To be honest it is no 10 or even a 5. but things in the end turned out great! met some amazing people and will remember SPRING BREAK 98' the rest of my life...despite the fact that we never got towels, had no door handle, and almost got kicked out every night! we love you pro!

Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2006

We spent a week in FL and accommodation arrangements were made prior to leaving home secondary to a very tight schedule. We had delightful experiences everywhere we stayed except for the Bahia Beach Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. This place was filthy. The toilet was shimmed w/ slices of concrete blocks and steadied with Quickcrete. There wasn't a curtain on bathroom window which looked out on walkway so the shower had to be quick and with a "lookout". Kitchette was advertised. There was a puddle on floor in this "kitchenette" so I opened frig door and hinges were rusted off and the door fell to the floor. I asked for ice and manager said the facility had none. Bedroom was large and there was one low-watt light bulb. Orbitz already had our money and this place "had us" for those pre-paid nights. We had no time to haggle w/ Orbitz and didn't want to pay for another accommodation when this was already paid for. Contacted owner/mgr who was very loud, argumenative, and unwilling to listen or to make any type of restitution. Since Orbitz doesn't stand behind their hotels' description of their facilities, then we will not book through them again. It goes without saying, we'll steer clear of this Bahia Beach Hotel joint and urge you to do likewise.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2006

No towels or washcloths, no telephone, full of roaches, no service at front desk after 7:30 P.M., floor filthy, no room service (cleaning) Would not stay here again if they paid me. P.S. Manager did not care what anybody thought. Said to go somewhere else. Try that with no notice during the tourist season!!!!

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2005

After i had reservations canceled at another hotel the Bahia Beach had a few rooms and it turned out for the best. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. My flight didn't leave until 6:00 at night and everyone i was staying with left in the morning and they were all nice enough to let me keep the room for the whole day. A few hours before my flight left i called for a cab and an hour later it still didn't show up so one of the employees gave me a ride to the airport. The staff helped us turn what we thought was going to be a nightmare vacation in to a great one. If i travel back to fort lauderdale i will be staying at the Bahia Beach!

• Stayed November 2005