“A Beaut”

Tranquilo
Ranked #39 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“A Beaut”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights. We came from a hotel that was about twice the price (which was gorgeous) nearby, so quite an act to follow. The Tranquilo lived up to our expectations and the staff were very pro-active, and couldn't do enough to make sure our stay was enjoyable. A great place, close to the beach, and a lot of effort as gone in to make it modern and comfortable.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank John P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night this past Saturday. Overall a very nice property. When we arrived we were greeted very warmly by Kimberly! Offered us an upgraded room for $10 more so we took it. She gave us maps of the area, 2 bottles of water and personally showed us to our room which was a very nice touch! You can tell this hotel had recently been remodeled. The room was big with a king-sized bed, kitchenette, a little dining table and a flat screen tv. Everything was VERY clean. I mean, impeccably clean and very modern which I happen to like. The hotel is only 1 block from the beach and within walking distance to most things in Ft. Lauderdale. You really can't beat the location and they have free parking. That is something that is very rare these days. Now, onto just a couple of things that were negative for us. Firstly, the bathroom. I'm a little over 5'8" and my husband is almost 6' tall so, it was very difficult for us to sit on the toilet and face forward. My feet hit the shower and my knees were in the shower curtain. Just simply not enough room and the sink was very small. No counter space. When you opened the door to the bathroom it almost hit the sink so there really is no room to make it larger. The walk-in shower was HUGE and clean which was lovely, however, there is no shelving in the shower for toiletries. They have a shampoo dispenser on the wall of the shower but that's it. So, the bathroom was just awkward. That, and the toilet paper holder kept falling off the wall. I did forget to mention this to management so I hope the cleaning person saw it and had someone fix it. The only other negative was the mattress. I like firm mattresses but this was just a little too firm for me. I kept waking up every hour or so because I was sore from sleeping in one position. My husband also thought the mattress was uncomfortably firm. Anyway, other than the bathroom and the mattress, it really is a wonderful hotel. The next time we go back, we will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank golfgal5674
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Tranquilo, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
golfgal5674,
Thanks so much for your detailed review. We love hearing about what our guests enjoyed at Tranquilo, and it's extremely important for us to know about the things we can improve on. We will definitely look into the items you mentioned and are already looking forward to your next visit! Thanks again, NBVR
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I were in Ft. Lauderdale for a friend's 40th birthday celebration this past weekend. My husband's birthday was in a week and we wanted to spend some time together just the two of us. My research online took me to Tranquilo and it looked great on Tripadvisor. I booked it and when we arrived we were met by Amanda at the door to the office. She was very friendly while making sure we had all the information we needed, She offered us a choice of two rooms based on our input. You can tell upon arrival that the property had been recently renovated. There are 2 beautiful pools with ample seating serving the 2 buildings that make up the property. Each building has two floors. We chose the top floor and were given a corner unit, the deluxe king studio.

As we walked in we were dazzled by the brightness of the room and the simple clean lines of the furnishings. The walls and furnishings are white except for a few accents. We loved the terrazzo floors! It felt as if we were the first ones to stay in the room, it was so clean and everything was new. There were 2 flat screen TVs, one in the living room area and one in front of the king size bed. The kitchenette had a small fridge/freezer, a 2 burner stovetop built into the cabinetry, microwave and sink, along with ample cupboard space. All kitchenware was provided. If you have ever been to IKEA you will recognize their stamp on the decor.

The beach is 2 short blocks away. We had dinner at Seasons 52 in the Galleria Mall which was a 5 minute drive away. There are numerous places to eat, drink and be merry along the beachfront.

Back inside our little hideaway we spent a relaxing evening and felt very safe. WiFi was sporadic so in the end we abandoned trying to get online. Things were very quiet. We even hung out outside our room for a while looking at the stars and just enjoying the Florida warmth. We both wish we could have stayed there a whole week as it really was what I had hoped for when I booked. It exceeded my expectations and we have already told our friends about it. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Tranquilo, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Sharon C,
Happy late birthday to your husband! Why don't you let us help you plan his next birthday? We can accommodate large parties or help with a romantic weekend for two. We can even do the catering! That way you never have to leave! Thanks again, see you soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Just a block from the beach in Fort Lauderdale I found a most exquisite hotel. Completely remodeled with an Art Deco feel this place is great! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. And they are also exceptionally clean. Something I look for in the many hotels I stay in. Amanda, who was the girl who helped me out, was absolutely wonderful. She was friendly, overly helpful, and very accommodating to all of my needs. She really made me feel like I was home. Great personality, awfully cute and she does a great, great job! I really loved my stay here and will definitely come back!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tdenkin
Clifton Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I am from upstate NY and had to stay in Fort Lauderdale for one evening last week and ended up spending an amazing night at the Tranquilo. This is definitely not your typical chain hotel. From my initial greeting until check-out, it was fabulous. The pictures do no justice. The outside was clean and very serene. As soon as my sister and I opened the door to the room, we were in complete awe- we felt like movie stars. The room is NYC meets Miami. Sleek, classy, and 'Tranquilo'. I really cannot say enough about our stay. When we checked out, we were lucky enough to meet the owner who was extremely kind and hospitable. Last but not least, you are in a very short walking distance to the beach, shops, and restaurants. I will be coming back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SarahAudi
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I put "Hotel" in quotations marks because The Ocean Gate hotel runs more like a Extended Stay Room. (It is also the partner hotel to "Tranquilo" across the road, which is where you check in and out of)
The hotel does NOT offer breakfast or any kind of meals, it solely provides the room and daily room service. There is a pool, but the location of the pool was quite poorly planned, as it is at the center of the hotel. So that as soon as anyone walks out of their room they are looking out onto the pool. You can visit the sister hotel across the street an use their pool, which is in a more secluded location (better but not optimal as it's right by the road).

The service was excellent, Amanda checked me in and was very friendly and informative.
And the both the check in and check out process was done extremely quickly.

The room we stayed in was very well put together. We had 2 beds, a tv (with limited channels), a kitchen with a good amount of silverware, pots and pans, closet, and elegant bathroom. The beds were low and extremely comfortable, with white sheets and firm pillows.

The hotel is a five minute walk away from Fort Lauderdale Beach and you are within walking distance to many different restaurants.

The parking is limited when the hotel is full, but you are able to park across the street at their sister hotel, though while we were there that space was also limited.

If you're looking for a hotel full amenities, then the Ocean Gate is NOT for you. But we were looking for a hotel with a beautiful room (with kitchen), and that would be in nice area and in walking distance to different activities, if that is also what you are looking for then The Ocean Gate is the RIGHT hotel for you.

Room Tip: I'd choose a room on the second floor. The first floor rooms open up directly to the pool.