“I won't forget about it, again!”

Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 25 August 2011

When I originally booked a trip to Ft. Lauderdale with my wife to visit friends, I had forgotten I previously stayed at the Atlantic. Instead, I booked a suite at the Pelican Grand Beach Resort. Although this is not a review of that hotel, I have to start my comments there. When we arrived at the Pelican Grand Beach at 12:40AM, there was no bellman to assist with our bags. Upon going to the check-in desk, we were advised that the water in the hotel would be shut-off in 20 minutes for a plumbing upgrade. We were shocked that we were given no warning about this planned work when we booked our room and decided to stay somewhere else where we could bathe after an evening of traveling.

Our travel agent in LA found availability for us at both the nearby W and the Atlantic, but we could get a full suite at the Atlantic for the same price as a room at the W, making the choice easy.

Upon arrival at the Atlantic, I recognized it from a prior stay. The fact I forgot about says more about me having a "senior moment" than the quality of the hotel. The Atlantic is everything a good boutique hotel should be. It is a manageable size, with creative yet comfortable decor, a friendly staff and, most important to me, large rooms (I have only stayed there in suites, but I am not certain if it is an all suite hotel).

Although we did not arrive until 1:15AM, there was a bellman ready to assist with our bags and the front desk clerk was affable and efficient. Although we only stayed for one night, it was a thoroughly enjoyable visit and I will definitely not forget about this lovely hotel for my next trip to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AviatorMR
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Dear AviatorMR,

We are so happy to know that we had such a wonderful impact on your stay with us for just one night is what we strive to create!

We look forward to seeing you again and please let me know if I can assist with your next stay with us!

Jon Goldberg

Write a ReviewReviews (2,056)

Reviewed 24 August 2011

This is my second stay at The Atlantic and instead of addressing every pro and con of the property, I wanted to particularly focus on the exceptional service I received during our stay in mid-August. I cannot express how accommodating the staff was during our stay. Highly efficient, very personable, and extremely service-oriented. It makes a huge difference when you are treated as if you were the only one on the property and that was our experience during our stay. Hence I wanted to personally thank the following staff who went above and beyond to ensure our stay was most enjoyable: Peter at the bell desk; Marija and Lucretia at the front desk; Raynan, Sam, and Patrick at Trina; and all of the spa staff. We hope to see you again in the fall!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Raleone1

Dear Raleone1,

We are so thankful to know that you recognized our outstanding staff as their desire is to exceed our guest expectations! We will personally thank each of them individually for you and pass this information along.

We look forward to seeing you again, and please feel free to contact me at ----------- so that I can assist in your next stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Have recently returned from a 2 night stay at The Atlantic Resort and Spa in Fort Lauderdale. The service, friendliness and attention was exemplery throughout our stay.
We were delighted to be told we had been given a room upgrade, especially when told we had been moved to the Oceanfront 2 bedroomed penthouse. What a room, on the 16th floor with views to die for over the beachfront with every luxury available. Large lounge area with integrated kitchen area and 2 double bedrooms with fantastic views and huge bathrooms / jacuzzi baths.
In truth, we'd have had a fantastic stay with our original rooms, but for 2 days we lived a life that would be hard to better.
Our original destination was planned to be miami but after visiting there for an afternoon, we definitely got a better hotel with a better beach with a much quieter atmosphere that suited us better for less than half the price.
If we are in the area again, i wouldn't consider using any other hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NedSouthampton

Dear NedSouthampton ,

We are so happy to know we were able to exceed your expectations with a lovely upgrade to our Penthouse suite! That room truly is breathtaking and while we can not always offer it we are so happy to know that you enjoyed it!

Until next time,

Reviewed 23 August 2011

This was a quick local get away for us. We were greeted with extremely friendly faces when we arrived. The valet gentlemen were quick and courteous, loading our luggage on their cart which we appreciated since it seems most places these days expect you to carry your own upstairs. We were checked in by Jarvis who is really a great guy. Our room wasn't ready yet but he made sure that we had a something to do (drinks at the pool) and a plan of action for when the room was ready. We also saw Jarvis a few more times over our stay and he really stood out. Definitely makes a great first impression and continued representation for the hotel. Food was pretty good. We had snacks at the pool and one dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. I think the pool menu could have more variety. All in all, we had a very nice stay and will definitely go back.

1  Thank Louise34731
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Dear Louise34731,

Thank you for the great comments about Jarvis as he is truly a shining star here at our Resort!

We hope to see you again and please feel free to contact me at jgoldberg@atlantichotelfl.com should you need assistance.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

After having a not so good experience a couple of months ago we decided to give it another try because Mr. Goldberg was so nice . We went last week and had a wonderful experience !!! Our room was beautiful ( best shower ever ) overlooking the beach and pool . Everyone in the whole hotel was so nice , had a great lunch by the pool . We are thinking of returning in Sept. and bringing some friends !!! You will not be dissappointed if you stay here !!!

Dear flmaggie,

We are so happy to know that we turned your negative experience around and your expectations were exceeded with us at The Atlantic Resort and Spa! We can not wait to see you again and please feel free to reach out to me directly for anything.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

I cannot believe the value for this hotel. We booked the educator special. We arrived very early at 12:30 and they were able to check us in at 2:30. But in the meantime we had access to the spa. I was able to use their locker for my clothes etc. while we went to the beach. You can also use the sauna, jacuzzi, and fitness room free of charge.
Our room was SPOTLESS. The kitchenette was perfect. We had pots, pans, a colander, cutting knives, soap, and about 4 place settings. We did have a handicap room 807. It did make it difficult for us to shower, I am 5'10" and my husband is 6'1". The bed was comfortable because it is VERY soft. I know some people like firm beds. There were 2 closets in the room and about 4 chairs not counting the ones on the balcony. The balcony was oceanfront which is perfect (my husband is a smoker).The housekeepers do come into the room twice to clean up. I sure wish I had that at home.... We always had an abundance of towels. The housekeeper also organized our stuff. (You know you kinda unpack and run to the beach) She lined up my husbands colognes in height order on the dresser. Little details that make you smile.

The wireless internet was a little slow in the evenings but there is 2 computers and a printer in the lobby. Plus they have a screen with updated flight information.

The valets, front desk and staff were always very nice and helpful. The manager Josh did make an effort to introduce himself to us, which was a plus. The pool was great it was never too busy. We never went to eat dinner at Trina but we had the vouchers for breakfast and ate there everyday. I truly enjoyed this perk. The voucher is for $14 each and most of the items on the menu are just that and the bill was never over $11 including the mandatory tip. The breakfast was a little "gourmet" for us. But the simplified us if we asked. Samuel the waiter was amazing!!

My only complaint was the bartenders. We went to the pool bar and the bartender there did make the drinks a little strong. We also cashed in our vouchers at Trina one night and the bartender there did not make the best drinks.

I really felt luxurious when I came to this hotel. It had so many amenities and was beautiful. I am truly happy with the service and cleanliness of this resort. It was trendy and chic and made me feel like a millionaire every time I worked into the lobby. I would definitely recommend it to all of my friends and if and when we come back to Ft Lauderdale.

Dear SuMSam777,

We are so happy that you were able to enjoy our hotel and we are thrilled that our staff from the front office to the amazing housekeepers exceeded your expectations as this is what we strive to do!

We hope to see you again and please feel free to contact me directly to assist at jgoldberg@atlantichotelfl.com

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I found The Atlantic Hotel highlighted as a having a special one-day at random and my husband and I decided to go for a weekend getaway to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando. This is a boutique hotel, and being so indicated to me that my expectations should be raised. I feel like the hotel does a lot of things right, but needs to work on a few minor things.

The room that I got, and the rate that I got it at was amazing for the location and the quality of what you were getting. The room was very spacious and had an ocean view, which was a very large ocean view. The downside was the hotel it overlooked next door, which was a bit dumpy- but The Atlantic can't help that. A downside in the room was the lack of information. Generally, almost every single hotel/motel/boutique hotel/resort/etc that I have stayed in features a small book of sorts which outlines information regarding the hotel: I.e. hours of the business center, information on the spa and pool area- hours of operation, room service, is there Wi-fi, what time is the gym open, things to do in the area, etc. etc. There was no such book to be found in our room on this occasion. There was a randomly photocopied room service menu in one of the many drawers and I did find a spa menu laying around elsewhere, but that was about it- with the exception of some books and magazines in the living area.

There were only a few other minor negatives with our room. One being that there is a desk located in the room which is literally probably 3 feet away from the bed. Accompanying that desk is a very large chair which doesn't even fit under the desk, therefore it leaves about 8-10 inches from the back of the chair to the bed. We had to literally move the chair into the opposite corner of the room for our stay. There was plenty of room to the right of the bed- several feet, so the bed could probably be pushed over to make this a little more of a livable space.

The room contained shutters on the windows, instead of curtains in our bedroom, which ended up being ok as we didn't face the rising sun, but if you like blackout curtains and your room to be dark, I can only imagine on ocean facing rooms you will be woken up by the sun in the morning.

The location is very good, located off of A1A, but it is situated in my opinion at the far end of "the action" of this area of Fort Lauderdale so it was a bit of a hike in sweltering heat to get to places. There is a water taxi available (not connected in affiliation with the hotel), but that is about a 10-15 minute walk to get to help get you around without needing your car.

I went to the spa while I was there and was able to get a 1/2 price facial and massage while I was there. The facial was very good and I feel like I got my money's worth, however I was a bit disappointed in the massage because my appointment was for 9am, and I was there prior to 9am, yet I wasn't brought into he room until 9:05 and by the time I was situated and the massage probably actually didn't start until 9:10, yet I was up and off the table at a little after 9:45. Hardly a 50 minute massage in my opinion, so I was grateful to be able to have only paid 1/2 the price.

I was a bit disappointed in the general pool area for a couple of reasons… No towels available. I had to wait for probably 15 minutes when I first got to the pool, as there were no more towels. It was taking so long I actually went back up to my room to get my bath towels. There is also a sign-out sheet for your towels next to t and I truly don’t understand the concept behind this. It mentioned something about $25 for towels… I can’t even begin to explain any further…

I tried to get a drink at the pool bar while I was out there and the bartender was either new, or inexperience, or slow or all of the above because he cold not multi task and I waited for at least 5-7 minutes for him to even acknowledge I was there, as I was the only one at the time waiting while he only tended to one group of women at the far end of the bar. 4 more people showed up waiting to order as well, and I decided I was just tied or waiting around for service (towels first now the bar) and walked away without ordering anything.

We had a drink in the hotel's bar/restaurant, Trina when we first arrived and also had breakfast the following two mornings here. Most of my gripes about our stay will lie in this area of the hotel. When we went in for a drink the first night, it was very quiet, which was fine since it was only 5 in the evening and everything was pretty much ok at that point with the exception that the lounge type seats in the bar were under the air condition unit type area and it was so hot outside vs cold inside that for most of the length of this seating area water from the unit dripped on me. Not a huge deal, just a little gross.

The next morning we had a pretty ok breakfast at about 830am. Our waiter recommended we not take the buffet bc there were no sternos. I took this to mean that either they don't use sternos for the buffet therefore the food was going to be cold or either they needed to go get ore sternos bc they were out, and therefore the food was cold. I didn't want the buffet either way, so it didn't bother me. I ordered something with chorizo, potatoes and fried eggs and it was good, but a tad on the greasy side.

The next morning I had decided that I wanted to have banana pancakes from having seen the menu the day before. About 10-15 minutes after our order had been taken by our waitress a gentleman, presumably a manger of some sort came out to tell us that there were no bananas and they had sent someone out 20 minutes prior to get some, but they had not returned and asked if I wanted the pancakes without the bananas. Of course, that's not what I wanted and I said I would wait a little to see if someone appeared. In the meantime, my husband’s steak and eggs were ready and I told them to bring it out to him for him to eat while we waited.

About 10 mins after that, and almost as my husband was finished his breakfast, the manger person came out again with a menu to see what else I wanted to order. Generally speaking, I probably could have gotten eggs, but I just wasn't in the mood for them and really was craving the banana pancakes. I told him I really just didn't want anything besides the pancakes and didn't want to order anything else.

A short while later a bowl of fruit showed up for me to nibble on while I waited for the bananas to materialize, which was nice. My husband finished his meal and I was pretty much just tired of sitting there waiting and was ready to go and get something somewhere else down the street, when a plate of banana pancakes appeared in front of me... and they really were some of the best ones I have ever had. At least I knew the bananas were fresh! I had ordered a glass of skim milk to have with them when we first sat down and it was now time for me to drink it. Either the warmth of us sitting outside waiting for an inordinate amount of time for these pancakes had made the milk warm up and spoil or the milk was starting to turn sour to begin with. Even my husband, who drinks a gallon of milk a week thought it was bad, so I sent back the milk for 2% instead and it tasted much better.

In the end, although we had a voucher as a part of our package for $34 dollars in credit towards breakfast each morning, we ended up not paying anything even though we would have needed to and we still left our waitress (Myna, I think her name was) a tip because she really was great, helpful, and pleasant through what I can imagine for a waitress is a bit of a stressful situation where she can't control what the kitchen has on hand.

All in all, I am hoping I just had some bad luck and would recommend this hotel to others, but probably would try another location if I were to return unless I could get another good deal on the room rate in the future.

Dear lksium19,

Thank you very much for your detailed account of your stay with us as there is certainly some areas that need to be addressed as these are not represented well in our hotel and for that we apologize.

We do hope that these issues do not deter you from returning to us in the future and I would like to also have you please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@atlantichotelfl.com so that I could assist in your next stay.