“BEST hotel in Fort Lauderdale - the only option from now on!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Atlantic Hotel & Spa

The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Los Angeles, CA
“BEST hotel in Fort Lauderdale - the only option from now on!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

I just recently returned from a long weekend at the Atlantic, and could not have been more delighted with the resort and its location, room, facilities, and above-all, superlative hospitality.

The trip was a birthday gift from me to my Dad, and when we arrived very early on Friday morning after a red-eye flight from LAX, we were greeted with exceptional friendliness by Sheryl Luke, who promptly and graciously upgraded our already-reserved “oceanfront” room to a higher floor and allowed us check-in early to get some much needed rest.

I had high expectations of the room and was not disappointed! The room was huge, with two queen beds, tastefully decorated with a lovely balcony jetting out towards the Atlantic. There was also a functional and convenient kitchenette complete with refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, plates, flatware, microwave, and 2-stove top burner, as well as a large marble bathroom with separate tub and shower, two sinks, and separate room for toilet. The beds were extremely comfortable and the linens and towels were excellent quality.

The hotel provided complimentary newspapers daily (and not USA Today! ;)) There is usually some combination of the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Miami Herald. There is free WI-FI in the hotel rooms and throughout the property, but there is also a business center for complimentary computer use/printing, and a separate computer dedicated to flight check-in. They also have a flat screen tv mounted on the wall with the most current flight information from the airport, so that you can track if your flight is on time. On our final day, our flight did not leave until almost 8p.m. at night, and not only could we store our bags, but we could use the very luxurious spa locker rooms to have a jacuzzi, sauna, shower, change, etc. The locker room had copious amounts of sundries and made for an excellent 'final impression' of the hotel. I've stayed in other properties, where their "hospitality suite" for showering/changing after check-out is appalling - like a communal room with no shampoos or limited towels. I was basking in the serenity and luxury of the Atlantic's spa facilities getting ready for my flight. I should add that these spa facilities are open to guests their entire stay, unfortunately, we just didn't visit it until after check-out.

Over our four day stay, we received only the best in service from every staff member with whom we came in contact: the front desk, concierge, valet, bellmen, cocktail servers, housekeeping – we literally were treated like we were guests in their own home. Two individuals in particular stand out for their friendliness and wonderful service: Sheryl Luke obviously, and Catherine, the pool server – we had the most contact with the two of them because of the check-in process and our time spent out by the lovely pool. That brings me to another thing: the pool deck is fantastic – it wasn’t overly crowded even over Labor Day weekend, and they had a tasty and well-priced menu for food, snacks, and cocktails. It was like Heaven reclining on a lounger out by the pool on the 5th floor, overlooking the gorgeous beach, sipping Bahama Mamas, and enjoying the lovely breeze coming off the deck.

I could go on and on, but in short: I’m convinced this is the BEST place to stay in Southeast Florida! It’s a luxury resort, but it lacks pretension or snootiness, and is small enough to maintain an intimate feel and genuine hospitality. I had never stayed at the Atlantic before, and admittedly am a “Expedia” gal who will tend to go with the best deal in a 4-star class, but I can’t imagine going back to Fort Lauderdale (which I do annually) and not staying at the Atlantic. It has everything you need/want, and it all comes with a warm smile and helpful attitude!

I’m also copying below a letter my Dad has written to the General Manager of the hotel regarding our stay:

***

Dear Mr. Celnik:

My daughter and I recently stayed at your resort over the Labor Day weekend. The trip was a Birthday gift from my daughter. We flew from Los Angeles, Thursday evening, and arrived at your hotel Friday at 7:00 a.m. Entering the hotel’s front door, I remember seeing a big smile, glimmering just above the front desk. As my daughter and I were exhausted, and barely awake, I cannot adequately describe the welcome sign that ‘parade of teeth’ afforded. Lucky for us, the smile was attached to Ms. Sheryl Luke, the “Gold Standard” of front office hospitality! Ms. Luke provided us with a beautiful guestroom, and even arranged to have a piece of Birthday cake delivered there. Sheryl is one of those rare hotel professionals who treats hotel guests as though they are guests in her home. You are most fortunate to have Ms. Sheryl Luke as a member of your staff!

As a matter of fact, every hotel staff member, with whom we came in contact, was extremely friendly and helpful. Congratulations to you for the superb operation of your beautiful resort.

I look forward to returning sometime in the near future.

Lauren H.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are worth it! It's like being on a balcony of a cruise ship - nothing but expa...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lanikaigirl
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear lanikaigirl,

Wow, I am at a loss for words as the experience you shared is exactly what we want to deliver and strive to accomplish! The staff of our hotel is what sets us apart and because of Sheryl and Catherine you were able to enjoy your precious time together.

We look forward to seeing you again and our staff is very happy to have read this amazing review!

Jon Goldberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sac Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Thanks to the staff I had the best vacation. At Check in I was greeted by Josh and Michelle who gave me all there attention. I was amazed at the service in the spa, nothing but the best facilities for men and women!!!!
Thanks to Janete the concierge for helping us find all the hot spots in town. Rooms are very clean. I was upgraded to a ocean view suite that had the best view ever. Thanks again.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank CaliCid
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear CaliCid,

Thank you for the wonderful comments and we are thrilled to know that Josh, Michelle and Janete where able to exceed your expectations as we strive to create an amazing experience.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

My boyfriend and I just returned from a lovely 2-night stay at the Atlantic! We stayed in a very well-appointed ocean front room. The guest rooms are equipped with a kitchenette which was extremely useful to us. The bed was extremely comfy and we definitely enjoyed sitting out on our balcony relaxing to the sounds of crashing waves in the morning and evening.

From the moment we arrived everything was great! The valet & bellman greeted us and unloaded our rental car as we checked in. While there, we enjoyed a couples massage at the spa which was grand! I also stayed to enjoy the sauna, steam room and whirlpool. The spa was definitely a rejuvenating experience. The concierge (I think her name was Renee) helped us find some nearby water activities. We enjoyed our jet skis but unfortunately didn't get to try parasailing...next time for sure!

We didn't eat at Trina, but we did go down for cocktails one evening. The waitstaff, like every other staff member on the property, were extremely friendly and accommodating.

All in all it was a wonderful stay and we can't wait to return again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Missette03
Dear Missette03,

Thank you for your great comments and we are so happy to know that you truly enjoyed your experience with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back and next time we hope that you will be able to enjoy a meal at Trina and find time to parasailing!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

What a Spectacular weekend getaway!! All the hotel staff were incredible but most of all the Spa services and staff were Spectacular!!! A special thank you to Kim, Spa Director for organizing a perfect spa schedule & recommendations!! I highly recommend the signature treatments especially The Mediterean Lullaby and Orange
Blossom Facial!!
We also loved the surf lessons and paddleboarding. Dutch was a great instructor. He had me standing up on a board in less than an hour.We are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Krrod
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
Dear Krrod,

It so nice to hear that you had such an amazing experience in our Spa as it truly is meant to be a place to relax and unwind. Also thank you for commenting on Kim as she is truly a key member to our Spa's success.

Until next time,
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

My wife and I went down for a weekend getaway the last weekend of August. This hotel was excellent. I saw that some of the posters said that the neighborhood isnt the best. I thought it was perfect. We parked the car on Thursday night and walked to phenomenal restaurants and great little beach bars from the hotel every night. Not once did we have to get back in the car. The hotel staff is professional. They really pay attention to the little things. They found out we were celebrating a weekend getaway and sent fresh cookies and a very nice card to us. They also upgraded our room to a suite. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WPBLKKNGHT
Dear WPBLKKNGHT,

Wow, thank you for the great comments and enjoying our tranquil neighborhood as it is the ideal location for a pampering experience.

We look forward to seeing you again and please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@atlantichotelfl.com

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I am presently sitting in the airport waiting to board my flight leaving cloudy Fort Lauderdale to return to the Windy City - Chicago. We just spent five fabulous days at The Atlantic Resort and Spa. Our stay began as we entered the lobby greeted by a wonderful scent that they have piped in through the ventilation system. We were greeted by a desk manager and received an upgrade that was not requested but much appreciated. The guest suite was very nice as is the entire hotel. The outdoor foyer and the lobby are very sexy; as are all of the public areas. The beach area was not crowded as I guess we made it to Fort Lauderdale on the downside of the season. Fine by us. We got around using the transit system. It was a great stay. Everyone from the front desk ( day and night staff) crew, housekeeping, the concierge, staff at the restaurant and the pool staff were always very pleasant and helpful. Sorry i did not get any names but I will definitely on my next visit as we do plan to return ----- maybe for a Bears game next season.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank clark9020
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear clark9020,

Thank you for the great note, and we truly appreciate the comments!! We hope to see you again as we know the Chicago winters can be quiet harsh and what better place to escape to than Ft. Lauderdale.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Wow, where do I begin? The property is lovely. We had an ocean view suite that was very nice. Check-in was seemless and the front desk staff were very friendly.

There are not many restaurants near the hotel, so you have to either walk or take a cab/bus to the heart of the Fort Lauderdale beach area. Not a good thing when traveling with kids. One tip, the small hotel next door has a nice "inexpensive" breakfast and the usual stuff kids love... pancakes/waffles.

My biggest problem was the lack of good service at the pool. Most of the time, I found myself walking to the bar to place an order for food and drinks. Some were served poolside and others were not... Which was very interesting. There did not seem to be a reason for why some were served and others were not. I tried not to take things too seriously, but this will definitely determine whether or not I return. When vacationing, I absolutely love great service. I felt the Atlantic did not meet this expectation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ms-Etiquette
JonGoldberg_Fl, Director of the Front Office at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Dear Ms-Etiquette,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and while your initial impression of the hotel was great with our welcoming and friendly Front Desk staff, we are sorry that this did not carry through to our Ocean Terrace on the 5th floor as we will certainly address the issues that you experienced as this is not what we wish to deliver in a luxury hotel.

I do hope that you will return in the future and please feel free to contact me directly at jgoldberg@atlantichotelfl.com so that I can ensure your next stay with us is flawless.