“Great hotel on the water”

The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

The Atlantic Hotel's service is on another level. Everyone was incredibly nice and genuinely so. The location is perfect and literally across from the beach. All of the rooms have balconies and at least a partial ocean view. We got a great low price deal so I can't complain but if you're paying full price then I have to say some of the decor feels slightly dated and is starting to show wear and tear (the wallpaper in our bathroom was peeling and there were stains on our bed skirt). Again I can't complain when taken in totality of the experience but something to consider for the fairly high price point. If service is important then this place has it in spades. I would highly highly recommend it and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Daniela, We're so happy you think we're on another level. It's our pleasure to serve you. Thanks also for your constructive criticism. We are taking it to heart as look for ways to improve. We can't wait to see you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,084)

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife, myself and my in-laws returned from a beautiful 7 day vacation in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida from August 3rd-August 10th at the Atlantic Resorts & Spa. Although we have been to Florida before in places such as Miami, Orlando, Boca Raton etc, we had never been to Ft. Lauderdale so after our cousin had just came back from Ft. Lauderdale, we had decided on taking a trip ourselves to see how great it was as per our cousin’s review of it. First and foremost, I would like to say that the hotel was absolutely amazing and perfectly placed overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. I would say it’s the best hotel on the strip and comparable if not better than it’s competing hotels such as the W and the Ritz Carlton. It is centrally located so you can walk, take a trolley or a short taxi ride to restaurants, bars or the lively and fun-filled Las Olas boulevard which we did on a couple of nights. My father in-law was in a wheelchair which he only needs for long distances, not while in the room or at restaurants but we still were a little worried about as I wasn’t sure how convenient it would be for him to get around both in the hotel and when we went out. Let me be the 1st to say that at the Atlantic, they were very accommodating and understood our situation. We had booked 2 ocean front suites both for myself and my wife and one for my in-laws where my wife and I were unexpectedly and pleasantly upgraded to a 2 bedroom ocean front suite which was absolutely amazing. We were on the 11th floor and they perfectly placed my in-laws on the 6th floor, about 2 floors above the pool which was unexpectedly quiet so when we went to the beach he could see us and wave and we saw him to ensure his safety while we were away for a couple of hours swimming and enjoying the Florida sun. The rooms were very spacious, peaceful and impeccably cleaned in a timely manner, and waking up every morning looking at the vast, calm and beautiful Atlantic Ocean while sipping your morning coffee or at night looking at the starry sky from the large furnished balcony was a dream within itself. We wish we could have stayed there forever just for that but one has to go back to the reality and for us, the New York Minute . The beaches were heavenly, the water was calm, warm and a pleasure to swim in that we could have stayed there all day and night if we didn’t have anywhere else to go. Of course, my wife and I got burnt at first as that Florida sun is a strong one but after swimming every day in the beautiful Atlantic Ocean, we came home with a nice bronze tan that made everyone jealous and us glowing. We also went to the pool at the hotel a couple of times but it was 4 feet at its deepest and not that large so we opted to primarily stay at the beach but I must admit it was very well kept, well manned in regards to bar and food-service and peaceful if you wanted to lounge around on their Miami inspired lounge chairs and beds while sipping on a refreshing soft-drink or cocktail and reading a book or looking at your Ipad/Kindle. The first night, we went to a restaurant called “Casablanca” which was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel and was amazing. There was a long wait, about 1 hour, but when they saw us with my father in-law being in a wheel chair and all, they jumped to seat us as soon as possible and took my father in-law up in an elevator for wheel chairs so he can have easy access to the table which I thought was amazingly considerate and greatly appreciated. The food was absolutely delicious and reasonable. We had fried calamari, mussels oreganata and crabcakes for appetizer family style and I had blackened grouper, my wife had the most delicious & tender filet mignon as she says with a Mediterranean spiced mushroom sauce and my in-laws split Mediterranean Spiced sea scallops for the entrée and we all loved our meal and we shared a nice bottle of Italian Red with it and of course ending with some sweets and espresso which is a must for both myself and my father in-law. The second night, we tried our luck at the Seminole casino in Hollywood, Florida. You need to take a taxi there which runs about $80 each way as it takes about 30 minutes to get there. The concierge was nice enough to book us a van that brought us there which made it easier for my father in-law since we had the wheelchair and a regular taxi wouldn’t have worked out. The hotel concierge also said that a taxi would cost more so it’s better to book through them, unfortunately I cannot confirm the validity of that as we didn’t even try to hail a cab on our own for that but if it was just myself and my wife, I would have informed myself better prior to spending $80 each way to get to the casino. We had asked the concierge where we can go for a decent Italian dinner by or in the casino as that’s where we were going that night…well, that’s a story within itself. One of the hotel concierge’s recommended a place to us that she deemed to be the best called “Martorano’s”. Now, I understand that she didn’t know us from a hole in the wall or what we like or are used to but I can tell you this, since we are from New York City and are both very well versed in fine dining, we know what’s exceptional, good, fair or no good. I would say that this place was just fair in terms of quality of food like a local Italian restaurant wherever you might live but with a “Dom Perignon” price tag, nothing to write home about..It was nicely decorated but unfortunately you can’t eat the walls or table /chairs. My wife had a crab cake for appetizer, I had 5 pieces of prosciutto and salami and some cheese on a plate and my in-laws split baked clams for appetizer and for entrée I had linguini with clam sauce, my wife has lasagna and my in-laws split linguini with clam sauce as well and we each had a simple cocktail like a gin and tonic or a vodka 7-up using mid-shelf liquor and a glass of house wine with our entrees…and we split 2 desserts amongst 4 people…well, when the bill came, I almost fell off my chair…$638 and they automatically added a 20% tip on top of that…I have never seen a piece of lasagna made of pasta, cheese and ground beef cost $36, or a linguini with clam sauce cost $58 per portion, or 4 pieces of salami & prosciutto combo with 4 pieces of cheese for $35 and 6 bakes clams for $28, not even at the Waldorf Astoria or Plaza Hotel restaurant in NYC so with that said, if you don’t have pockets full of money or don’t want to spend that much for a pasta dinner, please beware when recommended there. Unfortunately, the concierge neglected to tell us that and we were dumbfounded which was very inconsiderate on her part but I don’t know what to say at this point, all I can do is warn you. If we had eaten lobster, filet mignon, oysters and had a couple bottles of a Pouilly Fuisse French wine or Santa Margherita Italian, I’d completely understand but not for a pasta dinner that you can have at your local pizzeria and that takes like your local pizzeria but end up paying $700. Luckliy, God was with us as after having the bitter taste in our mouths after leaving the restaurant so, we went to try our luck on the slots and won a little bit so it’s lessened the hurt in the hole in the wallet a little bit. Since, we had a full kitchen in the room we decided to go to the local grocery store which is Publix, one which has one of the friendliest and most helpful staff I’ve ever encountered and is absolutely immaculate, well managed and maintained grocery stores I’ve ever been to. We bought a variety of veggies, meats, some delicious crab claws and of course some nice Italian wines and scrumptious desserts and cooked and enjoyed our meals in room for 4 night which was divine and also alleviated the cost of going out to the local restaurants and well as the hassle for my father in-law to constantly go out. The last night we went to a beautiful and moderately priced restaurant called Casa D’angelo which the best concierge in the hotel, Lisa recommended us to as she said that was her favorite, and somewhere she was sure we’d be pleased with in all aspects and she was 100% correct. We had a delicious dinner starting with grilled octopus, bakes clams and broiled shrimps for appetizer then my wife had rack of lamb, I had a delicious broiled sea bass and my in-laws had broiled sea bass also as they are fish lovers, a nice bottle of wine and melt in your mouth desserts such as napoleon, tiramisu and of course I had to have my Italian espresso. Needless to say, we were very pleased in all ways. All in all, we had a great time and would love to return to Ft. Lauderdale in the future and definitely will be returning to this amazing hotel. Thank you again to everyone at the Atlantic hotel for taking care of us and accommodating to our needs as a family. A special thanks to Heidi, director of rooms operations for your consideration and accommodating us during our stay as well as an extra special thanks to the best concierge ever, Lisa Kennedy for always putting our needs first, the great advice by always keeping out best interest in mind but most importantly for your beautiful smile and kindness and making us feel at home and which gave my father in-law beautiful memories of Ft. Lauderdale that will last a lifetime.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank istromax11370
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Istromax, We are all very happy to hear how much fun you had when visiting us. We also like to hear the good and not so good experiences around town. It keeps our recommendations on target. It was a delight hosting you and your family. We can't wait to see you again. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

It is with great pleasure to give our feedback on our stay at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It was second to none. Your team from the start and right through our complete stay was impeccable. A true reflection of the management from he top down to all the departments.
Right from the moment we arrived Lacell was there to greet us with the outmost friendliest greeting. Along with all the valet employees speedy service throughout our stay.
Jarvis gave optimum service while checking us in. He was kind, professional and efficient into checking us into our rooms.
Thank you to your concierge team,Sheryl and Lisa for the awesome recommendations. All of them were bang on!!! Truly the friendliest and happiest ladies in the state of Florida!!!!
Last but not least thank you, Gene Fisher who's service from the hotels restaurant East End Brasserie was amazing, fast service and the food was yummy also!!!

Room Tip: Definitely book an ocean front room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Dear Travelbug, Your comments could not make me more proud. Thank you for staying with us and for recognizing our superb team members who make your experience a reality.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel is beautiful. We had a 2 bedroom beach front view with balcony access from all rooms. The room was equipped with a full kitchen. Beware of the loose door handles. We had 3 door handles fall off. The service was excellent. Valet parking is required for the hote. I can't recall the pricing. The hotel is expensive but it's worth the price and the experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Gummiebear, I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us. Thanks also for alerting us to the issue with the door handles in your room. I hope you can return and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We´ve spent last week of August with our family (2 adults; 2 chilcren 3 and 5) at the Atlantic which we had choosen because of its excellent ratings on Tripadvisor and Expedia;
for being a beach hotel and for having a kitchenette.

When you fly into Ft. Lauterdale, the hotel is just 15-20 minutes away from the airport by car.

Although it´s not one of the latest hotels built here, we were very pleased from the very first moment:
The staff has been always very helpful and friendly - everywhere throughout the entire hotel.

Check-in was quick; valet parking of 28$/night is a lot - but common in the area.
Our room was on the 8th floor and the expected "ocean view" was only parcial.

Be careful when booking.
There seem to be 3 different type of views: city view; ocean view and ocean front.
Only the ocean front rooms have full and direct ocean view.
Our ocean view room was located on the side of the hotel with "lateral beach view" - see pics.

The rooms were large and the living room had a large sofa-bed - and our girls loved it.
A large TV; Bose sound-system in the living room and a Bose radio-clock in the bedroom - nice.

Bedroom: very comfortable bed; from here, we had "city view". Very quiet room.

The kitchenette was complete - fridge; stovetop, microwave; cooking utensils - great for families with children. Daily cleaning; daily towel service - just perfect.

Internet: OK - although there were times where it didn´t work nor in the room nor in the lobby; they knew it and were trying to fix the problems.

Impressive also the bathroom and the shower (nice pressure; no hot-cold-hot water termperature variations).

The gym: clean; towels are provided;
all equipment relatively new and functional; nice variety of different machines and free weights;
even a foam-roller was available.

Pool: towels are provided here as well;
Although the pool area isn´t very big we got chair and a parasol in most of the cases.

Beach:
From the pictures I saw, I thought the hotel is located DIRECTLY ON the beach. Unfortunately, it´s not. There´s the N Fort Lauterdale Beach Blvd. to cross; a traffic light is right in front of the hotel. The beach itself: superb!

We enjoyed our stay here and like to come back.

Thanks to all the staff and to the management.

Room Tip: Make sure you book the view you want (ocean front, ocean, or city view)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tom_brd

Dear Tom, Thank you for staying with us and telling us about your experience. I am delighted to hear how our people made your stay memorable. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was our second stay here. The first time was a few years ago. We were looking forward to staying at the Atlantic and we were not disappointed. The location and property is great. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. We arrived early but they allowed us to use the facilities while they prepared our room. I suggest the ocean view. The room was luxurious and was an efficiency( not full)room with utensils and coffee maker etc.The pool is located about 5 floors up next to the gym and spa and the ocean view from there is awesome as well. The food and parking aren't cheap but the hotel makes up for it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Medic, I am thrilled that your return visit was everything you hoped it would be. We appreciate you making us your hotel of choice in Fort Lauderdale. We can't wait until your third visit.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were guests at this wonderful resort in one of the best locations in Ft.Lauderdale for two years consecutively and were more impressed and pleased each time. Upon entering the lobby, and juxtaposed to the bright sun outside, one is met with a calm and cool and Peaceful orchid infused environment. The lighting is low and comfortable, as well as is the seating. It envelopes one in a most delightful manner and one is instantly relaxed. We stayed in both a large suite on an upper floor with an ocean view, and an ocean front room that offered the sea as the view to be enjoyed at all hours. Each space was extremely comfortable and beautifully furnished, and immaculately clean. Pool-side offers a distinctly different flavor of, perhaps, the Cote d'Azur in the Twenties, complete with balustrade from which one could look at the endlessly beautiful turquoise sea. We dined at both restaurants for breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner. Never disappointed. The location of this resort is perfect for many areas that can be an easy walk from galleries to shopping in the Galleria to more funky venues. I cannot say enough positives about this resort. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ocean view suites on top floors are large, comfortable, sunny and have more than ample closets. The...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Firenze, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your business and your taking the time to share your experience.