“Nickel and Dimed for Some Shade”

The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nickel and Dimed for Some Shade”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

They charge over $30 just for an umbrella and a chair on the beach. When you go to a nice hotel and they charge you for stupid stuff it's just bad business (BTW I'm a business school professor at a top school). When you're hot and wanting some shade, even if for just 10 minutes to cool down, some dude comes by and demands money. It's just low-class.

I've stayed at the Hilton and they are similarly bad. I've also stayed at the Westin and they are better - they also have a nicer and more fun pool. The Pelican down the beach is also better in that regard. If you're okay with being treated like a second-class citizen, the place is nice otherwise. I'd go with the Westin or Pelican if I had to choose.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank happytravelernp
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
I am sorry that you were disappointed by the policies of our public beach. Unfortunately, the umbrellas and chairs on the beach are managed by the exclusive agent of our City and we are unable to to control pricing. We remain committed to not charging our guests for basic amenities as we have no resort fee and our Internet is complimentary. Thank you for passing on these comments and for being our guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I went here at Xmas 2013 and spent a couple of days here with my family before joining our cruise ship. The hotel was great, our rooms were excellent and enjoyed my stay. My issue is that 4 months after returning, this hotel debited my credit card for both rooms of our stay even though we had prepaid by booking through Virgin. I received no phone call from them to say they were going to do this.
I then had to phone the hotel and send about 6/7 emails as they couldn't find any invoice with Virgin. Once they realised their mistake (after three calls and about 4 emails) they then returned the money but did not take in to account the exchange rate and so left me short of funds and so meant sending more emails.
After another couple of emails they sent through some more money but still left me short. I even copied the General Manager on the last few emails but have had no apology from him and very little sympathy from the rest of the staff.
Definitely won't be using this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jalo1972
I am so sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately, dealing with a third-party agent can impose complications for the traveler and the hotel. Please know that we are committed to our guests' satisfaction and are willing to invest resources in resolving issues with those third parties.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Dear Atlantic Hotel and Spa,

Thank you for creating the perfect romantic, scenic , and welcoming honeymoon that my husband and I could ever have asked for.

From the moment that we walked into the beautifully decorated lobby, we were greeted by Robby and Allison who both made us feel like the hotel was our home away from home. They took the time to answer all of our questions, and directed us to our room. My husband and I were excited to see them when we retired for the night because they were so nice and friendly.

Our room was spectacular. We stayed in room 1216 and loved the fully stocked kitchenette, (I was personally very pleased with the generously stocked Keureg), dream bathroom, and baloney that overlooked the water. The king-sized bed was fitted with cool, clean sheets and was very comfortable.

Every day we ate breakfast downstairs on the porch called Beauty and the Feast. Desire and Enrique made us feel so welcome and special. They not only guided us through the menu, but also talked to us about the local area. It was a delight to wake up to familiar, happy people that made you feel like you had been friends for a while. I highly suggest the peach bellini and the Greek yogurt parfait.

My husband and I spent most of our time on the beach, but we did get to enjoy the spa on the fifth floor. We indulged in deluxe mani-pedis and a couples massage that was simply heavenly. The next time we go, we are going to dedicate an entire day on the fifth floor to enjoy the outside lounge.

Though we did try some of the local restaurants, we preferred to eat at the hotel and I am currently craving their food already. Their cocktails are also amazing with fresh muddled fruit.

This is the perfect place for you if you want to feel like you are surrounded by friends, love the beach, and need some pampering. I could not have asked for a better honey-moon.

-Laura Yamshchikov

Room Tip: The upper floors offer amazing views, I personally like being on the side instead of facing the ocea...
2 Thank Laura J
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Ms. Yamshchikov, I am so happy to hear how you enjoyed your honeymoon at The Atlantic. We are honored to enjoy a special spot in your memories. I am delighted that you enjoyed the efforts of our fantastic staff. I hope that you will return for your anniversary.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had enjoyed previous stays at the Atlantic and were excited to come back to an Oceanfront Suite on APR 24 but our exuberance was quickly dispelled upon arrival thanks to a mediocre staff, poor management and an unclean room.

Official check in time is 4 pm. We arrived at 4:30 and were informed that our oceanfront suite (Room 901) was not ready but that it would be shortly. Alas, after waiting an hour on their patio with no word I went in to check with Manny and another front desk employee only to be told that the room was still not ready, that the dishes were dirty in the sink and it would be another 20 minutes or so. When I asked Manny to let me speak with a manager, he pointed to a female employee next to him. When I asked this "faux" manager to just please give us another room she seemed amazed and put-out that I had a complaint, curtly informing me that "she would clean the dishes herself" and then stomping away to presumably do so. After 15 more minutes on the patio my wife and I went back to the front desk only to find the real manager (Ron) at the desk. He told us that the dishwasher was still running in the room and that we would have to wait - it is 6PM at this point and we did not care - we just wanted to have a room and told him as much.

Well, that was just the start of our troubles. We got into the room and it was not clean nor did it look like it had been in a while (please see the attached photos) dust everywhere - the toilet was not clean, mold was prevalent in the shower and on the a/c vents, dirty scuff marks on the furniture, and the sink in the bathroom was stopped up from the previous guest so we had to call down for maintenance to fix that (another 30 minutes)

Also - be warned - $500+ a night for a suite and there are no minibars! Not only that but your room service will depend on how busy the restaurant and bar are downstairs - it took 2 hours to get 2 diet pepsis from room service and that was after 4 phone calls to find out the problem. We still got the honor of paying for them too. Ron (remember Ron, our unapologetic GM?) did manage to knock off $150 from our room rate but that was only after my wife went down and complained about the service and the dirty room and demanded to have the room properly cleaned while we were at dinner.

If you are foodie don't bother eating at the hotel's restaurant Beauty and the Feast - it suffers from a catchall menu with unimaginative bland food designed to cater to the large variety of cruise ship passengers that now seem to be the Atlantic's stock and trade.

One very small silver lining was found with the Bell Captain and the Concierge - both were helpful and friendly. Quite frankly, given the 3+ hours that Ron and his staff cost me in grief when I should have been enjoying my stay, I would say Ron got off cheap. The hotel and its furnishings are dated and starting to show wear and tear, the hallways are worn, poorly lit and dreary. The once favorite of ours is in bad need of updating.

7 Thank SoFlaCouple
Dear Couple, I am terribly sorry to read of your disappointment. The issues you encountered were unpleasant and I apologize for the lack of effective follow up you experienced. This must have been extremely disappointing given your history with The Atlantic. Thanks to the information provided in your review, I will be following up with you to see if there's any way that we can regain your trust. I hope that we'll be able to show you that what you experienced in the past is still the typical excellent experience enjoyed by our guests.
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I just returned from the Atlantic after an amazing four day spa weekend. When we arrived around noon on Thursday, we were told our room was not yet ready. We enjoyed lunch in the outstanding Beauty and the Feast Restaurant onsite and where then told by the front desk that we could head up to the pool and spa on the 5th floor to enjoy the facilities. We still had our suitcases and the spa staff was very accommodating. Robin placed all 3 of our suitcases in the spa office and assured us our things would be safe and they were. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite overlooking the ocean and it was fantastic. Very comfortable beds and amenities throughout the room including a balcony the width of the room with multiple seating options to enjoy the wonderful view. Every staff member we encountered from the front desk to the valet was outstanding. Very friendly and willing to go the extra mile to guarantee an excellent stay. The newly opened Beauty and the Feast Restaurant was so delicious, we ate all but one of our meals there. This was my first time there and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Kim, We are thrilled that your Spa Weekend was a great success. Thank you also for recognizing Robyn and other staff members for their contributions - it means so much to us. I hope that you'll come back soon. Thanks again for your business.
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel was very good and very clean , we stayed 2 nights pre cruise and 2 nights at the end. We had an ocean front room 1206, and the view was great for people watching and having a night cap before bed. Unfortunately we left our IPad in the room when we left for our cruise, when we realised we rang from the ship the next day, only to be told that it was not in lost property.on our return for our last 2 nights we enquired again only to be told it could not be located (we definitely left it in the room) the female security was not much use kept on asking us which room and date,and said she would get back to us , we told her we would have to call the police so we could get a crime number, she never did get back to us,so I rang the front dest and spoke the front dest manager Ron , he was insisting we lost it and would not have it ,that we did not lose it , but it was left in the room, I said I would have to call the police , I asked him for a number and he told me to ring 911! When I said it was not an emergency and could he please find me a number to ring, reluctantly he did and said it would be a $2 connection charge! The police came and they were very nice and we did the report , even though Ron said it would be useless, he was very patronising and not very people friendly and just not interested , he than sent up a male security guard to take a report ,that was just to show that he was showing an interest. All other staff at the hotel were very helpful .I would stay again but to be wary about you belongings. I got my $2 phone call reimbursed by the front desk lady as I feel the hotel could have made the call for me.

Room Tip: A full ocean view on a high floor.
1 Thank birdie071
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Birdie, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that you felt that our staff was not helpful in investigating your lost item. Please be assured that we take lost property very seriously. I was involved in the investigation at the time and am available to offer further assistance. I am glad that you found the rest of your experience positive. Thank you for being our guest.
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Location: beachfront and within walking disance of a number of eateries, bars, convenience stores, etc.
Value: exceptional value - what you get is far baove what I expected for the price we paid.

The in-hotel food is above average in quality and convenience. The full kitchenette in the room was a wonderful suprise that we put to use in the evenings for a nack or two. The staff were friendly, kind, and colicitous towards us the whole time. On our last evening the waiter even comped us desert when some diet restrictions made our order difficult and complicated to execute.

I would return without hesitation and would reccomend it as the perfect Ft. Lauderdale destination.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kkimtis
Christopher G, General Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Kim, Thank you so much for your kind review. I am very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed dining with us and that you found us accommodating to your dietary requirements. Thank you for being our guest. We all hope to see you very soon.