“Our stay was wonderful - room, staff, amenities, etc. - all excellent.”

The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Simi Valley, California
“Our stay was wonderful - room, staff, amenities, etc. - all excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

We stayed at The Atlantic for six days during the first part of December and couldn't have been more pleased. The trip was part business and part vacation and while the weather didn't cooperate, everything about the hotel did. The hotel was immaculate, the service exemplary and the location perfect for access to the beach. All the staff - whether at the front desk or on the elevator or in the hallway were always friendly and pleasant. Concierge Janette and Sonny were great representatives of the hotel and always available to make a reservation, call a taxi or offer advice on what we might do in the area since - unfortunately - it wasn't really beach weather. Also, Richard in the hotel restaurant, Trina, was always friendly and helpful. While I don't know when we might return to Fort Lauderdale, we highly recommend The Atlantic and their staff. Thank you for a lovely few days. D. Jones

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
fllconcierge, Front Office Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2010
Dear Leslie1736,

Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your stay at The Atlantic Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to see you enjoyed your time with us and we appreciate your support!

We are beyond pleased that even given the slight chill we had in early December, that you enjoyed your 6 day stay with us. No matter what the weather brings, our beautiful property offers plenty to keep you nice and cozy. It is great to see you utilized the wealth of information that our Concierge is happy to share. Sonny and Janete are exceptional ambassadors of our Resort, so thank you for the recognition, it makes our job even more rewarding! It is also wonderful to see you enjoyed the friendly service that is provided throughout the hotel. Your comments will certainly be shared as we recognize our ambassadors.

Thanks again for the kind words regarding your stay at The Atlantic Resort & Spa. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back the next time you are in South Florida. Please contact me any time: pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com. I would be delighted to personally arrange for a future stay with us. Thank you for your business!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

We just returned from a four night stay at The Atlantic for our wedding anniversary and it was great! Beautiful lobby... clean and well-appointed rooms (fridge and microwave made it incredibly convenient)... outstanding staff. It was everything we were hoping for. The "buy 3 nights, get 1 free" deal made it a great value as well. Definitely step up for at least a partial ocean view room because it is fantastic to wake up to the sunshine and the ocean.

We didn't eat at Trina but it looked fantastic and we'll definitely hit it next time. My wife got a massage from the spa and said they did an excellent job.

As others have warned, valet parking is $28 a night so we skipped it and parked on the street. There were plenty of spots available within a four or five block walk -- worth it to me.

Another quick financial note: they don't provide beach chairs or an umbrella so if you want them you have to rent for $15/day per chair and $20 for the umbrella. That's $50 for two chairs and an umbrella -- kind of a rip off! I wish such a nice place could find a way to provide a few chairs for guests.

But really that was the only downer of the whole trip. It was a wonderful hotel in a good location and we highly recommend it.

P.S.- My wife says don't miss Sawgrass Mills. It's one of the largest outlet malls in the country with tons of upscale stores. It's about 15 miles straight west from the hotel and we made PLENTY of visits :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
fllconcierge, Front Office Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 December 2010
Dear DMD 1968,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Atlantic Resort & Spa during your recent visit to Beautiful Fort Lauderdale. It is a pleasure to see you enjoyed your experience, so thank you for sharing it on Tripadvisor!

Your review indeed provides an insiders perspective on a stay in our area, something that is indeed resourceful to future guests of The Atlantic. It is great to see that you enjoyed all of the touches that give the Atlantic such personality. Above and beyond that, thank you for the kind remarks about the exceptional service you received from our Ambassadors. It is wonderful to see that you appreciated the exceptional Ladies and Gentlemen that dedicate their time to our guests.

We certainly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us, it is wonderful to see that you have such a nice experience at The Atlantic Resort & Spa, and it would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back. Please contact me any time: pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com. Thanks again for the review and thank you for your business!

Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

Stayed 1 night during Boat Show. Walked in off street to get room they only had 2 left.
I whinged a bit about the $420 all in price inc of tax and parking she said she would be able to bring it down to $350.

We took the room but was not told it had was a disabled room, my husband being 6 foot had to crouch under the shower that stood no more than 4 foot high, and the pressure was no more than a trickle

I had shower water was cold, rang reception they sent somebody up to have a look he had to leave it running for about 15 minutes to get Luke Warm water to seep through!!

Said he would get it fixed so I could have a hot shower in morning he was very sweet and could not apoligise enough.

We went out for dinner at about 7pm to meet up with friends did not return until 11pm when we got to our room the door had been left wide open by room service!! I rang front desk AGAIN they again apologised.

Next morning still no hot water!!!!!!!!!!

When we checked out next day I discreetly spoke to manager about situation he again sweetly apologised, offerede me discount $50...looking at me credit card statement it appeared this was not given. Would off preffered my door to be closed properly and had hot water! If you pay what the Atantic Charge you should not have those sort of Compaints.

The staff are very good at apologising they just sound so false and our experience has proved how false they are.

I did ring the hotel and spoke to Jeff the manager who basically said I did get the discount.

But he probablly does not care what I think as he knows I am not going to hassle him again as I am not likely to stay there.

They staff may look the part but I would prefer genuine honest and reliable staff that can do the job properly.

When you stay at a 5 star hotel you expect the service of a 5 star hotel!!!

Pity they did not tell us we where getting a disable suite if they had been honest as they where swiping our card prehaps I now would of been giving them a glowing review.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ChrissieKHampshire
fllconcierge, Front Office Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Dear ChrissieKHampshire,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Atlantic Resort and Spa. We do appreciate your support and it is disappointing to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Our intention is to genuinely take care of each of our guests and ensure that any problems that arise are taken care of with precision and speed. I am sorry to see you felt any of our efforts were not successful or that any apology that was extended appeared to be false. I do agree that the problems you experienced are not to be expected at an establishment of our caliber. Please contact me directly, I am sorry to see that the promised credit was not applied to your bill, and I would like to see what I can do for you to show that we are indeed willing to make this right for you. I can be reached directly at pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com.

Thanks again for taking the time to review your experience, whether good or less than perfect, every review allows us to continue striving to provide exceptional service to our guests.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

I stayed at the Atlantic for one night in early November for a wedding at the Ritz. I booked via American Express' Fine Hotels & Resorts program which gave me the same rate as other sites online, but with the added bonuses of free automatic room upgrade on checkin if available, $100 in spa credits, free continental breakfast for two, and late 4PM checkout, all of which I took great advantage of.

The hotel charges $28/night for parking, so we opted to just take a cab instead of renting a car. The cab ride averaged about $20 each way pre-tip. We didn't spend enough time in the area to get a real sense of where things were, but the hotel was located right across the street from the beach (which seems to be true of every hotel along Ft. Lauderdale beach) and it was easy walking up and down to get to the Ritz for the wedding (0.6 miles away and an easy walk, passing the Westin, W, Hyatt, and a bunch of other hotels) and a few small plazas of shops and restaurants.

When we arrived around 7am, we weren't surprised that our room wasn't available yet, but they assured us they would call us as soon as a room was available, and checked our bags for us so we could be free to wander around. Around 10-10:30, I got the call, and upon entering the clearly upgraded room, was blown away. We'd booked a King Oceanview room, and got a King Oceanview suite which was huge - bigger than most 1 bedroom apartments, with a large living room, dining area, kitchenette (including a 2 burner stovetop), and a separate door off the foyer to the sleeping area. Through the door was a hallway leading to the bedroom, off of which was the nice, huge bathroom - long counter with 2 sinks, a large shower stall with great water pressure, and a separate toilet room. The bedroom had a comfortable king bed (pillowtop), a large widescreen LCD TV, and a lounging chair. There were also a ton of closets, one of which had the wifi router, so wifi signal was strong. There was also an ethernet cable on the large desk in the living room. You just had to log in with your name and room number to access the internet. The room was located on a back corner of the hotel, so most of the windows faced over Ft. Lauderdale, but there was a (quite small) balcony off of the living room which faced down the beach, giving a decent view of the ocean, though you more or less had to step out on the balcony or stand by the window to see it.

My only complaint about the room was that it wasn't all that sound-proofed, especially the bedroom. There weren't rooms around us except the Staff Room, which was right by the bedroom, so it was probably them we heard, but we could clearly hear conversations during the day through the wall, and were woken late Sunday morning (since we were trying to sleep in after the wedding) to pounding music with a driving bass beat.

I was eager to take advantage of the $100 spa credit, and probably pestered the spa staff overmuch before arriving with questions. Both Marrisa and Debra were helpful in booking my appointment before arrival, and then Marrisa graciously made a last minute swap for me an hour before my appointment when I discovered a deal that I hadn't been previously aware of. My scented Swedish massage was great (wish I remembered my therapist's name), and the spa facilities soothing, but I have to give a special shout-out to Debra at the front desk. There was White Lion tea available in the "ladies' meditation room" which I had loved, but when I went to see if they had any for sale, they were out of the particular variety I wanted. On hearing my disappointment, Debra promptly offered to give me some in a ziploc bag to take back to my room, and to my delight, gave me quite a good quantity, along with the tea sachets I'd need. I still have some left, and it's a lovely reminder of a great trip.

The pool area on the 5th floor is a bit small, but does have a lovely view of the ocean and a whirlpool hot tub at one end. It was a bit of a blustery chilly weekend when we went, so we didn't swim, but we did take advantage of the hot tub shortly before leaving, and it was nice. I didn't use the fitness center, but it seemed a decent size for a hotel, had TV monitors on the cardio equipment, and overlooked the pool area.

Our free continental breakfast credit was for Trina, the hotel restaurant. I was pleased to discover they treated it as a credit worth $11 (the price of the continental breakfast) rather than confining us to getting the continental. We tried the cornflake-crusted brioche french toast and cocoa waffle, and while the latter wasn't as chocolatey as we had hoped, they were both quite yummy.

The late checkout was fantastic, since we had a 5pm flight and could use our room until we left. The staff was very accommodating, just doublechecking that we planned to use the late checkout. Our friends who had to check out of their hotels earlier also appreciated this since they came to hang out in our large living room.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay at The Atlantic. It's a lovely hotel, with a wonderful staff at the front desk, in the spa, and in the restaurant. It's definitely on the smaller less resort-y side (the lobby wasn't that big, the pool area fairly small), and the styling was very dark - dark marble or granite, etc - which I like, but was a definite contrast to the very light-colored Ritz. I'd definitely stay there again if I were ever back in Ft. Lauderdale, and I'd definitely recommend it, especially with the AMEX deal!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear hardtosay,

Thank you very much for your support of The Atlantic Resort & Spa, we certainly appreciate your business and your review!

We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us, and we are especially glad to see you took advantage of the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts Program that is available to American Express Centurion and Platinum Card Holders. The program is certainly a great deal!

Your kind words about our ambassadors are especially helpful to us. It is a great pleasure to see that Debra went the extra step to ensure you were able to enjoy the fine tea that we offer in our private lounges in the spa. The White Lion Tea line is certainly a special one, it is great to see you enjoyed the tea along with the amenities Spa Atlantic has to offer.

We will certainly take your comments regarding the noise you experienced into consideration as we continue improving our product for our guests enjoyment and comfort. It is nice to see that you did enjoy the appointments of our Superior Suite, certainly a large floorplan! It is also great to see our Front Office Team was able to accommodate an early check-in, something we certainly aim to provide as often as we can.

Thanks again for taking the time to review your experience with us on Tripadvisor, we are beyond pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that when your travel plans bring you to Fort Lauderdale again, you will once again choose to stay at The Atlantic. Please contact me any time: pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com, it would be a pleasure to personally assist you.

Jacksonville Beach, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

My husband and I were here for a long weekend getaway. The hotel staff was very nice and accomadating. Our room was huge with the bedroom being separate form living area and small kitchen is provided. The balcony looked right out to the Atlantic ocean but was very smal balcony. My husband and I both had to turn sideways to get around the chairs and table. This was not an oceanfront room so next time I would stay in an Oceanfront room. The pool area is small and quiet. This is a relaxing quiet boutique hotel. Not for the party people. I did have a chance to use the spa and for a pedicure and manicure. This is not the place to get thisdone. The staff were not friendly and you felt like they had somewhere else to be the whole time. No extra's and I had a glass of water that stayed empty to the whole time, I was waiting for someone to offer me more water but never happened. I do recommend the hotel but not the spa. This is also in a great location. In walking distance to a ton of amazing restaurants.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
fllconcierge, Front Office Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2010
Dear WeekenderFL,

It is great to see you enjoyed a weekend away with us at The Atlantic Resort & Spa. Thank you for choosing us for an in-state vacation, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor!

We are happy to see you enjoyed all of the special touches that make The Atlantic a great place to unwind. We are proud to offer some of the best amenities to our guests, including our Spa. It is disappointing to see that you found any member of our staff less than accommodating, please rest assured that our new director of spa is working hard to ensure our high service standard is upheld and improved! We hope to welcome you back to Spa Atlantic for a relaxing break again sometime soon. Remember, you can always enjoy the private lounge area (sauna, steam and jacuzzi) anytime you stay with us!

Thanks again for sharing your experience, and thank you for your support of The Atlantic Resort & Spa!

Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

We only stayed one night , so can only comment the room and the restaurant, didn't get the chance to try any of the other amenities.

The location is great, right on the seafront, our room and balcony had great views over the pool and across the beach to the ocean, it can't be far from the port as we saw all the cruise ships departing late afternoon.

The room is the largest (non-suite) I think we've ever had, very spacious and well equipped. However whilst it was very clean and everything worked, if you looked, there were signs of age and use showing, nothing too major, but it's not too far off needing some refurbishment.

The restaurant "trina" was excellent, great food, staff and ambiance and not that expensive - can't fault it.

All the staff we dealt with were good, but I'd say the restaurant staff, especially our waiter Stanley, deserved special praise for being very knowledgeable and friendly, with some very good recommendations and attentive without being intrusive.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear BigAlCumbria,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to The Atlantic Resort & Spa, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us overall.

Special thanks for recognizing our ambassadors for the exceptional service that each of us strives to provide to our guests. Thank you for recognizing Stanley in Trina for the exceptional care he provided. Your comments will be shared with our team and are very motivational!

I am happy to inform you that we are in the final phases of a minor renovation in the hotel that involves refurbishing all guest room furniture, replacing our balcony chairs and re-decorating our hallways. Thankfully, none of these projects have proven to be inconveniences to our guests, as our engineering department is working to ensure comfort for all of our guests. I am glad to see you enjoyed watching the ships depart at night, one of my favorite things to do as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to review your experience at The Atlantic Resort & Spa, it is wonderful to see that you had a nice time. I hope that when you are in the area again that you will chosse to stay with us. Please contact me any time: pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com. It is a pleasure to be of service.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

The Atlantic Hotel is a wonderful find. I have stayed in multiple locations in the Lauderdale area, and this was by far the best.

The staff at the Atlantic superior to almost any hotel at which I've stayed. I received personal attention, and felt welcome from arrival to departure. It's rare to find a hotel of its size, where efforts of the staff to make your stay "personalized" are felt at every turn. This probably sets the Atlantic apart more so than any other of its wonderful qualities.

The rooms are extremely spacious, modern, and well-appointed. The ocean views are stunning, and the beds are extremely comfortable. I was an an ocean suite, and was amazed at the square footage. The rooms, along with the grounds, were very clean.

The pool has spectacular views of the coast. The poolside cafe/bar has "made-to-order" food, a knowledgeable staff, and fits its purpose nicely. The European-style spas, adjacent to the pool, rival any I've seen. If you're looking for a little relaxation, you'll certainly find it here.

Location is great...Las Olas is a quick cab ride away, and there are also shops/restaurants within walking distance. The oceanside bar next door is quaint, and the food there is extremely affordable. Concierge is as gracious and knowledgeable as they come.

If you're looking for a great stay in the FTL area, I would highly recommend the Atlantic. It's probably not the best place for children, but is otherwise a worthy addition to the coast.

• Stayed September 2010
Dear ColumbusOSU1,

Wow! Thank you for hitting the nail on the head with your review. Your experience is exactly what every member of our team strives for at The Atlantic Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed the specialties of our property that seperate us from other hotels.

We do pride the fact that while we are a small boutique style property, we offer every amenity you would expect from a large beach resort. From our Full Service Salon & Spa to our 2 restaurants, Concierge Service, Business Center, 24 hour in-room dining, and complimentary Fitness Center & Mens/Womens lounge (w/ Private Sauna, Steam & Jacuzzi), we offer a product that certainly stands up to some of our larger counterparts. We are actually the only hotel in Fort Lauderdale that allows our guests complimentary access to our Sauna, Steam and Jacuzzi facilities (no resort fees here).

Most importantly, thank you for complimenting our ambassadors. We all work as one team with the common goal of taking personal care of all of our guests needs. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed the friendly and empowered attitude that we value and encourage.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Atlantic the nex time you are in the Fort Lauderdale area, please contact me any time: pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com. Thanks again for taking the time to review your experience, and thank you for your business.